Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Reception & Guidance Centers and SAI Boot Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Reception & Guidance Centers and SAI Boot Camp Michigan Prison Intake and Boot Camp Information forum.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Default About to Leave for SAI - Need Support

My man just got news that he is being transferred to SAI boot camp in Chelsea, MI. I've found out a lot of info about what he is going to face, but he doesn't want me to tell him. Wants to find out on his own. I feel the need to tell him, but I'm holding back to respect him. How hard is this going to be on him? I heard I can write him everyday, but he can only keep 10 letters? True or No? I could really use some support and answers right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 03:38 AM

Is what you are learning 100% fact or hearsay?
He said he wants to find out on his own so I think you should respect that. He is already dealing with enough stress right now, why add anymore on? I know you want to help make this as pain free as possible for him.

I don't know anything about SAI but you did come to the right place for support. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board I am continually amazed.

Good luck to both of you
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Donation Award 

My daughter has been home from the women's SAI bootcamp for 10 days. One of her codefendents will graduate from the men's bootcamp in 12 days. The information you got about letters is correct. You can write daily but your loved one is only allowed to keep 10 letters at a time. They can send letters they have already read home or destroy them. The literature says they can only write 1 letter in the first 30 days but my daughter was able to write more frequently and I have gotten several letters from her friend who will graduate from Chelsea soon. Letters may not have inserts ( no comics, crossword puzzles, magazine articles etc). Letters are READ, not skimmed so consider carefully what you are saying. I made a smart remark in one letter that caused my daughter some minor grief.
Trainees are allowed only 3 pictures. They must be of family only.
It certainly was a challenging program but my daughter also felt most of the staff truly wanted to help the trainees gain self control and self confidence. She enjoyed the physical challenges and got in great shape, but was very frustrated in the beginning with the frequent clothes folding, bed making etc.
I will ask her to post and give you some more info.
As a parent, I felt SAI was a great opportunity. I was grateful that she could come home to us sooner by taking on the challenge.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 PM

My son is waiting for approval to go into this program. I'm nervous about what he will encounter as well. Trying not to stress about it as it sure won't change anything. Hoping that the structure will benefit him for further life choices.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Missing Nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingNico View Post
My man just got news that he is being transferred to SAI boot camp in Chelsea, MI. I've found out a lot of info about what he is going to face, but he doesn't want me to tell him. Wants to find out on his own. I feel the need to tell him, but I'm holding back to respect him. How hard is this going to be on him? I heard I can write him everyday, but he can only keep 10 letters? True or No? I could really use some support and answers right now.
I don't know the circumstances but if he is asking you not to tell him it is probably best not to. For one thing his experience might be completely different than someone else.
My son was there for 90 days in 2013. He made sure to follow the rules and do what he was told - he only had one minor violation the whole time he was there. It's tough but if they see someone doing what they are told - that makes a huge difference. It's also important that he take things seriously - they can tell when guys are just playing along and not trying to change.
I believe the 10 letter thing is correct. My son would send letters home so that he could keep the new ones.
The main thing - nothing seemed to keep him from getting into trouble - since he finished boot camp - it's been almost 2 years trouble free!

Hang in there!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Default To SMgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMgeo View Post
My son is waiting for approval to go into this program. I'm nervous about what he will encounter as well. Trying not to stress about it as it sure won't change anything. Hoping that the structure will benefit him for further life choices.
My son went to SAI for 90 days in 2013 - I don't know if it was the program or just that he would realized how close he came to going to prison, but he has not been the same since he came back - that was October 2013.
He is in college, he has stayed out of trouble, he is respectful and I feel like I have my son back.
It was hard not being able to see him for 90 days but we probably needed to have a break from him and I'm actually glad that they don't allow (in hindsight).

I'm not on this site much - thankfully we are in a different place - but I felt like I needed to log in today. I hope your son gets a chance to go to SAI - the alternatives are much worse - it might just be what he needs.

God Bless,
(no longer)SadMom2CJ
The Following User Says Thank You to SadMom2CJ For This Useful Post:
SMgeo (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadMom2CJ View Post
My son went to SAI for 90 days in 2013 - I don't know if it was the program or just that he would realized how close he came to going to prison, but he has not been the same since he came back - that was October 2013.
He is in college, he has stayed out of trouble, he is respectful and I feel like I have my son back.
It was hard not being able to see him for 90 days but we probably needed to have a break from him and I'm actually glad that they don't allow (in hindsight).

I'm not on this site much - thankfully we are in a different place - but I felt like I needed to log in today. I hope your son gets a chance to go to SAI - the alternatives are much worse - it might just be what he needs.

God Bless,
(no longer)SadMom2CJ
Very nice to hear that your son is doing so well. Congratulations to him - that's huge.

I'm ok with not seeing him for awhile. It's sad but at least I know he's got a place to sleep and food to eat. He has burned so many bridges. Praying that this will be the wake up call that he needs.

Thank you for your response. May God bless you and your as well.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:28 PM

Smile

That would be great if she could give me any info, especially about the men's side. He left on June 4th and I've wrote him everyday like he asked me to, but still have heard nothing from him. Makes me worried and sad. Please post as soon as you can any information that you have. I appreciate it very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi56 View Post
My daughter has been home from the women's SAI bootcamp for 10 days. One of her codefendents will graduate from the men's bootcamp in 12 days. The information you got about letters is correct. You can write daily but your loved one is only allowed to keep 10 letters at a time. They can send letters they have already read home or destroy them. The literature says they can only write 1 letter in the first 30 days but my daughter was able to write more frequently and I have gotten several letters from her friend who will graduate from Chelsea soon. Letters may not have inserts ( no comics, crossword puzzles, magazine articles etc). Letters are READ, not skimmed so consider carefully what you are saying. I made a smart remark in one letter that caused my daughter some minor grief.
Trainees are allowed only 3 pictures. They must be of family only.
It certainly was a challenging program but my daughter also felt most of the staff truly wanted to help the trainees gain self control and self confidence. She enjoyed the physical challenges and got in great shape, but was very frustrated in the beginning with the frequent clothes folding, bed making etc.
I will ask her to post and give you some more info.
As a parent, I felt SAI was a great opportunity. I was grateful that she could come home to us sooner by taking on the challenge.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 PM

Default Waiting ?

are you waiting for approval from the prison or the judge ? I am confused how this works or when my son will go ? Rgc said they would ask the judge and he would say. Yes, no or not now. Last week the judge spoke with us and he said "yes" and signed the paper. So when will he leave ? He arrived at quarentine april 15 and was sent to Parnell may 6, 2016. So he has been there less then a month.