Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Default He Wants a Walker

Hubby is at FCI Forrest City Low. In 2002 he had a diving accident and damaged his spinal cord. He was diagnosed as an "incomplete quad" meaning he lost "significant" strength in all four limbs. He was never supposed to walk but he does, although it's not pretty. He is a fall risk obviously. On top of this his blood pressure tends to bottom out making him light headed. He often has to stop and just sit down. In fact, at sentencing he was unable to stay standing straight up and the judge allowed him to sit.

I told him several times before going in I feared he would fall "one too many times" and the BOP would decide he was a liability and put him in a chair. He has made a friend inside that they call "Wheels" because he's in a wheelchair. I was asking today about him and hubby said that he is in the chair because he fell in the shower, broke his back in two places and he didn't receive proper, or fast medical care. Hubby pushes "Wheels" around to chow... commissary... etc and it helps hubby keep his balance too. But of course they aren't together anymore. He said there are others there with walkers that have the seat and that he has been thinking about trying to get one. Of course it would really help him.

I encouraged him to do a sick call and see what he can find out. Does anyone know if he is able to get one if he would have to pay for it (want to save if I do) and if he'll have to wait for the actual doctor for it? He did a sick call a few weeks ago for an issue with his back (his skin was breaking down) and also pointed out his feet. Before all of this he had to go to a podiatrist to have corns that develop on his feet cut off and they have caused issues lately. Whoever he saw said that he would have to see another doctor for that but he hasn't had a call out for that so I'm wondering how long this would take for him to even discuss and get.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,959 Posts

IF he is granted a walker, no he won’t have to pay for it.

I think it’s a safe bet that it will take weeks, if not months, of asking before he gets one.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,679 Times in 13,054 Posts

I was issued a walker at FMC Butner and it returned to FCI Petersburg with me. Canes, walkers, wheel chairs and crutches are issued by the medical department at each federal prison. He should start by going on sick call and making a formal request for a walker. The issue will be convincing the medical staff that he needs one, but it shouldn't be a big deal, especially since other inmates already have them.