Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 02-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,639 Times in 348 Posts
Default What to do and what not to do - Hepatitis

We will start to compile a list of "What to do..." and "What not to do..." if you have one of the Hepatitis viruses...

I also realize that for our loved ones inside the walls, some of these recommendations will not be possible. We can however steer them to the best possible options. More of these recommendations will be of value to those we know that are not behind the walls.

(Co-Moderators - please edit THIS POST and continue to list under my start here. It will be easier as a reference if we can keep all the variables in the first post and allow the replies to be additional information - we can pull that information into this first post too!)

What to do if you have Hep C

Milk Thistle
Licorice Root (Not with high blood pressure)
Eat a diet high in RAW vegetables and fruit (Organic to avoid chemicals and pesticides if possible)
Drink 'green' drinks - carrot juice and beet juice (get a juicer)
Get plenty of rest
Drink 6+ glasses of water a day - as pure as you can get.

Since the cost of interferon and ribavarin is so prohibitive to many people, especially if you do not have medical insurance, it is important that you look into herbal remedies and vitamin supplements that will fortify your liver.

DO RESEARCH on all of the following, that may benefit you:

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B6
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Betacarotene - NOT Vitamin A (There is a difference)
Folic Acid
Milk Thistle
Dandelion Root
Chicory
Vervain
Astalagus
Licorice Root (This one should NOT be taken if you have high blood pressure. Otherwise it is very beneficial to the liver.)

What not to do if you have Hep C

Consume NO alcohol - NONE
Avoid sugar, fats and highly processed foods
Avoid raw fish and shellfish
Avoid animal protein - organic (free range) is better than store bought if you must eat meat! Store bought is full of antibiotics and growth hormones and just stuff.
Do not take any drugs that are not prescribed by your doctor
Do not take Tylenol or NSAID's (Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) And think twice before taking aspirin and iboprofen, also, but take them INSTEAD of tylenol, if you need to.
Quit smoking
Do not smoke Marijuana
Do not do other Illicit drugs
Do not take supplements with IRON This is what Hep C viruses use to replicate!!
Do not take CELANDINE
Do not take Chapparel - INCREASES the RATE of liver damage.
Do not take Comfrey - obstructs blood flow to the liver, increasing the rate of fibrosis and cirrhosis damge
Do not take Germander
Do not take Lobelia
Do not take Yohimbe
Do not take Cod Liver Oil

A perscription for our loved ones if they have Hep C

We realize that the products above are not going to be available for our loved ones inside of the walls. Many of them have vitamins available and this is a good thing, but they sould request vitamins without Iron.

In general what would be appropriate to advise our loved ones is to eat as healthy as possible. Eat the 'whole' foods that are prepared in the prison chow hall. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible and slow down on the meat. If they can have raw fruits and vegetables that is better. Drink water - lots of water - over koolaid or any other sugar rich drink like soda. Avoid soda and koolaid all together if possible. If there is a choice of brown bread over white - choose the brown or whole wheat. Avoid all candy, chocolate, processed foods, chips, honey buns, and all the chemical rich packaged foods - get rid of all of that from the diet if possible. (I am not saying that the occasional weak moment won't happen, but for the rule - avoid) Ask them to quit smoking - this will have more health benefits than just saving the liver.

Basically look at everything that they put into their mouths as food or drink. If it is not a 'whole' food then don't eat it. Avoid anything that is processed and packaged like junk food. Avoid sugar and chemical additives.

This will not be easy since our loved ones do not necessarily have control over the food that they eat, but they can eat as healthy as possible given the circumstance.

Your liver has to process each and every chemical that you put through your body so if you avoid the processed chemicals you are giving your liver a fighting chance. If you overburden it with more than necessary then it is constantly challenged.

Last edited by Ken; 02-16-2003 at 10:12 AM..
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Ken For This Useful Post:
amickeyfan (04-12-2010), Barbara (10-05-2011), Bchace74 (06-25-2009), ClosetFreak (09-18-2011), Confused08 (07-01-2008), DRPrincess (03-06-2014), Endless_Love (09-30-2008), eternally17 (07-03-2009), forthelonghaul (09-25-2010), HisSO (05-07-2011), hummingbird3 (07-17-2011), JanG53 (03-26-2013), jillykins23 (07-27-2013), kfarmer (09-18-2011), KLK8798 (05-22-2010), lovealways1 (08-30-2011), MsSchoolday (03-11-2011), mygummybear (05-20-2010), nicmiller (10-02-2011), number one son (04-17-2010), OldOrion (04-03-2012), only1love (01-04-2009), pamelalynn (12-01-2008), Paradise0608 (03-10-2009), PrisonFriend (07-13-2011), sheree572 (08-26-2010), SKHUGHES (08-10-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Munchausen by Internet Queen

This is a very important fact, that most Hep C people do not know!

If you find yourself with "psychological" symptoms, like confusion, inability to concentrate, irritability etc. there is a STRONG POSSIBILITY that your ammonia levels are elevated in your brain. (A commonly occuring effect for Hep c patients.) You need to stay away from animal proteins - fish and meat - for a few days, so the levels can go back down again.

I cannot impress enough upon everyone that EVERYTHING YOU INGEST INTO YOUR BODY is processed by your liver!

All My Love,
Menolly
Old 02-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

To add to what Menolly said above...

I went through a time in my life where I was very abusive to my system. I was on a toxic overload and my liver was terribly compromised.

I was 'smelling' ammonia every morning when I was in the shower. I did not have a bottle of ammonia in the house and I was convinced that it was coming from the shower drain.

It was not. It was coming from me! It was escaping through my pores because my liver could not remove it and it had built up to a level of crisis. I was toxically sick and through cleansing (eliminating certain foods) I got it under control.

The Prison System is Broken
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ken For This Useful Post:
Ireland_4Ever (12-31-2008), LionessLove (10-17-2008), number one son (04-17-2010), viviana1 (08-21-2010)
Old 02-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Please always look at the very first post in this thread. Information in the first post will be added and updated as we find more and new information sources.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Been here forever

Will you make this a sticky?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Munchausen by Internet Queen

Oh, I just remembered:

If your town/city chlorinates and/or flouridates the town's water, DRINK SPRING WATER! Also COOK with spring water! This will alleviate a lot of nausea and vomitting type symptoms!

All My Love,
Menolly
Old 07-02-2003, 01:43 PM

In regard to your post " What to do and what not to do." You stated that Licorice Root should not be taken if you have high blood pressure. Please include that individuals with cirrhosis should not take Licorice root due to esophageal varices and possible bleeds.
It was also mentioned that aspirin or ibuprofen (which are NSAID's) should be taken before Tylenol. This is not the general consensus with doctors or advocates in the Hepatitis C community. Most doctors will recommend Tylenol before taking ibuprofen or aspirin. Please read below. Thanks.

Painkillers and the Liver

One of the most common questions that I am asked by my patients with hepatitis or other liver diseases is - "Which type of painkiller is safer for my liver - acetaminophen (Tylenol), or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (such as Aspirin, or Motrin)?"- Well, in this brief article which is excerpted from my book : "Dr. Melissa Palmer's Guide To Hepatitis and Liver Disease" I will answer this question.

Acetaminophen ( APAP or Tylenol) is a medication used to control pain ( known as an analgesic ) and fever ( known as an antipyretic ). It does this without producing the stomach discomfort often experienced with aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs). This capability has caused acetaminophen to become a very popular alternative to NSAIDs. In small doses (i.e. less than four grams per day, or eight pills taken over a twenty-four hour period of time) acetaminophen is quite safe for the liver. ( Note : each acetaminophen tablet or pill typically contains 500mg of acetaminophen). In fact, acetaminophen is the recommended medication for relieving minor aches, pains and headaches from any cause in individuals with liver disease.

However, when taken in excessive quantities or when combined with alcohol, acetaminophen may cause death due to liver failure. In fact, an overdose of acetaminophen is one of the most common causes of liver failure, as well as the most common cause of drug-induced liver disease in the United States. And, after acetaminophen became readily available in 1960 as an over-the- counter medication, it became one of the most popular instrumentality's for attempting suicide.

For liver injury to occur, acetaminophen must generally be consumed in a quantity exceeding fifteen grams within a short period of time, such as in a single dose. Although uncommon, an ingestion of between seven to ten grams at one time may also cause liver damage. The consumption of alcohol in conjunction with acetaminophen significantly increases the likelihood that an individual will incur severe liver damage. Therefore, individuals who consume alcohol on a regular basis should probably limit acetaminophen intake to a maximum of one to two grams per day ( i.e. two to four pills within a twenty-four hour period). Still, the best advise for individuals with liver disease is to totally abstain from alcohol.

Individuals should take special note that acetaminophen is also an active ingredient in more than two hundred other medications, including Nyquil and Anacin 3. So, it is essential to carefully read the labels of all over-the- counter medications carefully. Other commonly used medications such as omeprazole ( Prilosec), phenytoin ( Dilantin), and isoniazid (INH) may increase the risk of liver injury caused by acetaminophen. It is always in the liver patient's best interests to consult with his or her hepatologist prior to taking any medication.

Acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin) and other NSAIDs are drugs which are widely used for their anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. They also have the potential to cause drug-induced liver disease. In fact, many NSAIDs have been withdrawn from the market due to their harmful effects on the liver ( known as hepatotoxicity). All NSAIDs have the potential to cause liver injury. However, some NSAIDs are more hepatotoxic than others. The NSAIDs which are presently on the market, yet are frequently associated with liver injury are: aspirin (ASA), diclofenac (Voltaren), and sulindac (Clinoril). Therefore, individuals with liver disease should avoid using these NSAIDs. Older women seem to be particularly susceptible to the hepatotoxicity of NSAIDs, and are best advised to avoid NSAIDs altogether. Individuals who have developed complications of cirrhosis, (known as decompensated cirrhosis), such as ascites ( accumulation of fluid in the abdomen) or bleeding esophageal varices ( enlarged blood vessels in the esophagus), are at increased risk for kidney injury due to NSAIDs. Since this may lead to both liver and kidney failure, known as hepatorenal syndrome, individuals with advanced liver disease are best advised to totally avoid all NSAIDs.

In conclusion, acetaminophen taken in moderate dosages is generally the safer choice for the relief of minor aches and pains occurring in individuals with any type of hepatitis or liver disease.

Reprinted with permission of the author Melissa Palmer, MD from the book "Dr. Melissa Palmer's Guide To Hepatitis and Liver Disease". © Copyright Melissa Palmer, MD 2000

copyright © 2000 Melissa Palmer, MD
Old 12-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Account Closed

How safe is it to have a baby when both parents are infected
with Hep C? What will the outcome be? Will the baby has severe mental retardation? Need to know asap
Old 08-29-2004, 11:10 PM
MISSIN BOB

i was kind of wondering about the baby thing to can anyone help??

Old 10-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Donation Award 

Here is a web link for a site that contains some useful information on the prevention of Hepatitis.

http://www.preventhepatitis.com/correct_resources.html
Old 02-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Home since 9/29/05! Yes!!

thank you so much for all the great information. very helpful.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:58 AM

Thank You I am learning so much about my brother diease.
I love this forum.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:00 AM

Thank you for all the important information...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Angel

Default Not necessariliy the baby is in danger!

As far as I know... a doctor - friend told me that. A baby must not be infected. The risk is rather low level, but I cannot say how many percent.
I know that Hep C is hard to get. There are couples married since 40 years or longer and their husbands caught Hep C in the Second world war. The whole family and kids are NOT infected.
I have a friend with Hep C and his to kids are NOT infected, either the mother who had sex. You need blood contact to get it. Blood to blood.
It is dangerous - no doubt. But not so easy to get.
To protect inmates from Hep C - Buy them electric razors! They give them used razors on death row as far as I know from first hand.
I hope this could help a bit.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 PM

There is a 5-7% chance of the baby transmitting Hep C from a Hep C positive mother. The odds increase according to the viral load. They are still debating whether having a voluntary c-section (less blood-to-blood contact) decreases the chance of transmission. If you find the right doctor, they will let you make that choice yourself. I have had 3 children while being Hep C positive. The first 2, I didn't know, so they were vaginal births and they both test negative. My baby is only 3 months old and he was born by VOLUNTARY c-section, to prevent transmission. A baby is always born with the antibodies, but can't really be tested for the virus until they are 15 months old. Most doctors don't know much about this. They are either OB's or GI's. Not both, so I did my own research. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO K-Chick and thank you for the info.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM

it seems to be missed in this thread SAFE SEX !!! no matter what PERIOD and DO NOT share needles,tooth brushes,razors etc . it makes so much sence but you would be amazed how many still share needles , you may have hep, but do you want aids next ?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Interfreon and MS

A family member was given interfreon a year and half ago--now they have MS--her Dr is researching the side effects of interfreon because interfreon does not stop attacking the body after all the cancer or Hep cell are destroyed. The medical community knows it does continue to do some damage but not sure if MS is one possibile side effect or not--have any of you heard about or experienced any side effect from this med that caused neurophaty or MS etc.
Thanks for your help
Proud grannie
The Following User Says Thank You to proud grannie For This Useful Post:
LionessLove (07-16-2009)
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 AM

Default My brother's in north kern state in delano, ca

He has Hepatitis C, was just transferred to reception center about 2 weels ago, they haven't given him his meds, though he cant stand the side effects, he knows he needs it and he has asked for them, nothing yet as of 4 days ago. Just before getting there, a nurse said that the rash/sore and horrible itch he developed several months already, seemed to be ringworms, has over 12, he freaked out beside hept c, now dealing with this situation, they gave him a cream to aply, What can we do to find out if by now they have given him the meds he needs. oh yeah, he wrote something about tuberculosis exposure, they were to be all now be checked for that. This is so new to us and to him. any ideas? eti
Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Default how do i wire money to my brother safetly

How Do I Send My Brother In North Kern State Prison Reception Center Wired Money So He Can Receive It For Sure And Right Away. Thanks,
Eti
Old 12-31-2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 AM
baby girl

Default hep c

I have a couple of friends that have it. They both have had it for years. One has had it for 30 years or more, never had protected sex but was only with his wife(s) (two). Neither of them, or their kids have it. He's only been sick twice. He got the shots and takes care of himself. My other friend just found out, but is sure he's had it for years. He's a health nut and takes good care of himself. But it is important to protect yourself. You can go to the CDC website and get a lot of info too. Don't share needles or razors. Check out the CDC it's very helpfull.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:13 AM
boosgirl

Lots of great info. Just learning about hepc myself and want to know as much as poss for my man. Can you recomend any web sites with good info too?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 AM

American Liver Foundation has I great web site..Also web md. I'm going through treatment now and it sucks. Some people do'nt get sick some just alittle and some alot. My Dr. said he gives me a 75% chance of a cure after treatment for a year. I'm taking in a research group only 1200 people can participate in the whole world. Very scarey but I have total faith I will be cured.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Donation Award 

We hope you do great Laurie Ann. Please keep us updated.