Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:19 AM

Angry Stop unjust MOSOP practices

My fiance is currently an inmate at the Farmington Correctional Center in Farmington MO. He is considered a sex offender, and is required to complete the MOSOP program to be released on his conditional release date, which was supposed to be December of 2018. He went to the special housing unit they have to do the MOSOP program, which takes a year to complete, in August of 2017. In October of 2017, they kicked him out of the MOSOP program because of "excessive phone calls" to me. They claimed he made 700 calls in a 23 day period, and wanted to limit him to 2 calls per day. That would have given him the opportunity to call me once a day and his mother once a day. He refused to have his calls limited at such a drastic amount, and they drew up papers for him to be kicked out of the program, and now his release date is October 2023. They did not give him any other option except to limit his calls to 2. He would have been willing to limit them, just not at that amount. He would have been unable to call 700 times in that short amount of time, because part of his day was spent in class and therapy group. They said he would be considered for a "second chance" IF the chance arose. He did not break any rule, and therefore should not have been kicked out of the program. We have found out that they kick numerous amounts of men out of the program all the time and make them wait, with little hope of a second chance at the program, until their full sentence is served before letting them out of prison. They have to sit there, wasting taxpayers dollars, for the full amount of their sentence when most didn't even break a rule. There is one man at Farmington who was kicked out of MOSOP when he had only ONE WEEK left until the program would have been complete. I think this is a travesty. I understand that the prisoners need to complete the program to help them make the right decisions, and to feel remorse for the victims, but kicking them out of the program for no justifiable reason, and making them wait on a slim chance of another shot at the program is in no way helpful to them. If they don't have the manpower or resources to get these individuals in the program to successfully complete it, as per Missouri Statutes, then why can they not complete the program on an outpatient basis, and let them take it while they are home with their families? Making them wait longer to be released, without any definitive reason, is counterproductive. If they wait until their full release date to get out of prison, they would not complete the program anyway, and if Missouri is so worried about them doing the program, shouldn't they make sure every prisoner completes it to the best of their ability? They are basically being housed for their full sentence instead of being given another chance at parole. I think this is unjust, unfair, and I am not sure who to turn to in order to help these men out. The prison officials don't care about these people, they are only there to make them a buck. The MOSOP board does not care about these men, or they would not kick them out left and right for no good reason. I care for the people in there, and I love one of them dearly, and I want to help them but I don't know who to go to for help, or how to help. I don't ever get a clear answer when I speak with someone at the prison, and they do their best to rush me off the phone. I am at my wits end, and I just want my future husband home. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you have any ideas on where I can turn for help, I would really appreciate hearing them. Thank You.

Sincerely,
Karen L Anderson

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 AM

Did he have this guideline in writing prior to entering the program?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Did he have this guideline in writing prior to entering the program?

No he did not. They did not try to limit the amount of calls he made until 2 months AFTER his entry to the program.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Thanked 1,452 Times in 797 Posts

Tough problem.

One option is to write your state legislator(s) and protest the waste of money.

Ask your loved one for permission first since he's the one who will face retaliation.
fbopnomore (01-18-2018), Nickel Timer (01-18-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 AM
I love my Kindle

I’ve never been in prison but if I were to end up there I think I would have agreed to the limitation of calls. The prison has control over the inmates’ lives and whether they are released. I’ve always felt that when committing a crime that lands someone in prison the person is basically saying to the gov’t. “here is my life, do what you will with it.” I know the prison system is deeply flawed and there are likely many there who should not be there or who received an unjust sentence. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic, but a prisoner is in no position to refuse their sanctions .. this is just being realistic.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anna7 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-21-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), MrsDeeKay (02-21-2018), safran (01-21-2018), Sarianna (07-16-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Thanked 10,963 Times in 5,948 Posts

They didn't bounce him BECAUSE of the number of calls. From what is described here, he got bounced when they presented him with a rule that he chose, of his own volition, to refuse to follow. Seems to me that, given the choice of getting out or doing a longer percentage of the sentence, it would have been worth staying off of the phone...two calls a day is still two more than MANY offenders make.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), His_Queen13 (02-25-2018), MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), MrsDeeKay (02-21-2018), Ms Sunny (01-30-2018), safran (01-21-2018), Sarianna (07-16-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanked 1,452 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Iíve always felt that when committing a crime that lands someone in prison the person is basically saying to the govít. ďhere is my life, do what you will with it."
There have to be limits to that. Someone who's given up his freedom for a life of crime hasn't given up other basic human rights.
Itshardtowait (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
There have to be limits to that. Someone who's given up his freedom for a life of crime hasn't given up other basic human rights.
Unlimited telephone calls from the prison is not a 'basic human right.'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Anna7 (02-20-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), xolady (02-21-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Unlimited telephone calls from the prison is not a 'basic human right.'
Phone calls at all are not a right - in or out of prison.
Anna7 (02-20-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), MrsDeeKay (02-21-2018), xolady (02-21-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 PM
I love my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post

An inmate doesnít give up his/her basic human rights but itís really prison staff who determine whether those rights get fully respected ..
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
No he did not. They did not try to limit the amount of calls he made until 2 months AFTER his entry to the program.
I highly doubt your statement, I'm sure he was aware and just choose to ignore it as long as no one stopped him. I know you only are saying what he's told you, before you start defending his "rights" you'd better have this in writing from him. And not his writing as all prison rules are generally in writing as are program rules.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:19 PM

I’m just puzzled that this would be about phone calls made. It’s about too many phone calls. They obviously know when an inmate is or did make a phone call. They control every part of an inmates life, why didn’t they just limit him to the desired calls per day. I”m learning that the system sets people up to fail. Not experienced in all of this, just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsweldn2 View Post
Iím just puzzled that this would be about phone calls made. Itís about too many phone calls. They obviously know when an inmate is or did make a phone call. They control every part of an inmates life, why didnít they just limit him to the desired calls per day. IĒm learning that the system sets people up to fail. Not experienced in all of this, just my opinion.
To claim the system set this person up to fail is CRAP! He would have been advised of the rules. He was the one who chose to violate them. He gets to pay the consequence of the decision. Life is about choices. The 'system' does not have the obligation to play nanny at every step of the way...adults know the rules. If they choose not to follow them, then they ALSO know consequence attaches.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), safran (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM
I love my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsweldn2 View Post
Iím just puzzled that this would be about phone calls made. Itís about too many phone calls. They obviously know when an inmate is or did make a phone call. They control every part of an inmates life, why didnít they just limit him to the desired calls per day. IĒm learning that the system sets people up to fail. Not experienced in all of this, just my opinion.
If you go back and read the OPís original post, she says he was offered permission to make 2 calls a day and he refused to have his calls limited to that amount. That is why he was kicked out of the program.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna7 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), safran (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,823 Posts

"I”m learning that the system sets people up to fail."

This is not the case here; the person declining to limit his phone calls to two a day was the reason for the fail.

I was the inmate and don't think the limits on the phone are unrealistic, but then I was in federal prisons - if you want to make two phone calls every day while in federal prison those phone call would have to be limited to five minutes each.

If you're an inmate in a federal super-max prison one phone call a month is what you're allowed.

Phone calls are a privilege; they don't have to be given at all. In fact they are one of the first things taken away as punishment in federal prisons if you get into trouble.

I am often stunned to read inmates think they have bargaining power; they don't. As an inmate you do it how the prison staff says or you don't do it. Very annoying and a huge part of why I was only arrest one time.

Last edited by safran; 02-21-2018 at 10:02 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018), Rodsweldn2 (02-22-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 PM

I thought it was just me that got trolled on this website.

The system absolutely sets people up to fail. I think there best work in that department is taking the driver license of people who fall behind on child support so they can't get to work.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSisEvil View Post
I thought it was just me that got trolled on this website.

The system absolutely sets people up to fail. I think there best work in that department is taking the driver license of people who fall behind on child support so they can't get to work.
Youíre not ďgetting trolledĒ. You chose to put your issue here on a discussion site.
So you got discussion.
Action - reaction.
You wouldnít come here if you didnít want discussion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (07-16-2018), MizzyMuffling (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,574 Posts

Besides the issue apparent - and I'm agreeing witih CenTexLyn about the not wanting to follow the rules and/or accept what they offered - is anyone else shocked as me that they are claiming 700 calls in 23 day period? That's approx. 30 calls a day...
And I'm not trying to be offensive but 30 calls a day?????? When do you sleep, eat, work, brush your teeth? Who's paying for those calls? I'm stunned.. that's all.
CenTexLyn (07-16-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), linh5555 (07-16-2018), Ms Sunny (07-16-2018), nimuay (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,994 Times in 7,067 Posts

Allrighty then. First things first. The original post was back in January of this year. If you have nothing to say about the content of the post and how to help, then take it off the boards.

I understand where some of you are coming from. I get it, but this back and forth bickering on a thread ain't gonna get it. STOP it! Any further posts that are not about the topic in this thread WILL be removed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-16-2018), nimuay (07-16-2018), patchouli (07-16-2018), Sarianna (07-17-2018)