Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,813 Times in 8,076 Posts
Default Board of Parole Support Letters, how do I address my disability?

I know there are multiple threads discussing what parole board wants to see in a support letter. I have a very specific question. I'm sitting down to write mine for my husband and to be honest, I've been putting it off because of one factor. Maybe you guys can help me with this.

California (probably most places) want to know that they have a tightly woven web of support for release. They prefer their parolees go to transitional housing first. We're doing that. He plans to spend 6 months in transitional housing and then our options are a few because I live out of state. We're not there yet, though. So immediate plan is halfway house. That said, every support letter example I've read focuses on the financial stability of the person they are releasing to. I have financial stability but not through employment. I am disabled. I'm not super worried about addressing the financial aspect but rather how to address my disability without them viewing it as a liability.

Typical letter example:
Dear Commissioner:

I am Mary Broodly, a 54-year-old woman who is a cook at the Little City Hotel in Pasadena for last 25 years.
I am a friend of Mark Inmate for the last twenty years and have been in contact through letters and occasional visits with him throughout his time in prison.

I don't want to say:
Dear Commissioner:

I am Mia Mac, a 41-year-old woman who has depended on Social Security Disability for the last 22 years.

It's also leaving out a big chunk of what I do with my time which is care for my father. But isn't that also a stressor? Holy crap, guys. This whole bit makes me anxious. It wouldn't seem like this should be a factor if he's going to transitional housing, but eventually it will be a PO issue. Hubs doesn't get the stigma so he's been reassuring but not so helpful.

Help me with the good words!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,859 Times in 16,516 Posts

mia, Breathe!! Either hand-write the letter or print out a copy so you can edit by hand - writing in margins, crossing out this or that. My drafts always had a lot of thoughts in the margins, crossing out, circling and arrows.

Now, about your disability, if that's the route you want to go....Introduce the Board to the proper medical diagnosis & terms. Rather than look at what you can't do, focus on what you can do, things you have accomplished. Anything you write, make sure it is correlated to the support he'll need & his successful completion of parole.

Personally, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to explain your income (disability). Be careful of providing TMI. You're in a position to help him financially, so there ya go IMHO, other than the financial aspect, focus on the things you can help him achieve. Can you help him get to appointments? Can any other friends or family help with transportation? Employment. He'll need help with online applications, getting to interviews, and with encouragement / moral support. Will he need a hand getting his SS card? Food stamps? Dr. Lic? He may have to take the written test for a driver's permit initially. Can you help him study? Is he interested in going back to school? Filing out the FAFSA can be a b*tch for any one of us, he'll need help with that.

Welp, now that I've totally screwed up your train of thought...... all that stuff above is simply my opinion and therefore holds no water. But I hope some part of it is useful

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2019), LifeTraveler (08-26-2019), miamac (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
mia, Breathe!! Either hand-write the letter or print out a copy so you can edit by hand - writing in margins, crossing out this or that. My drafts always had a lot of thoughts in the margins, crossing out, circling and arrows.
Jeez, Patch, you'd think that you knew me or somethin'. HA! Yes, this is really stressing me out. I've now waited so long (and have an abundance of excuses) that the clock is about to strike 12. He's been great, but pretty soon he's going to have to push me and neither of want that.

So I'm not concerned about proving that I can offer financial support because of his plan to HH it, but it seems like they really hone in on any little thing that might be a stumbling block for him. I have no employment history (that matters) so can't prove stability.

Ok-- you know what. Forget it. I'm stable. I've lived in the same house for four years, it's owned, I have a car. I can help him.

OMG!!! I didn't think this would be me, you guys. But I am sweating bullets.

*slinks away and gets our her teacherly red pen*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2019), patchouli (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,716 Posts

I wish I knew what to say, but you got this. From your letter, they will knownhownhighly educated you are and how much support you can provide.

You are stable mama. Emotionally and financially

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2019), miamac (08-25-2019), patchouli (08-26-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I wish I knew what to say, but you got this. From your letter, they will knownhownhighly educated you are and how much support you can provide.

You are stable mama. Emotionally and financially
Hopefully they don't read this thread.
I finished the letter and I'll re-read it tomorrow. I think I got it all in without putting too much weight on how I get by. Opted to skip the disability statement as he called while I was writing and said it was already mentioned in his Franklin Hearing (sort of a social evaluation). That relieved some pressure. I highlighted my education, my role as caregiver and my ability to teach part-time (didn't say when) in one sentence. I think it will be enough.

Phew. I will be glad when this bit is over. But on the chance he's denied, I'm saving this document so I can just update it as needed. I won't survive a burn and rewrite! Thank you for your support, hun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Amy_au (08-26-2019), fbopnomore (08-26-2019), onedayatatime13 (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,859 Times in 16,516 Posts

I'm sure your letter is just fine They'll know that you're stable, family oriented, caring and will be a very supportive / important part of his life.

Funny story (well, only here where others really understand ): My Mr has seen the Board 4 times, I wrote a support letter all 4 times, he made parole all 4 times (don't ask)....this last time, he said that they actually had a discussion about me. I feel as if I should be on first names with those folks. LOL

FYI: He did not get parole because of any letter I wrote. Though I like to think it helped. He made parole because he keeps a low profile, takes as many classes as he can, attends AA, stays write-up free and works.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-27-2019), miamac (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Site Moderator

Letter is done, in a sealed envelope and ready to go. No turning back now!
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-28-2019)