Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Question Sending books

My man is always reading, and I know his mom sends him books but I'd like to also send him a few books. I am just not sure how to do this, can I just order them through Amazon and send it out? I know that the book has to be shipped by a publisher or something, can someone explain what I have to do to send him something to read?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM

you just order them through amazon and ship to his same address that you send his letters too. thats it.i think they have to be new books, but i'm not sure about that. I've always sent new ones.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM

I send them to my man through Barnes and Noble. When you create your account, you just put his address as you would write it on his mail (dont forget his inmate number), and they ship it straight there.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks! I just called over and they said Amazon.com is fine.... now I just need some book suggestions! I am a criminal justice student so most of the books I read are concerning the system and stuff, I'm just not sure if he would want to read about it. Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TULIPS42
I'm just not sure if he would want to read about it.
maybe you should ask him to send you a letter with topics he might be interested in reading. you could also try printing up the summaries of a few books you think he might like and have him pick what he wants.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans85
maybe you should ask him to send you a letter with topics he might be interested in reading. you could also try printing up the summaries of a few books you think he might like and have him pick what he wants.

thanks that is a great idea. I read a book in a criminology course called Makes Me Wanna Holla by Nathan McCall. I am thinking about sending him that one.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM

I ask my son what type of books, subjects that interest him, He let me know in his letters.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:46 PM

The book MAKES ME WANNA HOLLA by Nathan McCall is an execellant choice. I send that book to my son he liked it. Nathan McCall was in prison himself, he came from the streets & did prison time, he writes on his experiences during those times. Now he is a journalist.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 PM

You can order books from any web site - so you might want to do a bit of comparison shopping. One cheaper source is Edward Hamilton Bookseller. They'll even send you a monthly catalog and you can then pick out what you want. Even better, go to their web site and then order a catalog to be send directly to your inmate and then he can tell you what he wants!
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamiltonbook.storefront
Old 08-14-2006, 10:33 AM

I send mine through Barnes&Noble. I buy a gift card and use it online. He usually gets them in about 3 days. I recently sent him a couple of erotic readers, he liked one of them, one was for women and he got teased about it. Then I sent him this book called the Body Sculpting Bible for Men, he's a workoutaholic and loved this book. So until you get some ideas, maybe a couple or even just one erotic reader would be nice to get especially from you.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

I use Amazon, Borders (which is also Amazon), Barnes and Noble and Powell's. Edward R. Hamilton has great prices but they don't always have the books my guy is looking for.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Closed

You can send used books as long as they come from a book store (at least for the prisons I know of in PA)
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM

ask him if he has ever heard of the book "Swan Song" i havent YET gotten started on it, but everyone that has read it has said it is Great. it's by Robert McCammon

Michele~from Bama~
Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Tulip, a quick reminder to read description carefully to be sure it is a PAPERBACK, and that it does not come with any extras like CDs etc.

B&N and Amazon have been great. He gets them in days. B&N online also has a great clearance section so you can get some really good deals.

Have fun shopping! One book I got that he loooooved was Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Just have to wait for payday and I'll be sending some books!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

hi

Make sure that you can send through usps or ups. In florida you can not send from ups. I would not want it to go back on you.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Larry's Girl

Doc's Sis, thanks for that website. I just sent a catalog to my bf. What a great idea.

LARRY CAME HOME DECEMBER 28,2007
RFSP,NJ
Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM

I sent Chicken soup for the Prisoners Soul which he LOVED.

I am always looking for new stuff to send and I use Barnes and Noble they deliver right to his prison in like 2-3 days.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Donation Award 

I love Amozon becuase if you know what kind of books he likes to read it will give you other Ideas of books he might like I also love the one click ship it is very easy to just send him books... I like to suprize him when I send out books

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 PM
jacki_maggi

First step would be to ask him what he is interested in. My son is into sports, so I bought him a subscription to USA Sports weekly, plus our local newspaper subscription, and the USA Today newspaper. His favorite team is the Boston Redsox, so I have sent him books about them...............

MOMS & DADS OF INMATES CLUB # 28

Old 08-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the Hamilton Books website, I ordered a catalogue today.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Just make sure you don't sent it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble as a gift. They won't show the price paid on the receipt and then will not give it to your loved one. The price paid must be on the receipt so send it just normally. I learned the hard way.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Still Totally in Love
Donation Award 

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidant
Just make sure you don't sent it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble as a gift. They won't show the price paid on the receipt and then will not give it to your loved one. The price paid must be on the receipt so send it just normally. I learned the hard way.
Has this been an issue for others? I have ALWAYS sent as gifts from BN or Amazon with gift card..wrapping paper is not allowed though.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
jacki_maggi

when my son was in Idaho, no receipt was necesary, so I sent books from everywhere, even our local used bookstore, but now that he is in Texas, I do not know what the rules are..........

MOMS & DADS OF INMATES CLUB # 28

Old 09-02-2006, 10:30 AM

"ask him what he's interested in"..
*laughing!* I asked my guy and he said "whatever you think is good". He wasn't a big reader before he went in though so I don't think he really knows what is out there. I sent him 4 books, a science fiction, a horror, a classic, and the first harry potter. : )
This time he's been a bit more helpful in deciding what he wants so I'm sending him a book about meditation, a dictionary, and another horror book. I'm also going to send him a book on Origami, he doesn't know about that one but he's very clever with his hands and I think he might really enjoy origami. And origami creations might be useful for trades too.