Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Satisfied

Default Getting Financial Aid for College...

I know most of us can't afford to just pay for school out of pocket, but we still want to go to school.

The key to financial aid is completing the FAFSA form, www.fafsa.com.

Anyone have any tips? Things you've learned?

I know that regardless of income, marriage status, credit history, EVERYONE who is pursuing higher education is eligible for Sallie Mae education loans. For four years of undergrad, at least. The rates are reasonable and can be deferred until you are no longer a student or you are less than part time.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

I am still paying my student loans off and I graduated from college 14 years ago.. lol..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM

Which Sallie Mae loan? I wasn't approved for one of them without a cosigner. I need help!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,595 Times in 2,182 Posts

I have always received aid from school.. never needed a grant.. i dont think i am doing anything special..
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 PM

I have recieved grants in the past but now I have to rely on loans which I can't get approved for. They want a co- borrrower, which I don't have. Sallie Mae isn't being very generious with me like everyone says they are. I don't have any outstanding debt. Matter of fact I paid all my bills off except my car loan. So I don't know what the deal is. I'm stressin it though.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,595 Times in 2,182 Posts

ok i have a question why arent you able to get aid from school?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 AM

What do you mean from school? Like from the school it's self or Stafford? I get the $2625 (or something like that) from Stafford, which I believe will increase a little next year but that is all. COA is $12,075/semester.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 AM

Oh yea, I am supposed to fill out a financial aid packet ( I don't know what that is yet) but I can't do that until after they recieve my transcripts. The problem is that the Community College messed up one my transcripts and it wont be submited to the University until after the semester starts. Do you know what this financial aid packet is?

Old 12-22-2006, 08:48 AM

When I first got out of prison, I applied through the link you gave on the original post....they gave me some money, but not a lot. I did have people sponsor me to go to school...now, I make WAY too much money to get a Pell Grant, but I go other routes and believe me, it has been succesful....I have only apllied once for a Sallie Mae loan and they gave it to me, but I didn't really need it, but I did use it on some books and the rest for myself...but I found out that there is lenty of money out there for students through grant and scholarship programs. I don't go to a community college so it may be different, but at George Mason there are lists of grants and scholarships students can apply for, and believe me, many of them are unclaimed!!! I applied for one last semester just to see if I would get it and I received $5,000 for some Virginia Citizen/Student Award...lol...don't mean to laugh, but I served 12 years in prison and if they knew that I wonder what they would think then?

I apply every year for money that is unclaimed and it comes through for me...believe it or not, I also wrote to corporations or looked on-line for places that sponsor or endorse students...it has paid off some, but hey, some money is better than no money...

I do have my college paid for so a lot of the money goes in my pocket or pays some expenses, but look around, and take the time to see what is out there...don't give up, and you never know....

Brian
Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 AM

The finacial aid packet I believe is to see if you qualify for help....
Old 12-25-2006, 10:51 PM

George Mason? Is that your school? I have been writing and applying for scholarships but that money (if) it comes through wont help me until the fall. I need it now. Unclaimed Money? Where could I look for it at? Thanks for all your help Brian.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:15 PM

I take on line courses at a two year community college, have been for 1 1/2 now. I got a grant and two student loans that are guaranteed through the Federal Government. One student loan in a subsidized student loan and the other is a unsubsidized student loan and they are both through Sallie Mae. I just recently consolidated all of my student loans so that I could get a better interest rate, which I did get. Your school financial aid office can help you get the financial aid. There is all kinds of scholorships out there, especially for single parents, or for domestic and sexual abuse survivors. The school financial aid office or the advisors office have access and know what is out there for you to apply for. There are millions and millions of dollars in fiancial aid out there. I and going to school on grants and student loans this semister and will be applying for some scholarships as well.