Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Question Unit Classification Committee

Hi,
Does anyone know how speaking to the Unit Classification Committee during intake can affect an appeal? They speak to you with your case file in front of them and I need to know if it's in your best interest with an appeal in the works to just tell them you cannot discuss the details of your case without the permission of your lawyer. These people set the classification during intake. I would imagine it's not in ones best interest to talk to them about the details, but does it make things worse if you refuse?
Thanks
Calpurnia
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 08:14 AM

I was under the impression they just set his classification level. I don't think they ask about details of his case. But I could be wrong. Someone will be along with more info though.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM

When an inmate first arrives at his unit of assignment, he goes before the Classification Committee. It is led by either a warden or a major or the unit health administrator. There has to be one classification casemanager and one rep from the medical facility. All they do at the committee is discuss what time earning class they are going to assign the inmate. Then they decide which custody he'll be assigned to (minimum, medium, close). Then they decide what kind of job he'll have and that depends on his custody level and his health. If he's on psych meds and can't work in the sun, they won't assign him to an outside job, etc. They also have to make sure he's housed according to his health needs. For example: if he has a history of seizures, they'll try to have him assigned a lower bunk instead of an upper bunk. So, that is what Classification Committee does. They don't have anything to do with your case, conviction, appeal, etc. jLH
Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Before Classification at intake they will do an extensive interview with you about your crime, prior crimes, family life, sexual preferance etc. They get very indepth aout your crime and ask a million questions. This is called " sociology" and is one of the things you must have completed before being classified. Sorry Im not addressing your question about how this could affect an appeal, but if i was concerned about it, i would just tell the person interviewing you that you are under appeal and have been advised not to discuss your case.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:14 PM

You gave some good advice, BigD.