Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row - What you need to know!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row - What you need to know! General and State Specific questions/answers about Death Row - mail & more - whatever you need to know can probably be found here!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Donation Award 

Default 5th circuit court - appeals

My Pen Pal has just written to tell me that he has heard from his attorney and the federal judge has denied his appeal, so the only option he has left is the 5th circut court, if this fails he could be executed in the next 6 months to a year. I feel really pointless to him at the moment, because i am so far away what i can do is limited, also, i dont know what to say to him now. Is anyone familiar with the 5th circut? Do any inmates have luck with the 5th circut? i really dont know what to expect from all of this.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,295 Posts

welshcake, I understand how you feel!! Being so far away makes you feel as though you are helpless. I would suggest writing to him and explaining how you feel, I did that when I was in the same situation. My pal wrote to me and told me that he didn't want me to do anything but write to him and be a friend to him during this terrible time, and that is what I did. You also need to be honest with your pal and tell him how you are feeling, and I am sure that he will understand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ness For This Useful Post:
Rachel (04-15-2008), softheart (04-19-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Donation Award 

Thanx so much for the advice, nortynou. Im sat here trying to write a letter and it's hard, i dont even know how to start it, i feel so bad for him, and i dont want to write a miserable letter to him. i know he'd understand if i wrote how i was feeling but i dont want him to think of me feeling like that, i just want him to stay positive and concentrate on the appeal. The fact that he's in texas dosent make ke feel as positive tho!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Donation Award 

I know that it is extremely hard to say what you want and to be straight up and honest. But to be honest with you, even though it is really hard, you must tell him how you are feeling. My pal would get very distressed if I had not told him exactly how I was feeling and he cherished the fact that I was able to be honest with him. How about you tell him about how you feel in your letter, but also try to put other things in the letter and not just focus on the appeal. Try to find lots of jokes or things that will make him laugh or smile and hopefully then he won't see the whole letter as doom and gloom, so to speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ness For This Useful Post:
Rachel (04-19-2008), softheart (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Donation Award 

well the letter is done now, kept it as normal as i could, but i did put how i was feeling in it too. He has asked me for my work number (im in the uk) so that his parents can get in touch with me because it's quicker than letter (they dont have internet ) i put it in the letter like he asked but i dont know if it was a good idea.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Donation Award 

nortynou, thanks' for the help, i really feel like a fish out of water with it all, being so far away and not completley understanding how it all works.
Ness (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Donation Award 

That is my pleasure!! I guess it is just something that we have to get used to is the fact that we are unable to visit and the best thing that we can give them is our friendship through the form of a letter.

I am sure that your pal is going to appreciate your honesty with him and I am sure that he will also be honest with you and explain even deeper feelings on what he is feeling about this appeal.

Please keep me updated on how things are going.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Donation Award 

will do, and thanks again, its nice to be able to come here with people who understand, because not everyone dose. a lot of people i have come across think dp is ok. Whenever something happens here and its on the news, it irritates me to hear people say "bring back hanging". So being able to cvome here with people so understanding is great.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,591 Times in 5,574 Posts

Hi Louise,
You may find the following link useful.
It is pretty up to date, I think.

This may give you a better idea of the appeals process:
http://www.abolitionnow.de/stages.htm

Rach x
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
"bring back hanging".

I get that here alot too!! I have learnt to just turn the other cheek albeit sometimes hard to do!!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Donation Award 

i put it down to ignorance and people not knowing what they are talking about. they would soon change the tune if it was a family member!!
sweetnina (04-24-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
they would soon change the tune if it was a family member!!

My thoughts exactly!!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

welshcake, I know how you are feeling to a point. The man I started writing to as a friend soon became a very important man in my life. I received a letter today. He is in Florida. So far he is doing very well with the decision that the U.S. Supreme Court has made. He is very concerned as there is one friend of his in particular that has a warrant. Now they are just waiting for the governor to start signing again.
We are very fortunte that he was contacted by an attorney as his attorney had retired. They were supposed to go to court but there wasn't a court reporter so it has been delayed until June 7th. He is very happy about that as it gives his new attorney more time to work on the case. Now we wait and pray for the best.
I wish your friend the best when it comes to the 5th Circuit. I will certainly keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Keep writing to him and stay as positive as you can. Let him know that you are there and as norty said....let him know how you are feeling. It's very important to keep all lines of communication open, and this means all that you are feeling. Best wishes to all of you!!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Donation Award 

The governor already signed the warrant for my friend in Florida...now I am waiting for his letter...I havent heard from him since the Supreme Court Decision and I am really scared and frustrated. When will his name be on the execution list?
I will stay by his side but extremely hard times are coming up with this.

FOR MY FRIEND MARK
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. you are free now Honey
Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks for all of the advice guy's, it really means a lot.
i havent heard off him since the decision, but i dont think the last 2 letters i send ever got to him, so i have sent another, and a card. I hope they get to him.
Patti, i hope your friend in Florida has a positive outcome, i'll keep you both in my thoughts.
Sweetnina, im so sorry about your friend, i hope something drastic will happen to change it all, for everyone on dr....it surley cant go on forever.