Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

View Poll Results: How long did it last
1 year or less 5 19.23%
2-3 years 6 23.08%
4-5 years 3 11.54%
6 + years 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Why did your MWI relationship end?

Hello!

Recently Ive been reading up on statistics on how long your typical MWI relationship last. Sadly, it looks like a lot of these relationships ends within the first two years.

So, for those of you who broke up with you MWI partner, how long did it last? And why did it end?

And for those of you who are still in the relationship, for how long have you been together?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cisskatt For This Useful Post:
aweitzm1 (10-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Blueyes

Been together 12 years.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Lifer Found Suitable

20 years (w/ a 7 year break)

I was 30 and to keep it real, I was frustrated on all levels; mentally, financially, sexually, and the routine of being a prison wife began to weigh me down. I loved him, I just quit showing it. I'm 39 now and know how to incorporate my relationship w/ my daily life so that it doesn't weigh me down into the vulnerable depressed state that it use to.
The Following User Says Thank You to 408MoonGem For This Useful Post:
kvinna20 (12-19-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,003 Posts

E and I were together around 3 years. Prior to that we had spent a year getting to know one another. I was in a relationship when I had started writing to penpals. E became my best friend. I am very grateful to have met E. The relationship with him forever changed the course of my life in ways that I Cannot even begin to describe.

The relationship ended because he began to use drugs. I was a heroin addict for a good 7 years. That is a boundary for me. I lent him money that he promised to pay back and I told him if he couldn't was he prepared for our relationship to forever change. And he agreed. He was not able to pay that money back and I knew that trust had been broken. When I found out he was using, I told him I loved him dearly but refused to go down that path with him. We still talked off and on until he passed.

As for JT. We were together about a year and half. It was a quick fast flame that ended as quickly as it was lit. It just wasn't meant to be. I felt jaded by that relationship.

Since then I penpalled here and there. I never wanted to be involved with anyone in that position again. So I chose to be single for a while. I don't think I could say I regret any of those relationships because they both taught me something.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:09 PM

8 months. We broke up due to jealousy issues, he felt I didn’t spend enough time with him (despite talking every other day on the phone, letters, and messages every day) and it got to be too much. I realize a lot goes into this, people who end up with MWI and I realized there are some guys out there (in prison and out) who will guilt trip ladies for not being always immediately available when THEY want them to be. I commend all of you in what sounds like healthy relationships who are respecting each other and being there for each other in tough times.
The Following User Says Thank You to LotusBlossom23 For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:41 PM

We met through a pen-pal site in November of 2015, I went to visit him a few months later and we became a couple. We stayed together through the rest of his bid, he was released to a halfway house in January 2019, we stayed together during his time there and then he was officially released April 11, 2019, we stayed together until we broke up at the end of July. So it lasted over 3 years.

Why did it end? *sigh* A few reasons. One being that I painted a much prettier picture than the reality of it all. I focused on the good and tried to ignore the bad. I also wasn't perfect in the relationship and I let my issues (mental health stuff) negatively impact the relationship. Maybe if I had been healthier, more stable in my life, the relationship may have worked, but I don't know and now it doesn't matter. As much as I thought we were meant to be, it just wasn't meant to be. I'm still heartbroken over it ending, but I'm moving forward.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:16 PM
It is what it is
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,248 Posts

Our story together is a long one, but I'm going to try and keep my post short.

My MWI has served almost 19 1/2 years of a 50 year sentence. Of which he to serve 100%. Unless the laws change, he will be 70 years old when he's released. He came into my life in March of 2011. We became a couple in May of 2012. And he proposed in September of 2015. I think. I can't remember anymore. And I ended it in July of this year.

I didn't end it because of anything he did. He's a wonderful man and is the only man who has ever truly loved me. And still loves me. We definitely had the emotional aspect of the relationship. A true intimacy. But the constant yearning for the man that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with yet had no access to; the loneliness of this life and all the crap you have to deal with outweighed the emotional intimacy we shared and just became too much.

And now I have a 15 month old son after already raising a son who is now 22. Without getting into all the details, despite what I've been through with the father of my baby, my MWI has been there through it all. I broke his heart, yet he still wanted us to get back to the way we were. I used to love me some him, that's for sure, but after experiencing time with a man here in the free world and despite the real love we shared I just became too broken after what I've experienced with the father of my baby and I'd just rather be alone. I no longer have the strength to endure prison anymore. Especially now that I'm raising a son all over again. To some degree I'm saddened that what we had together is over, but I'm so thankful to have experienced real love. And that love has enabled us to still remain friends. He's my best friend and we talk on the phone a few times per week. I truly hope our friendship can endure.