Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Hello

How was your first Big Sandy visit? I live in GA too. Please share some Big Sandy stories.

"...for this too shall pass..."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Brother went thru there

I am writing on my brothers name, he went thru Big Sandy on a transfer, and coming from Atlanta, he said Sandy was the absolute worst, its on big SHU Unit, he said there is stains of blood on the walls that wouldnt come clean, its a nasty place and he is now at FCI RayBrook and cruising thru the rest of sentence.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Riding This Bid Together
Donation Award 

Thumbs down 2 1/2 years there

My almostson is there and I have gone to visit from home (13 1/2 hour drive) and twice got almost there just to be called from the chapliain that they are in lockdown. I am lucky that he has pull and can have someone call me. One of those times I called myself and was told I can go visit. Was called 2 hours before leaving by the chaplain that his block was on lockdown. I would have driven all the way there just to have to turn around and come back. I have visited two four times, second time could not get in because I took my Sudafed before and handled it with my fingers nad it showed up as methamphetamine (Sudafed is the active incredient in Meth) and could not get in. Now I do not even take it with me when I go just to be sure I get in. The guards (one in particular) will let some inmates have a long kiss with their spouses and others he will get on their case if they have one just as long with theirs. It is very very unfair during visits. One thing I hatte is that the food is not for microwave in the machines but they have a microwave there to heat it. We are there 7 hours so why do they not get microwaveable food for the visit hall? It is the 21st century where we can get almost everything microwaveable. Anyway, I was told Big Sandy is the worst, it is a Level 6. But my husband is at a level 7 USP in West Virginia and it has no programs and nothing for them to do there. At least Big Sandy has a good law library and many programs. Bad thing is that they have to go to bed at 9 pm or rather it is lights out at 9 pm. My inmate had a stroke and I was never called and he is not monitored like he should be. He had to pay to go to sick call regardless of his history. At leaast out here all people have medicaid and in prison they have not even that.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Folks!
My husband was transferred to Big Sandy in the new year and already he has been having problems and has been in SHU...Very tense and volatile atmosphere from what he say's..So good to hear about the law library though-that could come in useful too!..Oh yeah! He said that sometimes if the co's feel like it,they'll lock them down as early as 8.00pm...Ooo..And am I the only one who has alot of interference on their phone line?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 AM

my dad is there and the phone quality is the worse, I can hear other people talking.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Ashley

Does anyone know how the phone systems work in Big Sandy?Who pays for the calls and how much?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Donation Award 

They get 300 minutes a month call time(400 in nov and dec).The standard thing is for the inmate to transfer funds from his commissary account to his phone account so that, he can then call family and friends that are on his approved phone list.I send money via Western Union and he gets the funds within a couple of hours-sometimes within minutes.But you can also send via JPay,and money orders can be sent to an address in Des Moines..You can find this info on the FBOP website...Collect calls are very expensive,so please do not try that if at all possible..Think about setting up a call plan such as Vonage etc..Even more savings after the small initial outlay.

Last edited by Eia; 04-20-2008 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWifey View Post
My almostson is there and I have gone to visit from home (13 1/2 hour drive) and twice got almost there just to be called from the chapliain that they are in lockdown. I am lucky that he has pull and can have someone call me. One of those times I called myself and was told I can go visit. Was called 2 hours before leaving by the chaplain that his block was on lockdown. I would have driven all the way there just to have to turn around and come back. I have visited two four times, second time could not get in because I took my Sudafed before and handled it with my fingers nad it showed up as methamphetamine (Sudafed is the active incredient in Meth) and could not get in. Now I do not even take it with me when I go just to be sure I get in. The guards (one in particular) will let some inmates have a long kiss with their spouses and others he will get on their case if they have one just as long with theirs. It is very very unfair during visits. One thing I hatte is that the food is not for microwave in the machines but they have a microwave there to heat it. We are there 7 hours so why do they not get microwaveable food for the visit hall? It is the 21st century where we can get almost everything microwaveable. Anyway, I was told Big Sandy is the worst, it is a Level 6. But my husband is at a level 7 USP in West Virginia and it has no programs and nothing for them to do there. At least Big Sandy has a good law library and many programs. Bad thing is that they have to go to bed at 9 pm or rather it is lights out at 9 pm. My inmate had a stroke and I was never called and he is not monitored like he should be. He had to pay to go to sick call regardless of his history. At leaast out here all people have medicaid and in prison they have not even that.

My brother is here and this prison is NOTORIOUS for that LOCKDOWN CRAP. I also have a drive 12.5 hours its ridiculous. they have no regards for families that have a long haul and with gas prices man!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM

we are also from philly and my son was sent there he says don't even try to visit
after 18 months he can put in for a transfer hopefully to caanan in pa but his codefendants are in many of the closer to home places . wish him luck he's got a long long time if it's up to the feds i have faith in thier appeal
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM

My husband was at USP Big Sandy for about 18 months, until he was transferred out last week......thank God! The entire time he was there it seemed like they were on and off lockdown. This made visiting extremely hard. On one occassion I traveled the 9 hours to visit only to find out that they had cancelled the visits that weekend. Plus on top of that, everytime they went on lockdown I just prayed that my husband wasn't caught up in the middle of the controversy. I am very thankful that he was able to transfer out to a FCI.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM

Default big sandy

is there somewhere you can call to see if they are on lock down?
we r also from the philly area and my son is at big sandy . ihear he haS TO BE THERE 18 months before in can request a transfer to some where closer . he has a long sentence so if anyone has any infro please share it
THANKS
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM

I do not know about that prison but when my honey was at englewood I would just call the main switchboard to get info. It would be better though if you knew the name of his counselor. They tend to be more helpful.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Big Sandy is on lockdown due to an inmate fight. One inmate was stabbed and sent to an outside hospital. That was October 5th and they're still locked down. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. You can still write to him. Zelda
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM

I got a call last night and this morning from my BF at Big Sandy USP. If all goes well today he's suppose to call again tonight...you never know.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 AM

My BF is at Big S and there is a # u can call 2 c if they r on LD but no use cause it just rings, it sucks cause they have very frequent LD's, and I live 4.5 hrs away so u never know. i don't have the # on hand but u can go on the bop site, look up big sandy and there should be a # u can call. hope this helps u out.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 AM

Exclamation Big Sandy always on lockdown?

My future husband is at Big Sandy and it is awful. I know he can handle his own, but u never know what can happen. I worry about him every minute of the day. Anyone out there have a loved one at Big Sandy?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM

my BF's been there for over a year. He's OK but fed prisons all around are getting bad. He's in the challenge program so his unit is safer than some of the other ones. I pray he stays safe everyday. If you go to visit, stay at Haven of Rest! It's the greatest.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I love him with my all!!!

Thanked 2,053 Times in 945 Posts

my baby was at USP BIG SANDY but thank goodness he is leaving thier he said he hated that place with a passion all the fighting and stuff going on....He is heading out to california..like that is good for me being in sc..hahah but big sandy i have never been and kinda glad i didnt he said it was awful place
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Closed

USP Big Sandy is close to HELL. Between the five minute lifts from LD, the gangs (becoming a HUGE problem in all the Hi security USP's if you ask me), and the every day BOP BS.....it's a Blessing the man hasn't lost control of himself.

I know prisons dont usually get talked about in a positive light.....but some places are better than others. I have NEVER ONCE heard anything good or positive about Big Sandy
Old 10-17-2008, 07:37 PM

Hi there,
does anyone have directions on how to get to USP Big Sandy? I cannot find a map or directions ANYWHERE!! I know it is supposed to be at 1197 Airport Rd, but it doesn't show up on any mapping program. Thanks for any info. :-)
Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Closed

I will send you a msg,

But for anyone with that question...

Get the directions to any of the hotels around the area....and ask the ppl. They will kow what you want before you ask, lol
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 AM

The directions are Rte 40 to Rte 645 to Rte 3, and there's a sign on the highway to turn off of rte 3. You won't find airport road on any of the maps. Haven of Rest is where I stayed last time..it's $25.00 for the week-end and they have tons of food your welcome to prepare and eat. Did I mention that it's clean and the support of the other woman there is great. It's about 1/2 mile past the prison and is much closer than the hotels. They were in the process of opening a new building in Sept.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Does anyone know who the new warden is going to be at USP Big Sandy? Why they're getting a new one and when it's going to happen? I heard this month. Thanks

Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Closed

I dont know yet, but I haven't asked who the new warden is/will be. I can't remember exactly now, but I think Hector Rios is txr to Atwater
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

USP Big Sandy went on lockdown 10/21/08.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
tolong (10-22-2008)