Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney View Post
Has anyone heard if Big Sandy is on lockdown? If the prison is on lockdown is the satellite camp also on lockdown?
i havent heard from my husband either and he calls everyday so i am assuming they are on lockdown
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepncuellar View Post
i havent heard from my husband either and he calls everyday so i am assuming they are on lockdown
Yep, They're on lockdown...

USP- BIG SANDY- NOVEMBER 29, 2009

Between 2:00 and 3:00pm, three officers were beaten down by several inmates. The three officers were pat searching inmates when 2 inmates turned and started assaulting the three officers, while other inmates joined in. The three officers were transported to a local hospital with concussions. One officer was transported to a trauma center in West Virginia looking to have reconstructive surgery on his facial area’s that were broken. Two of the inmates were transported to another facility. U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked down at this time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookiealbright For This Useful Post:
rooney (12-01-2009), stepncuellar (12-01-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney View Post
Has anyone heard if Big Sandy is on lockdown? If the prison is on lockdown is the satellite camp also on lockdown?
Not sure, but I don't think it affects the camp.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepncuellar View Post
my husand just got to big sandy 2 weeks ago. he got a 20 year sentance. i live in texas and wanted to go visit him in february but i hear they are always on lockdown. im scared to take off up there for a 23 hour drive and then get there just to find out that i cant see him because they happen to be on lockdown. is if worth planning a trip? if i plan to leave on a thursday and i call and everything is okay for me to go and then i happen to get up there on saturday and they are on lockdown for one reason or another will they really have no consideration to let me see him considering i just drove cross county to see him???? can anyone help me out??

Yes, they definitely will turn you away at the gate! This happened to me a few weeks ago. I had been emailing my man all that morning, and then when I got to the gate.."Sorry we can't let you in because we are on lockdown". I tried explaining that I came all the way from Boston, they didnt care
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

This jail is out of control! I feel bad for our men that have to deal with this on a daily basis, but I also feel for the co's too. Not all of them are assholes, they are just tryna do their job, make a living and take care of their family. When I was there this past weekend, one of the CO's told me that the inmates in the SHU tried to burn her jacket! They need to bring reform, change, something needs to happen in there for the safety of our men and the staff
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,631 Posts

They need more programs and meaningful jobs to keep inmates busy and they need to offer more incentives for positive behavior. The lengthy sentences without any hope of earlier release doesn't help at all - and then the BOP policies cut people off from their families on the outside and they lose all hope and perspective. I think they should offer travel vouchers for gas/airline fare and motel costs for the families in exchange for the inmate's good behavior. Z.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizsqueen View Post
Yes, they definitely will turn you away at the gate! This happened to me a few weeks ago. I had been emailing my man all that morning, and then when I got to the gate.."Sorry we can't let you in because we are on lockdown". I tried explaining that I came all the way from Boston, they didnt care
dam thats sum fucked up shit, well thanks for letting me know before i drove almost halfway across the country just to be told i cant see him
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Default "Don't Believe Everything You Read"

After spending way too many hours reading everything I could find on this site about Big Sandy I sent a frantic letter to the love of my life. He has been there for the last 5 years or so. He was in PA for the previous 5. I asked specific questions -like about the lockdowns and the food. Please know this is coming from someone who will have spent 11 years down in a few months. He missed his daughter growing up, the birth of his grandson, the last years of his mother's life and countless other milestones I'm sure you all can relate to. He spent almost TWO years in the hole for not ratting on people in PA. When they finally let him out of solitary, they sent him to Big Sandy. I won't try to make it seem like he's happy there, but from what he tells me, it's about as can be expected. He doesn't complain. He seems to have come to a really big crossroads; he realised that the prison's job is to make him miserable. If he makes the most out of whatever turd they are handing him he finds a little joy in knowing they have failed- at least for that moment.
My brother has been in and out of prisons for the last twenty years. When I look at these two men, and how they have "handled" themselves and their sentences, I am amazed at the differences. My brother was always kicking and screaming and complaining. Complaining about how "unfair" the prison(s) were. Food, visits, clothes....anything and everything that could be "unfair" was and was immediatly screamed about. All of this from a "short-timer". The other man in my life is anything but. While still looking at at least 10 more years he took everything with a grain of salt, found happininess where he could and let go of the things that hurt him but he could do nothing about, and fought for the things he had a shot at winning. The key,it seemed, was to know where that line was. He picked his battles, so-to-speak.
Judges don't promise that sentences will be carried out in fairness. That seems to be one of the many rights you lose when you get a number.
My heart goes out to all of you who find yourselves alone waiting for the ones you love. I know it is so hard. But don't give these prisons the satisfaction. Don't allow them to cause even greater misery in your lives as well as in those lives of your loved ones. Roll with most punches. Sympathise with your loved ones without feuling their misery. Be a light when they are in the dark. Bring them thoughts of love and hope when all they feel is pain.
So the response I got when I asked "Is it really THAT bad!!!??!?" Was "Don't believe everything you read." No - it seems it isn't really as bad as this site in particular makes it out to be. It sucks and it definitely takes a period of getting "used-to". Lockdowns are par for the course. Visits will not be easy- sometimes impossible. But there will come an end. Keep your eye on the prize and help your loved ones to do so, too. God Bless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hrmny For This Useful Post:
CHINA BABY (01-19-2010), cookiealbright (12-08-2009)
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Does anyone know if Big Sandy is on lockdown? I haven't heard from my husband.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Is anyone else not receiving calls from Big Sandy?

Hello ladies,

I have not heard from my husband since Tuesday. He didn't call us on Christmas Eve, or Christmas. I called up there, and was told that he was not in the hole and that he probably ran out of minutes. I know for a fact he did not, because we were saving them for Christmas so he could hear our daughter open her presents. This is not like him to not call or email. On a few occasions he has had another inmate call me if something happened or couldn't get to a phone. I am completely at a loss and don't know what to do. He checks in everyday, and has never missed a holiday. I am worried here, but don't know what else I can do. Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,362 Times in 4,631 Posts

There's no way of knowing until you hear from him. Sometimes at an institution, just one unit will have phone privileges or email taken away for a short time because of some infraction, without the inmate(s) being taken to the hole or a total lockdown. Or maybe he just couldn't get that dang "voice recognition" system to work - or there were long lines for the phones. It could be anything ... hang in there! Z.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Big Sandy?

Hello All -

I write this after reading many of your stories and with a heavy heart having just talked to my younger brother who is currently in Oklahoma FTC awaiting transfer to Big Sandy.

I am currently seeking any information you can tell me about this place. I am extremely concerned/worried/scared. Everything you all were when you first heard of your loved one going away.

After reading some of the things about Big Sandy I was seeking any information.

1. Is it really as dangerous as everyone says?
2. Would a 24 year old be treated worse because of his age?
3. Do I have to worry about him being hurt in there even if he keeps his nose clean and head down?

4. Any additional information.

Sorry if this sounds so ignorant I am just SO SO SO WORRIED! He has never sounded more scared in his life.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Hello cutie..when my BF was designated to BS a few years ago I was really scared also and he as well. He was 40 yrs old and this was his 2nd go around with the feds..1st time at a USP. Once he got settled in he said it was just like any other fed prison and all the same ruled applied. He spent alot of time in the library cause he was working on filing a motion. He signed up for the programs his cousolor suggested so he could get his points lowered and could apply for a transfer 18 months later. He didn't get into any of the prison drama or gossip and just kept pretty much to his self and a couple of the guys that were also just doing thier time.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM

tolong, thank you SO MUCH for your response! It is REALLY appreciated. I am going to have to pass this info onto him and hopefully he isn't as frightened as he is.

I feel better. Thank you =)
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Oh, your so welcome cutie. I don't know if this helps..but shortly after my BF got to Big Sandy, he signed up for the "Challenge Program". The guys that are in the program are housed together in a seperate unit. That Unit seemed to be the quietest as far as any of the other ones. Not totally silent..but quieter..because at the least the inmates in the program where working towards figuring out what some of thier issues are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
MizPablo1520 (03-28-2010), Zelda50 (02-28-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

I don't want to scare you, but that place is terrible!!!! I'm sure if he keeps to himself and stays out the way then he will be fine, but Big Sandy is no joke. I think his age might work against him, not due to threats from older inmates. But there are a lot of young men in there around his age, and of course he's gonna want to be around people his own age. He's only really going to be able to hang out with people from his state and if his state gets into it with a group from another state, then he will be required to stand up and fight.
Just tell your son not to get caught up, don't trust no one and just focus on doing his time. He should sign up for as many programs as possible just to keep himself busy.
Wishing you and your son all the best!!!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Tolong, that DOES help. Any advice helps. I told him about that program last night. (he hasn't been transferred yet, they are saying next week they will transfer him). I hope he gets into it so he can be housed in that unit. Any little bit helps!

DisQueen- He is my brother, not my son =) I'm only 28! haha. Anyway, thanks for your honesty. Yes, we are both very scared. He's not in a gang and has no gang affiliations so I was hoping that would work for him. He is from a really small town in Illinois and says he probably won't know anyone there, we still have no idea why they are transferring him there of all places but I guess one really never knows what the government is thinking.

I'm just bracing myself. Thank you ALL for your help. Reading every little bit of advice on Big Sandy helps me and my brother immensely.
The Following User Says Thank You to cutiemix1985 For This Useful Post:
tolong (02-21-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Hey ladies, has anyone heard from their men? My husband lost his phone and canteen for 30 days because he wouldn't go through the x-ray machine! Anyway, I have not received an email from him since Saturday. So of course I don't know if its due to a lockdown or if something is up. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 AM

@missinghim97,
My man lost his canteen and phone privilages for the same reason. I have not heard from him since saturday either. No emails or calls. Something is up...As soon as you hear something let me know and I will do the same.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,601 Posts

My BF is in transit and today I received a letter from him (that was written on the eve of his transfer) stating he was told he'll be moved to BS as well. He was told it was one of the worst Max facilities and I'm scared as hell as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM

tolong, is there a waiting list for the challenge program?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM

Yes..there was a wait to get into the program, but it was because the group had already started and they didn't let him join in midway. He was talking to the chaplain and not that they made any special arraingments or anything, but once he was approved he was moved to that unit to wait for the next start up.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM

@lulu. Hey I just got a letter from my husband. They have been on lockdown since Saturday. Hopefully you have heard from hom already.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Well my brother finally arrived, I found out by checking online...anyway, he apparently arrived yesterday. How long is it usually after arriving that they are able to make phone calls?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Im happy I log on because I was wondering if they were on lockdown since I havent heard from.