Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

Default Tablets for the inmates with email capabilities coming to Florida prisons?

My boyfriend told me that he saw a memo posted in the admin building at his prison that FL DOC would soon be getting tablets. He said he saw something about email capabilities. Does anyone know anything about this? & if so do you know what exactly the tablet offers and if it's a pay per email thing? I did a little research on the Jpay website but just want to know as much as possible!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjd7190 View Post
My boyfriend told me that he saw a memo posted in the admin building at his prison that FL DOC would soon be getting tablets. He said he saw something about email capabilities. Does anyone know anything about this? & if so do you know what exactly the tablet offers and if it's a pay per email thing? I did a little research on the Jpay website but just want to know as much as possible!
Sounds to me like this is just a slightly larger version of the MP3 player, but with the email capability built in. It still requires the kiosk to do anything, including send and receive emails (which are only transmitted or received when the thing is plugged into the kiosk)...and therein lies the problem. A large portion of the DOC facilities never have gotten the kiosks necessary for the MP3 players. Which means that if you spend a fortune to buy a device at a camp that does have a kiosk, and then are moved to a camp that doesn't have a kiosk, the device loses some or most of its usefulness. Some camps without kiosks will let inmates keep the players in their possession because there is a way to use the player without the kiosk. Other camps confiscate the player and force inmates to register it into their property. So unless the introduction of tablets comes with a push to get the kiosks installed everywhere...

The email is a "pay to play" proposition. There is a charge for sending and receiving email, and they advertise that it is "often" (note not always) cheaper than using a stamp, which isn't encouraging about its affordability considering the cost of a stamp these days. You'd have to put money on his jpay credit account, separate from canteen money, that can only be used to buy stuff through the kiosk system (emails and music).

Supposedly it is faster than traditional mail (but it is still monitored - there is no way around that) and the system has the ability to allow the sending of photos and short (30 second) videos - if DOC allows that capability.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
ScottysGirl2023 (04-19-2014), vjd7190 (04-20-2014), wadesprincess (10-08-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,413 Posts

Federal is 5 cent a minute to check or send email. I hope FlDOC get the kiosks as a friend is in FCI Pheonix and this email thing is wonderful!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE