Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 07-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,009 Times in 1,501 Posts
Default Vent about prison healthcare here!!

Please feel free vent about your LO's healthcare here.
AnarchyHeart (07-02-2016), xolady (07-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,988 Posts

Or lack of????
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Rugbymom (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Yup... I thought this thread might be healthy for some. Bitch, gripe and complain all y'all want...just stay within posting guidelines.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Great idea because everyone who has a loved one in the system eventually have some dealings with lousy health care.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Yep...so I'm just giving it its own place.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Well I wouldn't be venting about anything new.....lo put in hnr after hnr about peeing blood, was ignored, and was now found guilty for refusal of ua cuz apparently blood won't do. He sent me the hnrs in hopes that I could help him with the appeal and I tried but it's still on going. No contact visits until next year.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbymom View Post
Well I wouldn't be venting about anything new.....lo put in hnr after hnr about peeing blood, was ignored, and was now found guilty for refusal of ua cuz apparently blood won't do. He sent me the hnrs in hopes that I could help him with the appeal and I tried but it's still on going. No contact visits until next year.
OMG this is so awful! This is what is supposed to pass for heath care.
Rugbymom (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 PM

My husband got a dr because I called the medical records to much for status reports. Unbelievable crap that goes on in prisons and jails.
Rugbymom (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
My husband got a dr because I called the medical records to much for status reports. Unbelievable crap that goes on in prisons and jails.
I wouldn't believe it if not for this happening right now. I honestly had doubts until I saw the hnrs. To top it off, the nurse admitted guilt, in writing, yet he's still on lop and no contact visits. I'm FUMING!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rugbymom For This Useful Post:
xolady (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 PM

I know most people don't have a clue when it comes to prison "health care". I lived the nightmare for over two years only to find out that basically the prison health care provider killed my husband, treating him for a totally curable cancer was not cost effective. Until 2 months before he got out we weren't even told he had cancer which the prison and hospital knew a year before yet didn't treat him for cancer. I can't even tell you the horror and outrage I feel towards the f-ing prison & everyone who worked in medical at the prison my husband was in. Actually my outrage is towards all the prison workers. All it would have taken was one person to be honest and I would have had him out of there when he could have a a chance of surviving. But no we only found out by outside hospital staff by mistake. I have read up on all the deaths due to medical neglect in prisons in Florida, plus all the murders by guards. Its sickening!! I hope and pray that there is a judgement day for each and everyone who works in a prison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-06-2017), Rugbymom (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know most people don't have a clue when it comes to prison "health care". I lived the nightmare for over two years only to find out that basically the prison health care provider killed my husband, treating him for a totally curable cancer was not cost effective. Until 2 months before he got out we weren't even told he had cancer which the prison and hospital knew a year before yet didn't treat him for cancer. I can't even tell you the horror and outrage I feel towards the f-ing prison & everyone who worked in medical at the prison my husband was in. Actually my outrage is towards all the prison workers. All it would have taken was one person to be honest and I would have had him out of there when he could have a a chance of surviving. But no we only found out by outside hospital staff by mistake. I have read up on all the deaths due to medical neglect in prisons in Florida, plus all the murders by guards. Its sickening!! I hope and pray that there is a judgement day for each and everyone who works in a prison.
I'm so so sorry! I can only imagine how you feel! I read up on the problems in az and how inmates as well as the aclu sued. They admitted that they did wrong but refused to admit that it was systemic. Yeah right. That was 2012. Still going on....
xolady (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 PM

We tried to get the ACLU involved but when your cause is not the flavor of the month for them its impossible to even get a reply. Also the inmate has to be the one applying and its an internet application which I guess could be down loaded but by the time we had any idea of what was really wrong he was almost dead. My Mother in law has all the medical records and its 6 file boxes. I couldn't read them as it honestly was and still is to painful. But we have an attorney who specializes in this type of law and he feels we have a good case because of all the documentation we kept. But that won't bring him back, but maybe if these companies get hit hard enough they won't kill others.
Rugbymom (07-03-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
We tried to get the ACLU involved but when your cause is not the flavor of the month for them its impossible to even get a reply. Also the inmate has to be the one applying and its an internet application which I guess could be down loaded but by the time we had any idea of what was really wrong he was almost dead. My Mother in law has all the medical records and its 6 file boxes. I couldn't read them as it honestly was and still is to painful. But we have an attorney who specializes in this type of law and he feels we have a good case because of all the documentation we kept. But that won't bring him back, but maybe if these companies get hit hard enough they won't kill others.
Well I think that the answer as to why it's so hard to fight this might be even simpler than that. Have you ever noticed how no one fights for the ones who don't contribute to society anymore? Inmates, homeless, disabled, the elderly....nothing happens when they get abused, not on a big scale anyway. But have a khardashian break a nail. Outrage!
xolady (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 PM

Oh believe me I'm only to well aware of this. I'm kind so sick of hearing about how much we are helping refugee's yet our own citizens live in deplorable conditions. The U.S. has turned into a thirdworld country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
IzzyLouWho (07-03-2016), Rugbymom (07-02-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,809 Times in 14,068 Posts

Ive not had any personal experience with prison health care.
But Ive read many things about it on PTO, and in the newspapers.
I think the one thing that just enrages me is when an inmate is terminally ill......and in an outside hospital that they almost never let the family visit. All kinds of effed up wrong.
makes ME sick.

Seems they all think the inmate is faking illness. maybe some are, and that is wrong too. But I hate that they think they are ALL faking.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Rugbymom (07-03-2016), xolady (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Ive not had any personal experience with prison health care.
But Ive read many things about it on PTO, and in the newspapers.
I think the one thing that just enrages me is when an inmate is terminally ill......and in an outside hospital that they almost never let the family visit. All kinds of effed up wrong.
makes ME sick.

Seems they all think the inmate is faking illness. maybe some are, and that is wrong too. But I hate that they think they are ALL faking.
They misdiagnose because they don't ask enough questions and arbitrarily take medicine away that is working, too.

Hubby has nerve damage in his legs from a MVA he was in when he was a kid...they took his medicine for the nerve damage saying he refused it. Be was asleep and is impossible to wake up. But instead of documenting "unable.to wake inmate to give meds" the nurse documented that he refused his meds. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
Rugbymom (07-03-2016), sidewalker (07-04-2016), xolady (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
They misdiagnose because they don't ask enough questions and arbitrarily take medicine away that is working, too.

Hubby has nerve damage in his legs from a MVA he was in when he was a kid...they took his medicine for the nerve damage saying he refused it. Be was asleep and is impossible to wake up. But instead of documenting "unable.to wake inmate to give meds" the nurse documented that he refused his meds. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
That was also part of our problem. He was on meds but then providers changed and meds were stopped. They knew he had medical issues so instead of waiting they uaed him. I don't know whether this is laziness or ignorance. I know they're on a budget but they swore to provide care, they work under licenses, this neglect isn't an option.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:32 AM

Oh and then of course has a domino effect because other people are affected by this as you know, I had no clue what was going on, why no calls, etc. I was going crazy trying to figure this out until I finally got the letters explaining everything....
Old 07-03-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Oh and then of course has a domino effect because other people are affected by this as you know, I had no clue what was going on, why no calls, etc. I was going crazy trying to figure this out until I finally got the letters explaining everything....
Oh I know. Mighty Mouse just called and told.me that they gave him back his neuro meds.
Rugbymom (07-03-2016), xolady (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
Oh I know. Mighty Mouse just called and told.me that they gave him back his neuro meds.
Mighty mouse is the best nickname ever!!!!!
IzzyLouWho (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Mighty mouse is the best nickname ever!!!!!
That's my nickname for him. He has finally come.to accept it after almost two years.
Rugbymom (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:56 PM

When I was at Valley State for Women there was a notice informing us that there were high levels of arsenic in the water. The plan of correction, which was 2 years old, was to see how much it would cost to fix it. After they turned it into a men's prison my husband spent 3 years there drinking the water. I was only there for 3 months. What will be the long term effects of drinking arsenic? They make you sick and then don't help you.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustingGOD001 View Post
What will be the long term effects of drinking arsenic? They make you sick and then don't help you.
Here is a link to the WHO fact sheet on arsenic. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs372/en/
1ampatsy (11-26-2017), trustingGOD001 (07-03-2016), xolady (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00 PM

Arsenic is RAT poison. Lots of horrible things including DEATH. Its a poison.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 PM

Angry What health care?

My bf is in Faribault, MN and he has not received any mental health care. They haven't got the heat on so he is always freezing. And even worse they are serving expired meat.