Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Classification Committee Question

Hello-I do not know where to put this question. My friend has been at VSP for some time, and he is being transferred soon. He went to before the Classification Committee, and was told he would be transferred to Stockton. I saw him this past week-end, and he said that he was told he would be leaving this week for Folsom. This came from nowhere, and I am trying to find out, as is he, why this would happen. Any info would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,162 Times in 8,180 Posts

This happens a lot. Especially if you're new to the system. They shoot for the 3 choices the inmates gives at committee, but the bottom line until you arrive and get off the bus, you just don't know. He may find himself at yet another prison by the time he's done being shuffled around. They consider a lot of things during placement including security level, medical/mental health needs, substance abuse treatment and most importantly open bed space. That accounts for the last minute changes.

When he's told to pack up his stuff, he might be able to get one last call in. If not, watch the inmate locator and as soon as he's checked in at his home facility, it will show there. That may take 2-4 days. Don't panic, he'll pop up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-19-2019), Patrickj (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:15 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
This happens a lot. Especially if you're new to the system. They shoot for the 3 choices the inmates gives at committee, but the bottom line until you arrive and get off the bus, you just don't know. He may find himself at yet another prison by the time he's done being shuffled around. They consider a lot of things during placement including security level, medical/mental health needs, substance abuse treatment and most importantly open bed space. That accounts for the last minute changes.

When he's told to pack up his stuff, he might be able to get one last call in. If not, watch the inmate locator and as soon as he's checked in at his home facility, it will show there. That may take 2-4 days. Don't panic, he'll pop up.
Thanks. He is not new to the system at all... and has been in many years. He wasn't given choices that I know of, and understand all too well that things change at any moment. I will continue to go with the flow, and I have sadly learned not to panic. Too much experience with all of this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spunkylark For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-19-2019), miamac (11-18-2019), sidewalker (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Site Moderator

Was the move his request or because of a Level Drop? Or another reason? I only ask because with the integration happening, I know people are not being given a choice. :/
Old 11-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Default Classification Committee

No, he wasn't dropped a level. He was attacked, and he and the other inmate went to Ad Seg. They said he couldn't stay, as he now had an enemy on the yard. Makes no sense to me as he was was one who was attacked. He is a level II. I am hoping he will not go to Ad Seg wherever he ends up.
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkylark For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkylark View Post
No, he wasn't dropped a level. He was attacked, and he and the other inmate went to Ad Seg. They said he couldn't stay, as he now had an enemy on the yard. Makes no sense to me as he was was one who was attacked. He is a level II. I am hoping he will not go to Ad Seg wherever he ends up.
Ahh, OK. I see. They do move people even if they weren't the instigator because they can't guarantee there isn't someone else looking to finish what was started.

Hope it all works out for the best in the end. These moves are stressful. Hang in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-19-2019), Patrickj (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Default Classification

Thanks . Appreciate you responding. Now, it's just a wait and see. Fingers crossed that it ends well, and we can move on.
miamac (11-18-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Changing Levels

Is it common for someone to go from a Level II prison to a level IV if their level has not changed?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Thanked 1,571 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkylark View Post
Is it common for someone to go from a Level II prison to a level IV if their level has not changed?
In a word, no. CDCR is not allowed to place in higher level. Maybe on a temporary basis. Very temporary. There would have to be a reason. Unusual circumstance like this, committee decision to put someone in higher level would almost certainly need to be reviewed, maybe audited.

Does not make sense.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:55 PM

Default Classification Committee

Thanks for responding. I am hoping that this is just a holding place for him until they decide where he should be. Just trying to be as informed as I can.
sidewalker (11-19-2019)