Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Finding a job with a felony record

Seems like finding a job with a felony conviction is proving to be harder and harder these days. From what I understand, employers may deny a potential applicant based solely on his or her criminal record.

People with a felony conviction may be turned down for employment in any profession that requires licensing. Some examples of professions requiring licensing are: accountants, ambulance drivers, attorneys, barbers, contractors, nurses, physicians, pharmacists, real estate agents, and teachers. Also, if you are thinking of joining any of the Army branches, you may be carred.

Fortunately, there is some hope! The process of expungement offers some hope in overcoming hiring discrimination. Expungement is the sealing or obliterating of a rehabilitated individual’s criminal record.

Each individual wishing to clear his or her record should contact an attorney specializing in record clearing, as soon as possible.

I hired an attorney to help me crear my record. Before I knew it, my record was gone and was able to obtain the job of my choice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadustin
found a website on here that might help... removeit... maybe this can help you!
Do not be scammed by EAS(Expungement Assistance Services.) They are known on the web as removeit and clearmyrecord. I personally had a problem with my criminal record that should have been a slam dunk for them to correct. They have lost faxes I sent to them, failed to respond to e-mails regarding my case, and even though I have called them repeatedly all they have done is take my money and make up excuses for stalling for over 6 months.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Exclamation Another Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Free
Do not be scammed by EAS(Expungement Assistance Services.) They are known on the web as removeit and clearmyrecord. I personally had a problem with my criminal record that should have been a slam dunk for them to correct. They have lost faxes I sent to them, failed to respond to e-mails regarding my case, and even though I have called them repeatedly all they have done is take my money and make up excuses for stalling for over 6 months.
I'm using recordsremoval.com and I don't know why they are not advertised on PTO.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

I'm guessing that Nuclear Weapons Engineer likely isn't a career choice....
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Cool Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered
I'm guessing that Nuclear Weapons Engineer likely isn't a career choice....
No, but the Army is still recruiting those with no more than one felony conviction.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

Seriously? Damn. Maybe I have a chance.... LOL!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 AM

I agree with PGIR, starting your own business is a wonderful idea. It's what my man plans to do when he gets home. He had his own business before he went in, but due to mismanagement by his mom, it closed less than a year after he was gone. But he was planning to sell it anyway and get out of that business. He really enjoys construction, and we had planned to do the house flipping thing with him doing all the fix ups when he comes home. Right now the housing market stinks, so we're not sure. But he has many skills, so we'll come up with something else. It just takes believing in yourself and putting forth the efforts to be successful. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered
Seriously? Damn. Maybe I have a chance.... LOL!

No lie,G.I.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
nice

Well I was released and foudn out that I was not allowed to take any employment where a gun or firearms weapons etc were involved. I can not work in a bank, or get bonded, I cant run for president or political agenda, I did tattoos in prison and thats what I do now, I operate and run a tattoo studio and am doing ok.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanstarr
Well I was released and foudn out that I was not allowed to take any employment where a gun or firearms weapons etc were involved. I can not work in a bank, or get bonded, I cant run for president or political agenda, I did tattoos in prison and thats what I do now, I operate and run a tattoo studio and am doing ok.
Ever hear of the Federal Bonding Program?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Smile List of corporations that hire felons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalms31chick View Post
Hi, I have a felony and so far I know that in the state of Cali I cant work for Banks, With Kids, In Law Enforcement (HA HA LIKE I WOULD WANT TO) or With Drugs.I have a Pos. for Sale.On the brighter side I am working a Government Job so dont let anyone BS you and tell you that you cant get one.I have a list of Corporations that hire felons if anyone wants it.I would forcus on what you can do rather then what you cant.If you show that your worthy then you can find a good job.Above all else what your employer is really looking for is good help.
Hi! I would love to see the list of corporations that hire felons. My husband is starting to get very discouraged due to not being able to find employment because of his 12yr old felony. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-A
Old 02-22-2018, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,319 Times in 11,839 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope your husband is able to find a good job soon. That post is about 10 years old (you can find when messages were posted at the top right). If he is looking in Arkansas, there may be information posted in the Arkansas prison forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134
Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 AM
Account Closed

It's a website called jobsforfelons?? People who hire ex cons
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

How about GA? Is there already a list in one place of jobs and professional licenses automatically denied to people with records? Particularly a drug record, though not a user.

If it's not already put together then it's too big a research project to ask of anyone.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Thanked 1,524 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
How about GA? Is there already a list in one place of jobs and professional licenses automatically denied to people with records? Particularly a drug record, though not a user.

If it's not already put together then it's too big a research project to ask of anyone.
I found this that might help but it does seem contradictory. http://ccresourcecenter.org/state-re...nd-employment/
On 1 hand it says you can't be denied a professional license if the conviction was for a crime that doesn't directly relate to the license. Then it goes on to say it can be denied for crimes of "moral turpitude".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-10-2018), xolady (03-11-2018)