Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Visits to Big Sandy USP or the camp:

Hey missinghim..Yes there is a prison ministry about 1/2 mile up the mountain from the prison that is clean, warm, welcomming and the best place to stay. You will be with families that are going thru the exact same thing you are. It's $25.00 for the week-end. The kitchen is open to fix & cook whatever you want and you are welcome to the food they have stocked thier that I think the churchs in the area donate. They are not allowed to prepare it for you. Something about the type of license they have. Ceral, soup, tea, coffee,etc is there. They just opened a large building on site about a year ago and each room is decorated so cute and each room gets your own private bath. Call and talk to the owner Eileen Mullens at (606)298-7547 or (606)298-0520 to make a reservation. You will mail a money order the day you reserv. and they keep that as a donation. Good luck and I have paid to stay at Super 8, which was nice, but Haven of Rest is so much better.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Default USP Big Sandy - Lockdown 7/10

I just got a call from a CO, that the prison went on lockdown and there will be no visiting this week-end.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
CHINA BABY (10-02-2009), dizsqueen (07-10-2009)
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM

USP- BIG SANDY- JULY 9, 2009

At 6:55pm, Control announced Staff needs assistance on C-3 Block, 6 inmates were assaulting 1 inmate with Homemade weapons (Shanks). The assaulted was taken to a Trama Hospital with no Staff injuries to report. U.S.P. Big Sandy is locked Down.

http://www.cpl33.info/id29.html

Last edited by tolong; 07-10-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Default Big Sandy off lockdown 7/14

Hi Ladies,

I just spoke to my husband. He said they have started to let people off lockdown. He said they are doing it by levels, not letting the entire prison off lockdown at the same time yet. He said either everyone will be completely off lockdown after 4:00, or they might wait until tomorrow to let everyone out tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missinghim97 For This Useful Post:
tolong (07-14-2009), Zelda50 (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM

Hey missinghim...I got my call about the same time as you. Now we've burned up 3 calls in 1 day hmmm! Wonder if my BF is in the same unit as your husband? Anyway..he's leaving this week and finally getting closer to home. It's been a long time and I am so ready to be able to visit more. I haven't seen him since thanksgiving, so instead of 9-11 hrs away he will be 2-3. Thanks for letting me share my exitement.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM

We used 4! My daugther and him had a lot to catch up on I am so happy for you. He has been far for almost 4 years, so its been super hard, especially for our daugther. So I know what you have been going through. My husband will probably be far until he goes to a halfway house. Does your bf have a long time to go still? Him being so close will make it so much easier. If only we could get more minutes!! Hopefully e-mail will be available soon. Its always nice to hear when good things happen. We have to take what we can get!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Thank you missinghim. Yup, they should be getting email soon..actually I thought they would have had it by now. My BF's been in BOP for 3 1/2 yrs and has a little over 1 1/2 left. With him closer to home and now being able to visit more it should fly by. I also thought when the 2nd chance act passed I was hoping he'd get the 1 yr in a HWH, but that doesn't seem to be working out like I'd hoped. I keep saying..just 1 more cold winter Babe!! I only went to BS 3 times and he's been there for 2 yrs. It is a really long ride from maryland and all the lockdowns, I was always afraid I'd drive all the way there for nothing.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi ladies,

I am planning on a trip to Big Sandy. I was wondering if there were any cards or board games available? Also, since it will be hot, are shorts/capris allowed? What about open toed sandals? Any info about visiting would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,377 Times in 4,637 Posts

On the transfer issue - you never know what's going to happen. My guy finally got transferred from the 1st place he was - 1,000 miles from home - after requesting to transfer to our home state. They transferred him all right - farther away!! So he had to serve 18 months there and then they finally transferred him close to home. The transfer to request, if he's 19 months from release is a "Nearer Release Transfer." That means he's requesting to be transferred nearer to where he's going to live after his release. Z.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks Zelda..Trying to get a straight answer from his case manager was very frustrating. His security level had dropped and he was forced to transfer. The 1 & only question was, "did you put it in as a closer to home or security level drop"?? He asked and then I called to ask and nobody could get a direct answer. Anyway, he transfered out thursday, is in Atlanta on his way to Petersburg, 2-3 hrs away from home. So, yes she did put in for "closer to home". Just a heads up...when your men are transfering for 2 reasons, case management is told to choose the reason for the transfer. Make sure they put it in as a #313-closer to home.

Missinghim..no kaki colored clothes. I wore capri's or jeans and yes I wore a 2 in heeled sandle. They have games there and a childrens room with a TV. When you register there's a machine that you buy a card and put money on it for the vending machines. Don't wear an underwire bra..you'll set the metal detectors off and usually they make those woman wait to get called back..I think it just pisses them off. They usually call 6-9 people back at a time..so I usually pulled over at the gate at about 7:30 and waited till 8:00 and drove back. I think the code for the gate is 0000. The CO's are very nice there, but getting in usually takes at least an hour or more.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Hi Tolong, thanks for the info. I have a few more questions.How much money can you bring in for the vending machines? Also, my husband asked that I wear a summer dress. I am assuming that it o.k as long as it is not short and tight, is that correct? Is the visiting room usually crowded? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited to see him I want to make sure I have all the info I need. On a side note, how are things going with your man being so close to you?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Donation Award 

No sleeveless clothing.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

and be careful with the sandals you choose to wear. I wore a flat sandal that had straps on it and they turned me away at the door because "those aren't sandals, those are flipflops"!!!! Needless to say, I was PI$$ED!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 AM

Aww..he wants his lady in a summer dress..to cute. I am so happy for you both..it's like a first date. Yup, like Z said make sure your covered up appropriately. You could also keep extra stuff in your truck in case something doesn't pass. It is ALL up to the CO working the desk. You can bring your purse in the lobby with you and make sure you have a quarter for the locker. I usually put $10.00-$20.00 on the card. It will stay on the card and can be used later. The soda's are maybe $1.00 for 16 oz platic bottle. Candy and snakes maybe $1.50. Pizza and sandwiches about $2.00-$3.00. The only thing you'll carry back to visiting is the card (like a credit card). Make sure you know his inmate number cause you'll need that when you sign the book. The CO's don't like to look it up and sometimes they won't. Park in the spots marked inmate visiting and of coarse it's the furthest parking from the door. Also, they lockdown and no visits if there's fog. I only got to visit 3 times in the 2 yrs he was there and the only time it was pretty crowded was Thanksgiving week-end. Are you staying at Haven of Rest?
I highly recommend it!! No, my BF is still in Atlanta so his transfer is about 1/2 over. I miss the phone calls big time. There locked down in Atlanta, so he can only call Tues and Fri when I'm not at work at 10:00 am. Then of coarse when he gets to Petersburg I'll have to wait till I'm approved. I can't wait to visit..haven't seem him since Nov 08..8 months. When are you going????

Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Donation Award 

I just read that things were jumpin' off at Big Sandy last night - they're not locked down but call before you travel to visit this weekend. One inmate was taken to the outside hospital and several were taken to the SHU for fighting.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Zelda, have you heard anything else about the incident that happened?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizsqueen View Post
Zelda, have you heard anything else about the incident that happened?
Not about that incident but apparently there was another one yesterday afternoon - inmate was stabbed and taken to an outside hospital with a collapsed lung. It doesn't list the place as being locked down still - but call before visiting.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Zelda, thank you. I don't know how you do it, but you are the best! Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to dizsqueen For This Useful Post:
Zelda50 (07-31-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Donation Award 

On August 5th, another inmate taken to the outside hospital with injuries and then transferred to the "trauma hospital" - information is that he was assaulted by 4 inmates "with weapons" in the recreation cage in the SHU!!!

Geez - who's guarding the segregation unit?????
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Word is the guards want Big Sandy to be a permanant lockdown facility. I wonder if they're instigating theese incidents to better prove thier case????

The Following User Says Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
Zelda50 (08-06-2009)
Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Thats crazy if they try and make it a permanent lockdown facility. And what's even crazier is the fact that they never went on lockdown after these last few incidents! And I'm starting to get mad cuz I keep calling up there to find out whats going on and no one is answering the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM

queen..I'm so sorry...it's been really bad there the last couple weeks it seems. That's unusual that nobody's answering the phone. I always got thru when I called even though it wasn't that often! I will keep you and diz in my prayers..hang in there!

The Following User Says Thank You to tolong For This Useful Post:
dizsqueen (08-06-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Really??? Uggghhhhhh

Default Lockdown Again

D called me earlier this afternoon and said that something crazy happened in the yard and they were about to be on lockdown.
The Following User Says Thank You to dizsqueen For This Useful Post:
justsomeonesmom (08-10-2009)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldheartedbitc View Post
My husband is on his way there to stay. Does anyone has a loved one there or has been there recently?
My husband is there. We were there this past weekend. Its on top of a mountain and a pain in the ass to get to, but worth it if you love him. I recommend staying at the "Haven of Rest" which is like 2 mins up the mountain.

The facility sucks though. They are always on lock down! As a matter of fact they are locked down now! It is the most violent prison in the whole fbop. Not trying to scare you, just giving you the real.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolong View Post
Word is the guards want Big Sandy to be a permanant lockdown facility. I wonder if they're instigating theese incidents to better prove thier case????

It wouldn't surprise me if they were!