Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 PM

Default What is a typical day in a Canadian prison like

For those who spent time in a Canadian prison, can you share what a typical day in prison is like? When are you locked up? For how long? When are you released for the day? Is everyone released at the same time? Can you visit another inmates cell? Do you have to work or go to school or a program? What kind of food do they serve? Do inmates interact with each other? Do they know each others crimes? Any advice? Sorry, a friend of mine will be going to prison and I'm so nervous for him. I was just curious and thought it would be informative if you guys shared what a typical day is....and at what institution and security level.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
OnparoleinTO

Hi again. This depends a lot on what security level you're in, and partly on which particular institution. In max and some mediums prisoners are locked up most of each day - typically released for meals and a little time in the evening, though there can also be release for those who have jobs, medical appointments, or for things like recreation. In Minimum there are no 'cells' so you're hardly locked up at all - just overnight. In general in jails you are discouraged from being in another person's space unless invited, and sometimes rule prohibit this as well. You can get in trouble even for looking into others' cells without permission/invitation.

Food also varies a lot. In most jails food is prepared in a central kitchen, which may not even be in that prison, and can be pretty terrible. In minimum mostly (not all of them) you get and cook your own food - vastly better.

In most jails (almost) everyone is expected to 'work', but many jobs are a joke. If you haven't finished high school you are required to go to school at least half days. Some prisoners are required to take a program but many aren't/don't.

Telling crimes is a mixed things. In theory it's 'do your own time' and mind your own business but in can vary a lot. In some places there can be a lot of pressure to disclose, and lots of trouble if you're in for something 'bad' - particularly sex crimes. Some prisoners take steps to make up a story about why they are there and use that.

Depending on security level and where you are prison can range from pretty awful to not that bad. But a lot is what you make it. I would be telling him to a) mind his own business; b) don't tell people too much and don't ask them much at all; they will tell you things if they want to; c) don't get too friendly with anyone but don't be a jerk/bully to anyone either; d) don't gamble or incur debts; e) don't tell the guard anything. But those are only general guidelines, as circumstances and people vary.

There are also things he can do to prepare. I learned yoga - very useful in a small space and good for you physically and mentally. I read a lot and wrote a lot - but not everyone likes to do that. So it also depends on what he likes to do and what kind of person he is.

If you want to PM me we can discuss further; I could tell you more if I knew more about your friend's situation but also appreciate that you may not want to disclose that. Or post more questions here if you prefer that.
The Following User Says Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM

What do you mean by expected to work? Are they given jobs? When I went to a jail I saw some younger men cleaning. Do they choose jobs? Do you know anything about Collins Bay medium?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:19 PM
OnparoleinTO

I was not at Collins bay. Dablo escobud on this site was there recently so could be a good contact for you. Where I was every prisoner had to have an assigned job. Yes many do cleaning because that is one of the main things available. You may have some choice depending I n your situation and the jail.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxt View Post
For those who spent time in a Canadian prison, can you share what a typical day in prison is like? When are you locked up? For how long? When are you released for the day? Is everyone released at the same time? Can you visit another inmates cell? Do you have to work or go to school or a program? What kind of food do they serve? Do inmates interact with each other? Do they know each others crimes? Any advice? Sorry, a friend of mine will be going to prison and I'm so nervous for him. I was just curious and thought it would be informative if you guys shared what a typical day is....and at what institution and security level.
Thanks!!
Hi i am currently serving weekends.
630 a.m. served breakfast
1130 a.m. served lunch
430 p.m. served dinner
We only get 2 bags of drinks at breakfast so try to save one bag thriughout the whole day... unless you like tap water and till you can get canteen.
After each meal we get sent to our rooms for an hour or two ..bed time is 9 p.m. till breakfast
On the wing I am in we have flexibility to leaving our cells when the washroom is needed and when its free time otherwise we must stay in our rooms. Depending on your friends charge he fould possibly be in the cell 23 hours and i wouldnt know about that...
No you are nit allowed in anyones cell.
Yes there are programs available. School. Laundry duty. Cart runners giving out the trays for meals to inmates. Chores.. sweeping washing the floors garbage changing clean the toliets clean the washrooms etc.
The food is disgusting. They offer 2 pieces of whole wheat bread with each meal.. and every meal is different everydsy but then repeated every week. I suggest eating the bread potatoes snacks fruit and vegetables they offer. The meat is questionable looking
Where I am yes inmates interact with eschother everyday... you can share your crime if you like.. mostwill ask What did you do? I find that if you lie and your story doesn't sound rightt they mught takeyou as a liar and untrustworthy
Last thing you want to do is snitch on anyone. Or talk smack and get into fights.
Have witnessed fights already and they werent pretty
Tell your friend to keep to himself. Dont share or make promises. Can just be respectful.
Hope this helps
Also at my place saturday we have a movie day and finish it on sunday. Sunday theres church and yard day. Outside theres a track field volleyball net work out station. Also theres AAmeetings and addiction abuse for people to attend.
Anymore questions pm me...
Good luck to your friend