Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender For those whose loved one is serving 10+ years.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Social Security benefits if incarcerated over 10 years?

Someone told me that if a person has been in prison for over 10 years they could get social security benefits. They said because it is less likely for the ex-convict to be able to acclimate and sustain themselves.

I looked online but couldn't find any information? Anyone know if this is true?

It's for one of my PenPal. He will be released in a year and has been away for over 10.

Thanks

Hubby's home 12/23/2013.
ďI believe that everything happens for a reason. ...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.Ē ― Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hislilpumpkin View Post
Someone told me that if a person has been in prison for over 10 years they could get social security benefits. They said because it is less likely for the ex-convict to be able to acclimate and sustain themselves.

I looked online but couldn't find any information? Anyone know if this is true?

It's for one of my PenPal. He will be released in a year and has been away for over 10.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that this is not an automatic decision and he would be required to apply and go through the same system that everyone else does. My brother-in-law spent more than ten years in state prison, was out approximately a year and then spent four more years behind bars. He was officially diagnosed with a mental illness (not sure the official diagnosis as there are a few within the family). He was released the second time in June of this year. He applied for SSI and last I heard had already received the customary first denial letter. It doesn't mean he won't get it, it just means that he has to go through the process just as everyone else does which is long and tedious. It will likely be up to his PO and the judge involved if they will accept this as something he can/should try or if he will be required to have employment in order to comply with his restrictions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:54 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,447 Times in 7,506 Posts

having Been in prison is not a disability within the meaning of the SS disability code. There is no automatic qualification, and he cannot claim being a former prisoner, even a long term prisoner, to get social security.

To get any SSDI benefits, he has to have an actual disability and that disability must meet the qualifications set out by Social Security. If he has a disability that substantially interferes with his ability to work and meets the other qualifications for Social Security Disability Insurance coverage, then he’s gotta apply the same way all other disabled adults apply, with the associated proofs.

There is no special status applied to getting out of prison - no real programming, insurance, or help beyond that which is offered to all other citizens. Further, he may be ineligible because of the nature of his conviction or the conviction itself to get Section 8 housing, federal education grants and loans, and the like. It should also be noted that if he lives with somebody who has Section 8 housing, that person can lose that housing and eligibility for Section 8 housing in the future.

In states that have accepted and implemented the Medicare expansion, he will be eligible for health insurance immediately, just like everybody else. If not, he’ll be dependent on getting a job with decent insurance benefits, or being added to a policy holder eligible to add him to the plan.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-09-2018), fbopnomore (11-05-2018), LifeTraveler (11-05-2018), sidewalker (11-06-2018), Taliba00 (11-06-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Agree with all that has been said -- there are no special SSA welfare assistance programs for felons due to the length of their incarceration, but they may be eligible on the basis of a medically established disability, just like any other citizen. It is worth noting that, if disabled and indigent, without enough work credits with the SSA (basically, if they haven't put in enough years working), they will not be eligible for SSDI but can apply for SSI, which is a separate program like SSDI but for indigent/very poor disabled adults.

Another resource that many people are not aware of that is not disability-based is General Assistance. That is for extremely poor, indigent, single adults. It is admisnistered differently in different states and counties; where I live, GA is about $300 a month. To qualify, though, you really have to have no means, no job, no support and usually, no housing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-07-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:27 PM

But prison has traumatized so many. It is too hard for them to get jobs so they should get ss I while in prison so they have next egg when they get out.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanked 5,949 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaRocks View Post
But prison has traumatized so many. It is too hard for them to get jobs so they should get ss I while in prison so they have next egg when they get out.
Sorry honey if they didn't commit crimes they could be out working and paying into Social Security. I am so frightened that people actually think this way!!!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Sorry honey if they didn't commit crimes they could be out working and paying into Social Security. I am so frightened that people actually think this way!!!
I'm pretty sure she doesn't or was messing with ppl. Early posts seem reasonable but last night there were 4 or 5 that were "crazy" and some made no sense at all
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I'm pretty sure she doesn't or was messing with ppl. Early posts seem reasonable but last night there were 4 or 5 that were "crazy" and some made no sense at all
I didn't post what I really wanted to say because she sounds a little off in her post. Like I said and I really mean it prison is not a vacation and Social Security is earned and should not be an entitlement. Prison should not be where your saving for retirement!!! Hope she gets back on track with her thinking!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:55 PM
attorney

Quote:
I didn't post what I really wanted to say because she sounds a little off in her post. Like I said and I really mean it prison is not a vacation and Social Security is earned and should not be an entitlement. Prison should not be where your saving for retirement!!! Hope she gets back on track with her thinking!!!
SS is not just earned from puttin in decades of work and paying into the system. Some people qualify for SSDI at birth and stay there for the duration of their lives. It is what we do as a humane society for those who are disabled and cannot work, whether that disability occurs 1 day before retirement or day 1 of life. Nobody wants cripples begging on the street corner or worse, bodies piling up. Further, if SSDI requirements didnít require a home address, a fair percentage of the mentally ill could receive benefits and services without having to go to prison first.

Look, the idea that entitlements are bad does a disservice to a society that actually wants to ensure that even the least of its citizens have the ability to experience as much life as possible. We are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, at a minimum. SSDI is just one expression of this policy.

But, incarceration isnít a disability within the meaning of social security disability insurance policies. A person would need to have an actual disability within the meaning of statute and policy to be eligible for SSDI.

And note, SSI is different from SSDI - one is so people can retire, the other is for the disabled who cannot work due to their disability.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM

SSDI is not SSI to get SSDI one must have worked to get it. I do know the difference SSI is for people who haven't enough work credits in to get SSDI. Regardless of the circumstances if your born disabled or you become disabled you still are required to have a legitimate disability. Being in prison does not q
ualify as a disability. You only have to have a mailing address not a home address!!!
SSDI means Social Security Disability Insurance paid into by worker!
SSI means Supplemental Security Income is a Federal Welfare program!!
Two different programs funding is different and require different qualifications, except the requirements of being considered disabled are the same for both different programs.
I just got this information from Social Security Administration.

Last edited by xolady; 11-09-2018 at 02:11 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (11-10-2018), Taliba00 (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
SS is not just earned from puttin in decades of work and paying into the system. Some people qualify for SSDI at birth and stay there for the duration of their lives. It is what we do as a humane society for those who are disabled and cannot work, whether that disability occurs 1 day before retirement or day 1 of life. Nobody wants cripples begging on the street corner or worse, bodies piling up. Further, if SSDI requirements didnít require a home address, a fair percentage of the mentally ill could receive benefits and services without having to go to prison first.

Look, the idea that entitlements are bad does a disservice to a society that actually wants to ensure that even the least of its citizens have the ability to experience as much life as possible. We are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, at a minimum. SSDI is just one expression of this policy.

But, incarceration isnít a disability within the meaning of social security disability insurance policies. A person would need to have an actual disability within the meaning of statute and policy to be eligible for SSDI.

And note, SSI is different from SSDI - one is so people can retire, the other is for the disabled who cannot work due to their disability.
No one is getting SSDI for being born disabled this information is wrong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (11-09-2018), Sarianna (11-10-2018), Taliba00 (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:19 PM

A disabled child can receive SSI, not SSDI. Regardless once incarcerated for 30 days in an institution or facility SS is stopped until hospitalization or incarceration ends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Taliba00 (11-10-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 PM
attorney

Quote:
A disabled child can receive SSI, not SSDI. Regardless once incarcerated for 30 days in an institution or facility SS is stopped until hospitalization or incarceration ends.
You need to stop it - to alert Social Security you are in prison/jail and have your checks stopped. If you donít, they will delay when they start you back up by at least the amount of time you were incarcerated and receiving checks. And even then, you may be penalized and have to re-establish your need for compensation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-09-2018), Sarianna (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
You need to stop it - to alert Social Security you are in prison/jail and have your checks stopped. If you donít, they will delay when they start you back up by at least the amount of time you were incarcerated and receiving checks. And even then, you may be penalized and have to re-establish your need for compensation.
Bad info, SS should be stopped or you have to pay it back. It's also fraud to collect while incarcerated.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
True and sometimes people still get it and then they have to pay it back it's also FRAUD to collect while incarcerated for more then 30 days.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
True and sometimes people still get it and then they have to pay it back it's also FRAUD to collect while incarcerated for more then 30 days.
My husband met with the PSR writer today and he had to sign something for SS I assume so they are on alert about his SSDI