Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Coming home after prison: do they really change?

Hello I'm new to this site i have been dealing with this prison stuff for a while i have a question has any of your loved ones say they have changed cause there in there and then come home and do the same thing at times I think it's a revolving issue
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
Juleslove (01-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermarshall11 View Post
Hello I'm new to this site i have been dealing with this prison stuff for a while i have a question has any of your loved ones say they have changed cause there in there and then come home and do the same thing at times I think it's a revolving issue
Welcome to PTO. I want to start by saying this is just my opinion, and I this is my first time being with someone in prison. However, this is not his first time in.

I do believe that they feel they have changed, and some really do. But, if there are underlying issues (for example drugs) that are not dealt with then they are more likely to return to the old ways. Unfortunately, we all know that usually means returning to prison.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:49 PM

Yes it sure does and it is very sad he has a bad addiction he's back in SMH he got out In Dec 3 this year violated parole and back again it's very sad it seems the drug is more important
WeepingWillow (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:41 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,476 Times in 16,818 Posts

Quote:
Yes it sure does and it is very sad he has a bad addiction he's back in SMH he got out In Dec 3 this year violated parole and back again it's very sad it seems the drug is more important

Amber, I'm so sorry that you're stuck on that loving-an-addict roller coaster. I've been there and it isn't fun. If you're not going to walk away at least get the tools you need to be mentally & spiritually healthy = Go to Ala-non meetings, and go as often as you can.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
e-Tex (01-19-2020), Ms Sunny (01-18-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 3,912 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:

Iím so sorry. Thatís heartbreaking to here.
The when theyíre using, their brain is hijacked into truly and honestly believing the drug IS more important than anything. Itís a tough road to walk.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Thank you ladies I appreciate it very much do they love the drug more I sometimes wonder how it would be if he didn't have an addiction he probably never would of went to jail to begin with I will definitely look into ala non where I live at
patchouli (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 12:38 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

It isn't that an addict "loves" the drugs more than anything or anyone else. Love has nothing to do with it. Addiction manifests itself physically and/or mentally. The addict either needs the fix to keep from being physically ill and/or believes they need it to function / to not be ill (IMHO).

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Born (01-19-2020), Sorrownpain (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:02 PM

I wonder how they function when they are thrown in jail how do they function cause they don't have there hit do they not get cravings cause there in there but the drug is number one my sister is addicted to heroin she wants nothing to do with my family but she has never been in jail she works so does her husband
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
Ladyj8879 (01-20-2020), Ms Sunny (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:28 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Detox from narcotics can deadly....and hell yeah the addict craves that fix no matter where they're at.

Detox from meth is nothing more than sleeping, staying hydrated (IMHO) It is not physically addictive, but may be mentally addictive for those with predispositions to addiction. Again, that is my opinion. I'm sure there are others with vastly different opinions.

Maybe your heroin addicted sister stays away from family because 1) she's already stolen everything she can get her hands on from them & they're really pissed (rightly so), or 2) she's aware of the fact that she would steal everything she could get her hands on & doesn't want to do that to her family.

These opinions are based on my daughter's 10 year addiction to pain pills / heroin.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 AM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 461 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how they function when they are thrown in jail how do they function cause they don't have there hit do they not get cravings cause there in there but the drug is number one my sister is addicted to heroin she wants nothing to do with my family but she has never been in jail she works so does her husband
Amber, no jail is drug free. There is always a supply.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Drugs are in jail too. You know this. He did K2 inside by your own admission.

If they choose not, they will go through awful withdrawals and detox their bodies.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 AM

Well I'm thinking if you really want to quit you will go through withdrawals or your going to continue to use I no it's easier said then done
Old 01-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 461 Posts

Quote:
Well I'm thinking if you really want to quit you will go through withdrawals or your going to continue to use I no it's easier said then done

Thereís the rub, HE has to be want to. His words and his actions are 2 very different things. It is his choice, and he is choosing to use.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Yup and he will continue to keep going to prison he must like it me personally Im tired of the prison stuff it's draining especially when they don't appreciate it at all and they expect it maybe I should cut everything off see how he makes out mad because I can't afford the 7 dollor phone calls for 15 mins when you call back to back then get mad that the phone is off
Ms Sunny (01-20-2020)