Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Curious..I am so sorry for your family. I really wish you luck in trying to find out the truth about what happened, but I feel you will be on an uphill climb. The inmates will really only hear the rumors, most of which will be information the CO's put out there. BOP is extreamly tight lipped..but I do wish you luck and you are in my prayers. My BF transfered out a few months ago and believe me when I tell you Big Sandy has some serious issues at hand.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,377 Times in 4,637 Posts

I just posted a news article in the Federal forum news section about the inmate being shot and killed by a C.O. Z.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_mind View Post
Hello, I want to introduce myself. I am completely new here so please bare with me. I personally know the guy that was killed. His name is Warren Back. He is the father of my grandson. I have been trying to find out info ever since I got news he was in the hospital. I have written to newspapers etc.. The prison has told his Father different stories. We have heard so many different stories about this. The first being that a "gang" jumped him & gutted his abdomen & smashed in his Private area. The other was that he was in a fight with someone & a guard shot him. I heard that the guards are NOT allowed to use violence like that & there are other ways to stop someone. PLEASE if ANYONE can find out any info about "Warren" the "Real Truth" regardless what it is I would appreiate it. Thanks!!
I hate to say welcome to you at a time like this. My deepest condolences to you, your grandson and your whole family. I wish you all the best in finding out what really happened. Not to get off track, but my brother was murdered 8.5 years ago and the police covered that shit up sooo well that even to this day, we still dont know what really happened! So I can definitely relate to how you are feeling and will be feeling and if you ever need someone to just vent to, if you ever need an ear, I'm here. Its a damn shame, a real damn shame. They really need to change their definition of Justice cuz this is just some straight up bullshit!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,776 Posts

Isn't Back the one who taunted police because they couldn't catch him? And was on America's Most Wanted and called them and taunted them too? And was in a KY county jail and put in isolation for trying to rape another inmate?

Last edited by sass4221; 10-29-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Warren Back.....what happened???

Yes... that would be the "Kingpin". Some people are better off incarcerated in a cell than stumbling out into the world on parole. This "Ace" was one of them.
It would be interesting to learn the story behind his death,...it would help close the book on a saga that should have ended years ago. Who was this dude that he stabbed? Why did Ace have it in for this one inmate? What of this guard that decided to shoot to kill? There are always questions.
Warren was not a nice man. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people.
RIP Ace......you lived a longer life than you probably deserved.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
I just posted a news article in the Federal forum news section about the inmate being shot and killed by a C.O. Z.
How would I go about finding that article? Sorry I am new to all this & actually I happened to stumble across this site. I googled Big Sandy Prison /Inmate killed & thats how I found this site. Actually the article I choose to check out said "Big Sandy on Lockdown etc...." When I tried to get back to this site last night I couldn't get to it because of ALL the choices so I had to go to my History. I did Bookmark it as well now.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stool hand Luke View Post
Yes... that would be the "Kingpin". Some people are better off incarcerated in a cell than stumbling out into the world on parole. This "Ace" was one of them.
It would be interesting to learn the story behind his death,...it would help close the book on a saga that should have ended years ago. Who was this dude that he stabbed? Why did Ace have it in for this one inmate? What of this guard that decided to shoot to kill? There are always questions.
Warren was not a nice man. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people.
RIP Ace......you lived a longer life than you probably deserved.
Ok everyone has there opinion & I'm not one to Judge anyone! You must have your reason's to feel this way & that is your business. I want to explain further about Warren & my connections etc.. HOWEVER, I have to get ready to go to His Viewing in a few minutes but I will try to get back on here this evening or sometime Sat. as his funeral is early Sat. morning & beggers night around here & I have custody of 3 of my grandkids soooo I have to do the Trick or Treat thing!! I will NOT be offended for anything anyone has to say about Warren. I have a few stories myself I could tell. I was just "CURIOUS" as to what happened FOR "REAL" thats all. I know we will NEVER really know all thats behind his killing. Only Warren will now that! I'm curious how you knew him ?? Thanks . gotta hurry & get dressed & I'll write later! Thanks!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 PM

Did anyone hear that Big Sandy might be where they hold all the gang members? I can't remember what it is called, but my husband mentioned that he heard it would be on lockdown 23 hours a day and anyone not in a gang would be moved. Just wondering if anyone heard anything.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Donation Award 

They already made Lewisburg USP into a Special Management Institution, where they send those inmates they believe are creating problems in the regular USP's. There is also the Florence ADMAX facility. I have not heard anything about them creating another SMI. In Lewisburg, inmates are placed in lockdown and then are subject to the "step down" program where they earn more privileges/less restrictions through positive behavior. I think these type of prisons are inhumane and I think society should be concerned about inmates being placed in them without due process and without any treatment offered for possible mental health issues, cognitive thinking problems, etc.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:38 PM

Missinghim..I think ALL the prisons are full of gangs and it's a real balancing act to keep the USP's with the right balance. Alot of the inmates at BS are DC inmates.
I heard, and I want to be really careful about repeating and listening to rumors, that Big Sandy was built as a lockdown prison. I heard that the CO's want it to be run that way also. I always wondered why there are so many problems in 2 of the 4 units all the time, yet the whole prison goes on lockdown. I wonder why they can't seem to seperate the inmates a little better. But another problem is there are alot of lifers at Big Sandy, they don't get any visits since the prison is so remote, and they really have nothing to live for..no hope.

Last edited by tolong; 10-31-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Question BS Lockdown 23hrs daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinghim97 View Post
Did anyone hear that Big Sandy might be where they hold all the gang members? I can't remember what it is called, but my husband mentioned that he heard it would be on lockdown 23 hours a day and anyone not in a gang would be moved. Just wondering if anyone heard anything.
All I can do as far as giving anyone any info is to tell you only what I "hear" & how I hear it. Warren stayed in close contact to one of his friends here & they wrote all the time to each other. when he heard about what happened to Warren he came over to my house to see if we heard & to talk to my Husband & we talked for Hrs. He told me alot of stories about Warren ( good & bad) One thing he did tell me was that the prisoners were locked down 23hrs. out of the day & were only out 1 hr. per day. How true this is I don't know BUT, it makes sense to me. Why would someone thats at BS tell someone that if it wasn't true?? Who Knows, Right?? Hope this helps! Thanks!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Curious mind, when BS goes on lockdown all the inmates are locked in thier cells for 23 out of 24 hrs at the least. Sometimes they are locked in 24 hr. and after a couple/few days they are let out for a shower (approx 1 hr) and locked back in. The lockdown can last a few days and sometimes a few weeks dependending on whats going on. The inmates are fed bag lunches during lockdown. Some prisons operate with the prisoners being locked in 23 out of 24 hrs ALL the time. They never get anymore freedom than that 1 hr. The rumor is BS was designed and built with that in mind and that the CO's would prefer to have it that way. Lockdowns at BS have always been an issue, but it seems like in the past 6-9 months the lockdowns are becomming more and more frequent. The question are, is it because the inmates are the worst of the worst, or could it be the CO's are instigating some of the problems so that it will become a lockdown prison. A CO's job becomes alot easier when you don't have to deal with general population, main line, recreation etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
curious_mind (11-02-2009), Zelda50 (11-02-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM

I understand the lock down procedure but I thought someone was wanting to know if BIG SANDY kept the Inmates locked up 24/7 & I was telling what I heard about that which the answer would have to be YES they do from what an Inmate had told someone . Wouldn't some of you like to be "A FLY ON THE WALL" their to see & hear what REALLY goes on??
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Curious Mind..you've heard wrong. Big Sandy does not keep the inmates locked down 24/7. Only if there is an incident. My BF was there for 2 yrs and just recently transfered.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolong View Post
Curious mind, when BS goes on lockdown all the inmates are locked in thier cells for 23 out of 24 hrs at the least. Sometimes they are locked in 24 hr. and after a couple/few days they are let out for a shower (approx 1 hr) and locked back in. The lockdown can last a few days and sometimes a few weeks dependending on whats going on. The inmates are fed bag lunches during lockdown. Some prisons operate with the prisoners being locked in 23 out of 24 hrs ALL the time. They never get anymore freedom than that 1 hr. The rumor is BS was designed and built with that in mind and that the CO's would prefer to have it that way. Lockdowns at BS have always been an issue, but it seems like in the past 6-9 months the lockdowns are becomming more and more frequent. The question are, is it because the inmates are the worst of the worst, or could it be the CO's are instigating some of the problems so that it will become a lockdown prison. A CO's job becomes alot easier when you don't have to deal with general population, main line, recreation etc.
i think its a combination of bad men and lack of staff...they seem to be understaffed for one and it is convenient to always lockdown over the weekend...but if shit wouldnt pop off all the time they wouldn't have too..so there u have your rotten eggs in the basket ruining it for the rest, hense(bad men/worst of worst)...then the pen is like ok,screw all of you...no visits...haha.so everyone tell ur people to behave and influence others around them.so no more bad stuff happens to the people we love cuz i simply cant take it....
The Following User Says Thank You to standbyhisside1 For This Useful Post:
tolong (11-03-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM
<3 Sammy's Girl 4 Life <3

Hello,
I am here for information on this lockdown stuff that is being said about Big Sandy. My boyfriend is there and he is also hearing rumors about this place going to be made into a lockdown facility. Has anyone else heard about this and if so what is the projected time frame for this, because he is actually waiting on a transfer from those walls of horror.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Donation Award 

As said above, I have heard nothing about USP Big Sandy being made into a continuous lockdown facility, also known as a Special Management Institution. I think the BOP is still struggling with operations of the newly created Lewisburg SMI, which the C.O.s say is understaffed.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Default big sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinghim97 View Post
Good thing it was only for that one night. They were let out the next morning.My husband used to be at Hazelton and they had email. It was so nice. I am glad they finally got them at Big Sandy. It makes a huge difference. Epecially because we use up our minutes way too fast. We have no self-control with them minutes!
I hope my brother thinks when he gets there,to start emails,I told him to.I pray he emails me regularly.He is going to big sandy and my fahter is going to butner.I miss them so much,I cry about this everyday.My father was given 2 years and my brother three and a quarter.I wonder how I am going to get through this time.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Default big sandy-any info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizsqueen View Post
My husband is there and I was just visiting out there last weekend.
Its the worst BOP in the country, they are constantly going on lockdowns for fightings, stabbings etc. I hate everything about Big Sandy and can't wait for my man to transfer out.
I hate the thought of this.My baby brother was sentenced to 3 1/3 years and he has been designated for Big Sandy.Now I am finding this stuff out it scares me,he is a big time hot head.I am worried he will get more time.And It's going to be hard ofr me to plan to see him with these damn lock downs,because living in Louisiana,I would be making a loong trip and if they get put on lock down while I am on my way there then the money and all will be wasted.This totally sucks. do they have the email system yet??
Old 11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
<3 Sammy's Girl 4 Life <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby72 View Post
I hope my brother thinks when he gets there,to start emails,I told him to.I pray he emails me regularly.He is going to big sandy and my fahter is going to butner.I miss them so much,I cry about this everyday.My father was given 2 years and my brother three and a quarter.I wonder how I am going to get through this time.
Hello Angelbaby72,
I do hope that you keep your spirits up throughout this time. We are all on the same boat and need to give each other strength to get through these difficult times. Just look at it as every passing day is a day closer to their exit from those walls and home to you and your family, regardless of how much time they both have left.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM

yes...they do have email available t them...and yes it is a very tough prison...because it is max. security and it gets frustrating but time will pass...it always does. its no place to act like a big shot tho so tell ur loved one to mind his own and he should do fine...atleast thats what the ones who wanna stay outta trouble do. best of luck to u and ur family
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM

This place seems to suck royally.I called bop this morning compalining about them designating my brother for there,especially since the judge granted our request to have him placed in the south,near my mother and me,his only blood immediate family,besides our father who is incarcarated at Butner low.They told me to mail a request to them in texas and they could redesignate him,especially since I informed them he is bipolar with a multiple personalit disorder and was asked to leave nothwood health system.They told me if they have it by monday they will hold him where he is now,in oklahoma city oklahoma,until they redesignate him.Hopefully they will actually do this,because he will not fare well there.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Has anyone heard if Big Sandy is on lockdown? If the prison is on lockdown is the satellite camp also on lockdown?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I am assuming that they are, because I have not heard from my husband. He usually calls throughout the day and to say good night. I think the last call I received was yesterday early afternoon. There isn't anything on the internet yet though.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Default wanting to go visit?

my husand just got to big sandy 2 weeks ago. he got a 20 year sentance. i live in texas and wanted to go visit him in february but i hear they are always on lockdown. im scared to take off up there for a 23 hour drive and then get there just to find out that i cant see him because they happen to be on lockdown. is if worth planning a trip? if i plan to leave on a thursday and i call and everything is okay for me to go and then i happen to get up there on saturday and they are on lockdown for one reason or another will they really have no consideration to let me see him considering i just drove cross county to see him???? can anyone help me out??