Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

View Poll Results: Do you think we*d is the gateway drug?
YES 44 27.50%
NO 116 72.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Mostly Shopping

I've smoked weed for 21 years and have not tried anything else on a permanent basis. If someone wants to get high to get away from things they will start with the most widely available drug, which is weed. This won't work, because it doesn't shut out reality, so they have to try something else, such as coke.
So no, I know it's not a gateway drug!
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneswife1127 View Post
people who are "addicted" to weed are mentally weak in my opinion. i can smoke for days at a time when i have the extra money and not smoke for weeks and be fine. i dont by any means put it first. i make sure i have money for bills, diapers, food ect. i love smoking and so does my husband but we can stop when we dont have the money. weak people become addicts.
Im an alcoholic, and while i respect this is your opinion, it is one of those things that is really offensive to people with addictions... While I quit drinking AND smoking (cigarettes) Im STILL and alcoholic.. and im not a weak minded person by ANY means!! If i were weak minded do you really think i would have the strength to take care of two kids, keep up my house and stay with my husband who is in prison... On thing this sight has taught me is how strong i truelt am and you are here telling people who are addicts they are weak, they come here to seek out support and telling them they are weak is NOT support!

It takes a strong person to fill the roll of prison wife, or girlfriend mother husband... etc... and yes addicts and inmates sometimes need tough love calling them weak is in no way any type of love, not even tough.. I applaud the ppl that come here for support through there addiction or loved one's addiction but lets not make them feel any more bad than they already do... If I were a mod this comment would have been removed cause it is not supportive or informative it is purely judgemental and mean
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Hi Kenya,

Absolutely weed is a gateway drug! Same story here, weed turned me from a successful young person with a beautiful life ahead of me to all sorts of problems...because it had me around a certain group of people. I've been clean and sober for 10 years now and it's been hell coming back form it all...the subsequent alcohol and cocaine snorting, partying, and all the social/educational/career consequences that came along with it. What a waste of time...

Congratulations on your sobriety. It's amazing.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,298 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbdf65 View Post
Hi Kenya,

Absolutely weed is a gateway drug! Same story here, weed turned me from a successful young person with a beautiful life ahead of me to all sorts of problems...because it had me around a certain group of people. I've been clean and sober for 10 years now and it's been hell coming back form it all...the subsequent alcohol and cocaine snorting, partying, and all the social/educational/career consequences that came along with it. What a waste of time...

Congratulations on your sobriety. It's amazing.
That's part of my problem w/ it being illegal. Cigarrettes and Alcohol are far more dangerous to the human body, and yet, you can walk into most drug stores and buy them from a "qualified" individual.
It pot were legal, you could do the same thing, and thus avoid the "unsavory" characters
I would say that you are right... most pot dealers also sell other drugs, so if an individual is inclined to try something else - they almost always have access to it. So really, it's often a gateway drug, because of the method you are forced to buy it in. However, the individual doing the buying, has to have the desire to try something else, and that is individual, not something caused by marijuana
Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,620 Times in 11,025 Posts

Oh, come on, folks! The gateway substance is baby formula and breast milk! That's where it always starts.
Onaicult (05-04-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
keepin it REAL since 1981

I was like 14 smoking ciggs n stealing alcohol from my parents way before weed tried a few other things when I was younger and just didn't keep up the lifestyle. It all depends on the person.

Originally Posted by shaneswife1127:
people who are "addicted" to weed are mentally weak in my opinion. i can smoke for days at a time when i have the extra money and not smoke for weeks and be fine. i dont by any means put it first. i make sure i have money for bills, diapers, food ect. i love smoking and so does my husband but we can stop when we dont have the money. weak people become addicts

But this chick that said weak people become addicts I'm sorry that sounds so idiotic and judgmental get it together hunny n take a long hard look in the mirror before u throw words like that out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeswifey730 For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (07-24-2011)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onaicult View Post
That's part of my problem w/ it being illegal. Cigarrettes and Alcohol are far more dangerous to the human body, and yet, you can walk into most drug stores and buy them from a "qualified" individual.
It pot were legal, you could do the same thing, and thus avoid the "unsavory" characters
I would say that you are right... most pot dealers also sell other drugs, so if an individual is inclined to try something else - they almost always have access to it. So really, it's often a gateway drug, because of the method you are forced to buy it in. However, the individual doing the buying, has to have the desire to try something else, and that is individual, not something caused by marijuana
Legal/illegal isn't even an issue for me...it's about what pot does to a person. It makes one lethargic in every sense. People who smoke it end up being under-achievers in most areas of their lives.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,298 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbdf65 View Post
Legal/illegal isn't even an issue for me...it's about what pot does to a person. It makes one lethargic in every sense. People who smoke it end up being under-achievers in most areas of their lives.
That's hilarious, and absolutely untrue Thanks for the laugh!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Wow.... Some of these comments are so judgemental. Personally i believe the biggest gateway drug is alcohol. People are so judgemental about marijuana now but we seem to forget its been used for centuries for medicinal purposes....as peace offering. ... As money. A persons reaction to it and the way they let it affect their life is that persons responsibility. U control how much u smoke when u smoke and if ur careful what's in what ur smoking. Its all about the persons control.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luvnangl For This Useful Post:
Brianssong (06-17-2011), MrsCetina (07-24-2011), Onaicult (05-13-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 PM

I personally believe it is. I say that because I thought if I let my ex use weed instead of being a drill sgt. telling him you can't do this can't do that. Because I had never had experience with a drug user, I had no idea that him smoking weed would have led him to getting right back into meth hard core. If anything he told me it would keep him from wanting to use meth...yeah right! and now he's back in prison because he violated parole due to dirty tests.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM

Default C'mon People

Kenya874 Question : Do you believe weed is the gateway drug to other drugs??

It has been documented that less than 8% of all the people who ever tried or experimented with marijuana ever went on to harder drugs. If it was a "Gateway Drug" the incidence ratio of advancing to hard drug addiction would have to be much higher to validate that claim.

The Psychosocial effects and circumstances in each individuals life has a much higher contributing factor to hard drug usage and eventual addictions...

If smoking weed is a gateway drug to heroin, then drinking milk is a gateway to alcoholism. The blame lies not with the beer or joint, it lies with the person as an individual. Stop blaming inanimate objects for peoples decisions. This is just some of the illogical propaganda left over from the sixties of the Reefer Madness era...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoCalChlln For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Parker~A.N.F. (07-01-2010), MrsCetina (07-24-2011)
Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 PM

Default That sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe007 View Post
I personally believe it is. I say that because I thought if I let my ex use weed instead of being a drill sgt. telling him you can't do this can't do that. Because I had never had experience with a drug user, I had no idea that him smoking weed would have led him to getting right back into meth hard core. If anything he told me it would keep him from wanting to use meth...yeah right! and now he's back in prison because he violated parole due to dirty tests.
Chances are he would have ended up back there for dirty meth tests anyway. Marijuana was not a gateway drug in his instance, when you start compromising your sobriety with anything, once the process (ritual) starts, it's almost impossible to stop, in fact, I will bet he had been drinking alcohol since his release as well. Weed smokers don't generally use meth, or vice versa, but alcohol/meth cross addiction is quite common, they use meth when they drink too much alcohol to perk themselves up, and drink when they want to come down from the meth. I have seen more meth addicts relapse behind alcohol than any other reason out there. I doubt there was anything YOU could have done different to have changed the outcome. Sorry about your heartache...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoCalChlln For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Parker~A.N.F. (07-01-2010), MrsCetina (07-24-2011)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalChlln View Post
Kenya874 Question : Do you believe weed is the gateway drug to other drugs??

It has been documented that less than 8% of all the people who ever tried or experimented with marijuana ever went on to harder drugs. If it was a "Gateway Drug" the incidence ratio of advancing to hard drug addiction would have to be much higher to validate that claim.

The Psychosocial effects and circumstances in each individuals life has a much higher contributing factor to hard drug usage and eventual addictions...

If smoking weed is a gateway drug to heroin, then drinking milk is a gateway to alcoholism. The blame lies not with the beer or joint, it lies with the person as an individual. Stop blaming inanimate objects for peoples decisions. This is just some of the illogical propaganda left over from the sixties of the Reefer Madness era...

Thank YOU!!!!!!
....blaming inanimate objects vs. peoples decisions...HUM???
It's the biggest load of crap that anyone’s ever came up with in my opinion!!!!!!
And just an FYI: I fully support and use medical cannabis and have for many years, I do not nor will I ever use a drug in my life! And I have accomplished more in my life than most 23 year olds ever will, not all people who smoke marijuana are unmotivated losers!!!
MrsCetina (07-24-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Yeah same here, we stop counting them as drugs when we get so used to them I think (and when they become legal for us of course) But think back to when you were a kid and you weren't allowed to smoke or drink - they were definitely considered drugs then. And obviously gateway drugs if you started drinking and/or smoking before other things...
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
He's my Peace from God

I believe for some it is the first drug they use and once they are in the realm of friends who do more they try more because of the mentality that the weed wasn't so bad and my friends are ok doing other stuff. But they first have the mentality that it is ok to do drugs period because weed is a drug, legal or not. Anything that alters your mental state is a drug.

With Gods direction we can get thru this !!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Donation Award 

No I think it has more to do with the person. Some people smoke weed and never touch other drugs, I have met many people who do other drugs yet never smoke.
Alcohol and tobacco are usually the first drugs we try. At least weed is 100% non toxic and has medicinal benefits.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 PM

No, it is not.

I searched for a better high because I was trying to self-medicate my depression, not because I was bored of weed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM

I don't think it is a gateway drug for most. But an addict is an addict is an addict. An addict will get addicted to anything that fulfills their need to self medicate. My son is an addict and I've done alot of research and alot of meetings. I don't really believe in "gateway" drugs. Congrats to you in your recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 22mom For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (05-03-2011), MrsCetina (07-24-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Luvn me for me

I just don't see it so black and white. I agree weed CAN be a gateway to some, and to others that is the only thing they touch. From what i have been exposed to, its the ones that have addictive personalities that end up doing more than just weed. I also think alcohol is a gateway as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisTrigger For This Useful Post:
Old Man (12-31-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Donation Award 

I don't know if I believe in a gateway anything. In my younger years I was out partying and getting wasted every weekend. It didn't make me want to put a needle in my arm. I'll smoke out a couple times a month but it hasn't made me want to put anything up my nose. That being said, my fiance is an addict. I have, fairly recently, gone through a relapse with him, from our talks it's and the way he explains it, it seemed to me like he was chasing the high. He'd do a little bit and then when he wasn't getting that satisfying high he'd do more, when that wasn't enough, he'd up it again, and it was just a vicious cycle. I'm afraid that smoking pot would be all right for awhile but that at some point that high isn't going to be enough for him and he turns to something else. That very well may not be the case with him but why chance it?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,205 Times in 2,544 Posts

I believe that pot is not the gateway drug, much like the rest of you. I smoke cigarettes...that's my drug of choice.

It all depends on the person.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 PM

No, I don't believe in gateway drugs as much as I do personalities. Very individual thing. Take pot out of the picture and chances are the same people who.use or don't use would still find the same path.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just t
No, I don't believe in gateway drugs as much as I do personalities. Very individual thing. Take pot out of the picture and chances are the same people who.use or don't use would still find the same path.
Being that I started weed yes its one gateway

Joeysboo
The Following User Says Thank You to nikki1216 For This Useful Post:
Old Man (12-31-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM

I agree with some of the others.....it depends on the individual. There are variables, a lot of them!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaoticangel For This Useful Post:
Old Man (12-31-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Living Dead, from Meth

Pot itself is Not the gateway.

The People who are involved in other drugs ARE the gateway.

I cannot count the times I've heard these words, '
O-comon Man, it's cool, you'll like it, "We" do it.

Most Dope smokers are "Cool" so other folks who do stronger/different things accept them into the group, exposure leads to complacency, in any arena it doesn't matter which.

When in company of items of interest or not, the "thought-pattern" emerges, hmmm maybe?

Simply put, Birds of a Feather, Flock Together.

And I'm probably older than the average age of three of this group.
Been there, done that.

I've buried more that I care to think about from Alcohol and Drugs.

Many of my Best Friends & Roommates, Girlfriends and Pals in general not counting the ones I just knew from the bar/work or wherever .

I suppose the ones that hurt the worst are the 16, 17 & 18 yr olds that die from the effects or suicide from inability to shake the depression.

Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Trust in me, I am thy friend, all people of the Earth will become "the Living Dead"
For My name is Meth