Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Default Anyone else heard about this? (Huron Valley Women's)

I know a lot of the very regular posters on here are women looking out for their men, there's not many on here who have anything to do with female prisoners. But there are some!

Anyhows, the person I write to is, from early July, able to pick her cell-mate.

It's a proposal from the Warden of Huron Valley, that people will get through their time better if they're able to choose who they bunk-up with. It has to be a mutual decision by both parties who agree to share a cell, it has to be a "signed contract". The contract also says they'll not get ticketed in the time the contract runs.. 12 months. If they do get ticketed.. the contract could be terminated.

I don't know if this is regular practice in most (male) prisons.. or if it is a new initiative by Warden Warren. If it is a new initiative.. then it is fantastic. The woman I write to is over the moon at being able to be a bunkie with her friend. A woman she likes instead of doing her time with a drama-queen or mean-bastard who steals from her... it makes her time inside much easier.

Apparently this idea is in reaction to the high suicide and attempted suicide rate in Huron Valley. If it even saves one life I think it is a huge step in the right direction.

So, ladies.. have you heard of this in the male prisons? is it new? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM

This is brand new and no I haven't heard of any such attempt in the men's prisons.

Although I believe it is unofficial the person making the room assignments in my son's housing unit is taking personalities into account. My son is very confident and outgoing. Most of his cellmates have been laid back guys who had a hard time defending themselves from the store bag thieves. When I asked him about it he said the officers expect him to protect his bunkie and that he's OK with it. Better a cellmate who got robbed than a thief.