Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Cool Emerging as a Career Professional

Recognizing the overall impact to professional/technical skills that are no longer current. Have dual masters (mechanical engineering and business forensic finance). Dealing with lack of confidence associated with that can also be quite daunting. No refresher courses to fill the gaps and bluffing will only get so far. Guess I'll have to be a Wal-Mart greeter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piedpiper For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-12-2019), Firebrand (09-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post
Recognizing the overall impact to professional/technical skills that are no longer current. Have dual masters (mechanical engineering and business forensic finance). Dealing with lack of confidence associated with that can also be quite daunting. No refresher courses to fill the gaps and bluffing will only get so far. Guess I'll have to be a Wal-Mart greeter.

It can be a hard thing to do when you are a professional & trying to reclaim your life. Are there any online classes or certification refreshers that you can take to bring you up to speed?

I'm not sure where you're located or how long it's been since you worked but my son was also a degreed professional when he was incarcerated. He was lucky that his church sponsored a group called C3G.https://northpoint.org/c3g
It's for all people trying to get career help. They are supportive & have groups of people in all areas of employment. They network & have employers come in to talk as well. You might check to see if there's anything in your area. Also the Goodwill Industries has career centers in many cities. They assist in getting you job ready. I know you are more educated & specialized than most of their clients but getting confidence applies to everyone.
Nothing wrong with Walmart greeters but try looking on Craigslist for jobs & gigs. Also, if it's been over 7 years since your conviction, run a background check on yourself & see what comes up. With Ban the Box, many companies only care about the last 7 years that show up. Try checking into temp agencies too. They may be able to get you something until you find better. My son has had recruiters reach out through LinkedIn too.
Don't give up. It will work if you believe in yourself. Hang in there & reach out to local reentry groups in your area. They have leads & ideas too.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedpiper View Post

Hey, fellow ME here! I got out a couple years ago and have managed to get some CAD & design work through old contacts. Not much, but enough to get my brain back in gear and working towards the future. Have also been adding new non-engineering skills in the form of outdoor concrete work. All this in my 50s!

Drop me a line if it interests you.