Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Fever Blisters? Sun Poisoning?

My oldest son woke up this morning,his entire upper lip is swollen with fever blisters. When I was younger I had the same thing after going to the beach and getting way to much soon--however, he got really pink but nothing serious.

I called the pediatrician and talked to the nurse that I dont like ! She says there is nothing to do except keep them moist and put neopsoirin on them.

Do you all know anything better--to help speed the process up?

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Closed

yes, i get them once a year and i always use abreva at first to dry them (you can get this at the grocery store) and then when they start to dry up...use carmex, i SWEAR by it, it works wonders. also before he goes to bed, put hydrogen peroxide on...well really 3 times a day if you can. and what ever he does, DO NOT touch them or pop them....they will spread. sorry he has this,....it sucks so bad poor guy!!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks Ash!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:25 AM
hiswoman

I have a niece who gets them once a year also we put camphophenique or something like that on there to dry them out. Hope your baby feels better.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 AM

I put some blistex on them for now. I figured I would rotate blistex and neosporin but then Ash mentioned peroxide. So I suppose I will do all three today. I was hoping the doctor would call something in---but she is out of town and has a NP there and looks like the nurse is screening all of the calls and advising over the counter meds.

I just feel bad for him cause I know it hurts.

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 1dayatatime; 04-07-2005 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 AM

My grandmother used to say mix buttermilk and baking soda to make a paste and put on the fever blisters to help dry them out.

Anyone heard this?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Closed

mmm...never heard of that, BUT...i got some perspriction meds once when they were realy bad from my dentist. since it is the mouth area and all, they normally can write you a script for it. i would try that. i wonder why this nurse is being such a B? and yes, peroxide...remember you want to keep them clean and open to air. and no itching! i hope he gets better One.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Account Closed

Neosporin? Just my opinion, but, stay away from that stuff--it's causing a lot of people to get allergic reactions. I was talking to a dermatologist about it last week, and she has seen more & more reactions to it. I used to work for a pediatrician, and we advised against it, too. Plus, it's an antibiotic, so it won't do much anyway.

Since fever blisters (herpes) is caused by a virus, there really is not much to do. Zovirax works for some people, but it's by prescription only. I know quite a few people who got relief with Abreva, so it's worth trying. But, make sure your son uses a lip balm with sunscreen because the UV rays act as an irritant, which causes the breakouts.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:21 PM

Actually the NP told us to use the neosporin I suppose to prevent infection on the skin. I dont know. He is on Amoxicillin as of today because when I took him in they said he also has strep. Also she prescribed Orapred (oral steroids).

I really hope he is better by Sunday night.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Account Closed

A lot of docs are recommending Bacitracin instead of the Neosporin. I guess the neomycin is causing problems.

Poor kid...why the steroids?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:50 PM

His lip is HUGE and covered with fever blisters top and some of the bottom. He is pitiful---school returns on Monday so I know he is worried about that.

ONE

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Account Closed

Hmmm....did the NP think it was impetigo? Herpes and impetigo are often misdiagnosed for one another. Impetigo, though, will get worse without antibiotics. My doc thought I had shingles on my face, when in fact it was impetigo. Ohh, it was gross. I would rather have shingles.
Steroids can actually make herpes lesions worse, so I hope the NP is correct. But, given the fact that you carry HSV (parents commonly transfer the virus to their kids), and your son was out in the sun...keep an eye on him, and go with your gut-feeling.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Hum, now you got me wondering. No its not impetigo. This morning he woke up with fever blisters and lots of swelling. Our regular doc want be back until Monday. I just covered his lips and surrounding area with Herpecin and he had his steroid dose earlier today. I just wish I could fix it! You know?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Still friends ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayatatime
Hum, now you got me wondering. No its not impetigo. This morning he woke up with fever blisters and lots of swelling. Our regular doc want be back until Monday. I just covered his lips and surrounding area with Herpecin and he had his steroid dose earlier today. I just wish I could fix it! You know?
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do once the outbreak occurs except to try to make him as comfortable as possible. I broke out w/fever blisters for the first time in the 3rd grade all over my mouth and I looked scary! The pediatrician advised my mom to keep me home from school until it cleared up ... not so much b/c I was contagious but b/c kids can be so cruel when it comes to stuff like this.

Ever since then I do get periodic outbreaks of fever blisters ... I've learned to try and minimize the triggers that I know will set off an outbreak and they occur less as I get older. For me, stress tends to bring it on, especially around the time of my period or if I'm fighting a cold or something like that. I take lysine (vitamins) when I feel one coming on ... I've noticed that this helps to minimize the duration of the outbreak. Also, it helps to use the abreva as soon as you feel the tingling/itching. I've also used aloe from the actual plant to help dry up the fever blisters. Yes, I've been dealing with them for a long time b/c unfortunately it's a lifelong problem that I've learned to live with.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Meow!

I just wanted to add about the neosporin (or any generic triple antibiotic) I used it a few months ago on a sore under my eye and when I woke up the next morning that whole side of my face was swollen - my eye was even swollen almost shut. It was horrible! Plus it was super red - AND I had a visit planned the next day....which I cancelled. It took over a week for that allergic reaction to go away. I threw that stuff in the trash immediately. I agree with what Honeymooner said - stay away from it. The best results I have had for these kinds of sores is that old rememdy "calamine lotion". It keeps it dry and heals it rather quickly. Looks rather stupid though walking around with pink stuff on your face :-)
Old 04-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,092 Times in 568 Posts

My husband who is incarcerated gets them alot in prison. His seem to always come with colds or having alot of stress going on at the time. I also get them with alot of stress or in past years being exposed to the direct sun light.

For me what works the best is the Camphophenique. I have tried the Abreva, but for the tiny size tube it is and the cost for it, it doesn't seem to make them disappear any faster not in my case.

I just try to keep mine moist and in time they go away. I sure have a hard time tho drinking anything hot with them and usually have to use a straw for my coffee.

I have one now as a matter of fact and wouldn't you know it is visiting for me tomorrow. Oh well, guess I will be giving it to my husband. We can't just not kiss now after it has been a month.

Good luck to you and your son.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
"John Dee's 'lil' Wifey"

hey girl I get them all the time right around the time I might be getting sick or stress can do it too I use campho phenique you can get that at like wal Mart or somewhere like that I have also heard abreva is good too it is like 16-20 for a tube though so I hope it is good lol
2012 Club Member #14!