Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

View Poll Results: What type of education do you have?
Male- Didnt graduate from High School 5 0.33%
Male- Graduated from High School 9 0.60%
Male- Graduated with Associates Degree 18 1.20%
Male- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 55 3.65%
Male- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 17 1.13%
Female- Didnt graduate from High School 25 1.66%
Female- Graduated from High School 172 11.42%
Female- Graduated with Associates Degree 377 25.03%
Female- Graduated with Bachelors Degree 524 34.79%
Female- Graduated with Post Graduate Degree 304 20.19%
Voters: 1506. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Closed

That's right!! You go gurl! Bio chem?? WWHOOOOOOOAAAA!!! but yeah! the book smarts ain't nothing. Common Sense is key. But you know what! Common sense isn't so common for everybody!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2006, 06:27 PM

[quote=mel2020] sammi! That's what I was going to say. Take any one of the PhD's with whom I work out to a bar (or any other social setting) and they'd congregate together and talk about abstract things. No social skills at all. No people skills. They'd rather spend 12-14 hours at work, than going home to be with their families. Not how I want my life to be.

Amen, Mel! To some people, the intricate schematics and detailed formulations involved in the process of splitting an atom could be considered foreplay, but there comes a time when you have to separate business from the real world, throw caution to the wind, and take a wild guess at who will be the next American Idol. You know....the real important issues of our country Now THERE'S something you'll never hear about in a lecture hall. Or maybe you would? Hmmm....scary thought, isn't it?!?!?!
The Following User Says Thank You to sammi528 For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919
I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

VERY WELL SAID, Babygurl919. And I totally agree. I am just credits away from my Associates Degree in Business. I love school...I love challenging my mind. But my heart? It belongs to my husband - absolutely - no challenge there. :love: Its his and no one else's - and I do NOT need a degree to understand that!!
OH HELL YEAH!!

The Following User Says Thank You to NJNancymae For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabean
I have a BA in Radio and TV. I work in the television industry and he is very proud of what i do. A few people where i work know where he is at and are really supportive. It is what it is.

HEY Lala...I just noticed you were recently married. Congratulations to you and your man. I am a newlywed as well. As of Feb 1 of this year. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Again, Congratulations and Best Wishes!

And.....OH HELL YEAH!!

The Following User Says Thank You to NJNancymae For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:39 PM
getting close!

Dayum skippy! I love my science. Don't get me wrong. I'm a nerd...but only at work. In MY time, I'm a metal listenin, Harley lovin, fun-lovin, coolest mom ever! (no offense to other mommy's out there ) Its a happy medium. Work at work, play at home. That's where our common ground lies, anyway. My man's educational experiences, or lack thereof, has no bearing on that.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl919
I have a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes when people find out that my husband is in prison, they give me the "what are you thinking?" or "you can do better" look. They don't even ask me if I'm happy, they just assume that he must be a bad person and treat me like crap because he's in prison. But then again, to most people I know, being treated good by your man is defined as him buying you expensive things and taking you out to dinner and things like that. Personally, I can do without all that and he treats me just fine by being the sweet, loving, appreciative, respectful, romantic man that he is. Educated or not, he is who he is, and I love him for that.

That was beautifully said, as always, Jess. I couldn't add anything else to it if I tried.

Lisa
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanked 1,145 Times in 679 Posts

I have a Bachelor of Fine Art. I work in a warehouse, so even my job does not reflect my education.
The Following User Says Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:
Careers4Us (07-22-2015)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:18 PM

High school, a few college coarses, a lot of business classes and seminars but doesn't make me anything

Life's experiences, if you learn to use them are so much more productive
Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 AM

I have a B.S. degree in Business Management with a concentration in Accounting. I also believe that education has nothing to do with the love we share. We come from two different worlds and in return we both share our worlds with one another. Even though he is in prison, even though he does not have a college degree, he is very intellectual.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 AM

I haven't graduated yet but I am currently working on my BS in Human Services and BS Sociology. I want to go on and hopefully get a Masters in some form of sociology. My husband was working on his BS in English and BS in History.

First Timers Club #77
Faithfully Waiting Club #152
2007 Club #103
Old 05-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Trying to stay sane...

I'm in college now, so I don't have a degree yet. I want to be a lawyer though, so I plan on going to law school after getting my bachelors.
Faithfully Waiting Club Member #117
Loving My Inmate Club Member #133

Old 05-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Closed

I have a BA in Journalism and Im currently pursuing my Masters. My fiance has a high school education, but hopes to get out and return to school
Old 05-27-2006, 06:53 PM

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and minored in Computer Information Systems. My Max got his GED then got an associates degree in Electrical Engineering. But...so what, he still got caught up. All I know at this moment is, whatever his formal education, he learned how to treat women along the way and he taught me how it feels to be loved and adored. Now, no matter what happens between us, I can go forward having learned that from him. Because I know what love feels like now, I won't settle for anything less. But what am I saying, this is home (Max is home for me!!!).

I have critics, one co-worker in particular just told me the other day, she would keep my phone number just in case I don't work there anymore just so she can tell me "I told you so" when it doesn't work out!!! Ouch.

I love him and he loves me, it's the only thing that really matters here. It also matters that he takes this opportunity to turn his life around and not get caught up.

Those are my thoughts. This was a good question/Poll!!!
Emerg. Issues #4
Hoping 4 Parole #1
Loving my inmate #112
Loving my knucklehead #14
Keeping Me 1st #1

Last edited by Wtg2SmileAgain; 05-27-2006 at 06:54 PM..
Old 05-27-2006, 10:50 PM

okay so many things to say here

first education has nothing to do with love... geed what is wrong with people and this world.. i have friends who have a man who is free and they dont get half the attention i get from my DADDY and hes locked up.... LOL

and secondly there are not only wives and GF here on PTO there are mothers and grandmas with degreess what does that have to do with loving somone who is an inmate , especiallu someone they love .. their son, grnadon , grandaughter etc...

for the record i have a AA in Early Childhood Education And a BA in Vocational education and going back in fall for my adult education teaching credentil.. have been a self employed business woman all my life..

Girl ignore those people and stay in love with your man ....

Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 PM

I have a college degree in sociology with a minor in women's studies. My family (mainly my mother) has huge problems with me waiting for my fiance. It has put a huge strain on things...especially since he comes home soon. She convinced herself that I would have left him before he got release, but now that he is coming home she is absolutely freaking out and I constantly hear that I am better than him, my education being one of the reasons.
I love my fiance more than anything in the world and feel that we have a great relationship. My education has nothing to do with the reasons I started dated him, continued dating him after he was locked up, or our future together.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:56 AM

I have a Masters degree in forensic psychology

Last edited by HEISMYANGEL; 05-28-2006 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Elizabeth

I have a BS in Child, Family, and Social Services with a minor in Addictive Disorders. I graduated a few shorts months after my bf got locked up. I am working toward getting a Masters degree in Social Work and possibly then a Juris Docturate. My huni is currently getting his GED and I"m as proud of him as ever. My parents dont view my education as a reason why I shouldn't be with him, but maybe a reason why I am. All they care about is that I am happy and they clearly see that he is what makes me smile. Everything happens for a reason!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:13 PM
He's perfect!
Donation Award 

Thank you for asking this question. I have actually had people say, "Girl, you are a college graduate, you should be smart enough to know better than get mixed up with a criminal" I am so glad to see so many degreed people in here. I can use that next time someone says something to me.
I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administation
An Associates in Aviation Maintenance Technology
An Associates in Human Resources
An Associates in General Studies
And I am working on my Master of Arts in Administration/Organizational Developement.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
still here

Wink

Hey! I'm not finished with school yet, but I've been in college for 3 years and have a 3.58 gpa (it should be better but I just now started really trying hard). I just got accepted into the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences to get my BS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (it's where you do ultrasounds, most people ask what it is so I thought I would go ahead and tell you). Anyway, I'm sure my parents are gonna start bringing that up too when they realize I'm really serious about him. I'm glad you posted this thread to let people see that there are a lot of educated people that actually date inmates.

Home Since 11-29-06 & Broke Up Since 06-13-07
The Following User Says Thank You to D's Wifey To Be For This Useful Post:
Carlapetty (03-26-2017)
Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 AM

I have an MBA and my hubby has graduated high school! Here's the kicker - I'm the one that is facing the time not him.
Tell your momma that education does not make the wo(man) I worked my ass for my degrees (AS Business, BS Accounting, BS Management, MBA) I worked full time with two kids, while my husband never wanted the degree.

Does that make me a better person? no way! and does the fact that I am going to prison make me a worse person? truth is I am and always will be the same person.

After each degree I received, the people I worked with treated me differently. Like I went to school for 10 years, but the day I walked up that platform I was suddenly a better person. What a shallow society we live in. We claim to be so advanced and yet we still judge a persons value by a piece of paper, the color of their skin, the car they drive, whatever. Do you think your Mother would feel better about your man if he was on the outside, with a degree and making the big bucks...and all the while beating you everynight?

Mothers are great for advice...but you've got to live your own live and that is advice from a Mother of two. One has a degree and the other didn't graduate from high school and both are happily married and deeply in love!

Thanks for listening, I"ll climb down off my soapbox now! lol
Old 05-29-2006, 05:09 AM

Default How many of you have college degrees?

In response to your posting, I have a Master in Public Health, and I am currently working on my doctorate in business administration.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 AM
getting close!

I just want to say, we are some smart cookies! I knew this before the poll, and it doesn't matter how you voted, life experiences count for a lot, too. How many "educated" people can hold it down? I know my share of people who have a hard enough time being a parent with a job and a spouse at home. Tell her to try this lifestyle sometime. It takes more than a lot of love to handle it. Being a parent, paying the bills, going to work/school, writing letters, visiting...I think we manage it because we don't have any spare time to think about how chaotic it is! Ain't a moron I know who could juggle life this fragile
Old 05-29-2006, 08:05 PM

Default degree stuff

Greetings,

I have a B.A. in psychology and history, and hope to finish my M.S. in rehabilitation counseling this fall. In addition, I plan on soldiering forward to my Ph.D. in either counselor education, public policy with a criminal justice specialization, or rehabilitation education and research. Serving 7 months motivated me to accomplish greater things in life, though the social stigma of a drug charge might preclude any gainful employment for a few years (or for life:-O). Unfortunately, the government has lowered the bar on what kind of crimes warrant incarceration, and so the types of people serving time has begun to include a broad spectrum of individuals.

Hope this Helps,

gradschoolfelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytwo
My friends and family are disappointed that im dating an inmate. They often refer to my education as a reason for me not dating a inmate? I always tell them im not the only person with a degree who dates or marries an in mate. so im asking how many of you have degrees and what type of degree do you have?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 PM

We both have our BAs from a good school. I'm looking at getting a Masters at some point. We also both had very good jobs (I still do). So people often raise an eyebrow at this situation when they find out.

It makes me want to scream, "It can affect everybody, damnit!"

My degree is in English Creative Writing and Film. His is in Communications and Film. If I did a Masters it would be an MFA in either Film Postproduction (I'm an editor) or Creative Writing (*shrug* Why not?).
Old 05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I love my husband

I have an associates degree as well as a bachlor's degree. I am a very well educated woman, and my husband made a mistake in life, which he is now paying for. My education has nothing to do with why I chose to stay by my husband's side, like a real woman is suppose to do.
Mrs.W