Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 10-20-2018, 06:25 PM

Default Special medical needs while incarcerated

My fiance is currently incarcerated and he is epileptic. The facility is aware of this and has gotten him his medication. However the medication isn't 100% effective and he has had a seizure here and there while on it. I know they're a huge fan on Motrin in there but he gets migraines regularly and it's especially bad after a tonic clonic seizure as you can imagine. Is there anyway I can see about getting him something a bit stronger than what they have to offer? He had migraines every day for over a week straight in there (not unheard of for him) and they wouldn't even okay Motrin 3 times a day for him, they limited him to twice daily for 5 days and then he had to wait to see the doctor again. I just feel he isn't getting proper care.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

Unfortunately, he's going to be limited by whatever pain meds are available on the prison formulary, which prisons are known for being notoriously cheap about carrying.

Prescription pain meds are petty hard to come by in there, so most of the time you're going to have to rely on over-the-counter equivalents like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. to deal with your day-to-day pain management needs. Generics can usually be bought off commissary.

You can pretty much forget about being prescribed any sort of heavy-duty painkiller such as an opiod or anything that could remotely be considered "addictive."
Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Unfortunately, he's going to be limited by whatever pain meds are available on the prison formulary, which prisons are known for being notoriously cheap about carrying.

Prescription pain meds are petty hard to come by in there, so most of the time you're going to have to rely on over-the-counter equivalents like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. to deal with your day-to-day pain management needs. Generics can usually be bought off commissary.

You can pretty much forget about being prescribed any sort of heavy-duty painkiller such as an opiod or anything that could remotely be considered "addictive."
Is there such a thing as like Excedrine Migraine on the commissary? That's what he usually takes when he is at home. He just got transferred to another facility Monday and he is STILL in intake so I have no way of knowing what is available to him since we haven't spoken since his one phone call Monday night. I wasn't expecting percocet or anything, but something a bit stronger than Motrin because it does NOTHING for him. I'm glad he was able to get his prescriptions and that they are keeping him on bottom bunk as a precaution, but needless to say I am not optimistic about their abilities to take care of him should he have a seizure
Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

I'm not sure what may be available off your state prison's commissary list, but all we had on ours was generic aspirin and ibuprofen by the bottle. The latter which I understand is all Motrin really is, the key ingredient.

But it would at least allow him to dose more than twice a day if he had his own bottle bought off commissary, although be careful about overdosing -- I think ibuprofen you are only supposed to take once every 6 hours (no more than 4 times a day).

You might have him check with the prison doctor once he gets settled and see if they carry naproxen (prescription Aleve, which is a longer-lasting pain reliever than the generics) but I seriously doubt you're going to find anything stronger than that on the prison formulary, if they even carry that at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2018), Hurley123 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 PM

He's not even at state yet. He's sitting in county although from what I gather he is looking at state time. I will have him look into what he can get, even if we have to wait til after his GAGNON hearing and he goes to state. I doubt county will have anything decent. Thank you for your input. I hope they move him to a block soon. Since he came from another facility he already had all his blood tests and stuff so we thought him being assigned would he expedited but apparently not. They don't assign blocks on the weekend do they?