Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM

Default Arizona corrections department to reorganize former inmate reentry programs

http://ktar.com/story/1014516/arizon...ntry-programs/

"The Division of Inmate Programs and Reentry will now be in charge of programs like Arizona Correctional Industries, Education, Counseling and Treatment Services, Religion, Reentry Planning and Community Corrections."

In reading this article it sounds like they're trying to streamline reentry in the name of reducing recidivism. However, my husband participated in a town hall meeting in which they announced this change and it sounds more like they're going to be allocating even less money into education and programs in favor of this reentry program that will be mandatory for all inmates with <6 months to the gate.

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:25 PM

That's very interesting. I have been trying since December to get my grandson into the Rio Salado College program at Kingman. The person I was dealing with had no clue about what she was telling me. I wrote to one of the Deans and they put me in touch with someone who understood the process.

I told her I would self pay for some of it, but he had already put in a request for a scholarship. She basically told me that he "could" get a scholarship if he took the classes for the "Workforce Development Certificate". It sounded like she was really pushing it on me/him. I am going to wait for the paperwork to be approved and then I'm going to find out if he can get a scholarship if he takes other classes instead of this Workforce Development. She doesn't know that my grandson already took a 6 month program in jail called the Alpha Program - which is exactly the same as what Rio Salado is offering. He asked to be put in the Alpha Program for the drug/alcohol classes, but many of the MCSO inmates are forced into it. They don't like it because they have a ton of homework.

So now I'm wondering if they will only give the scholarship if you take that class. She said it takes about a year and they like for you to take it in your last year in prison.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,208 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartessa View Post
That's very interesting. I have been trying since December to get my grandson into the Rio Salado College program at Kingman. The person I was dealing with had no clue about what she was telling me. I wrote to one of the Deans and they put me in touch with someone who understood the process.

I told her I would self pay for some of it, but he had already put in a request for a scholarship. She basically told me that he "could" get a scholarship if he took the classes for the "Workforce Development Certificate". It sounded like she was really pushing it on me/him. I am going to wait for the paperwork to be approved and then I'm going to find out if he can get a scholarship if he takes other classes instead of this Workforce Development. She doesn't know that my grandson already took a 6 month program in jail called the Alpha Program - which is exactly the same as what Rio Salado is offering. He asked to be put in the Alpha Program for the drug/alcohol classes, but many of the MCSO inmates are forced into it. They don't like it because they have a ton of homework.

So now I'm wondering if they will only give the scholarship if you take that class. She said it takes about a year and they like for you to take it in your last year in prison.
My son is at Kingman and has been taking one class each semester on a scholarship. He got the forms from the library. It took him 3x to get the application process done correctly (no help from anyone at the time) as he needed to provide some other document or testing score to get into Rio Salada.

Anyway, all of his classes for the past 2 plus years since he started it have been general education classes - math, history, communications, English, sociology. He is working on a 2 year degree in general studies. The community college decides if they qualify for the scholarship and allows for only one class per semester. He can take additional classes but would have to pay for them. Each semester they have to reapply for the scholarship.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 PM

Rio Salado finally told me that even though my grandson filled out the paperwork, the education department in Kingman did not get it signed or forwarded because they didn't know he had a high school diploma. They must have been just throwing them away because he kept filling out new ones. Then they put him in a GED class. He told them he had a high school diploma and they told him he had to prove it. I was able to get his high school to fax over his transcripts.

The lady I'm working with at Rio Salado has been talking to the education department at Kingman, but I haven't heard anything yet. My grandson is very intelligent when it comes to book smarts. He just wants to take classes that will help get his 2 year degree. I'm glad to hear your son got the scholarship for general studies to get his degree. They won't be able to talk me into thinking that the "certificate" is the only way he can get a scholarship.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 AM

WOW!! That is amazing! And it makes so much sense! I wonder who was in charge of those programs? Good Grief!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,208 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartessa View Post
Rio Salado finally told me that even though my grandson filled out the paperwork, the education department in Kingman did not get it signed or forwarded because they didn't know he had a high school diploma. They must have been just throwing them away because he kept filling out new ones. Then they put him in a GED class. He told them he had a high school diploma and they told him he had to prove it. I was able to get his high school to fax over his transcripts.

The lady I'm working with at Rio Salado has been talking to the education department at Kingman, but I haven't heard anything yet. My grandson is very intelligent when it comes to book smarts. He just wants to take classes that will help get his 2 year degree. I'm glad to hear your son got the scholarship for general studies to get his degree. They won't be able to talk me into thinking that the "certificate" is the only way he can get a scholarship.
Tartessa, My son has a high school diploma. He had to take their placement test, which was why it took him several times to get the process right. He said the forms about that test and everything else is in the library at the Kingman prison. He has taken American history, two English classes, communications, sociology, and is now scheduled for a 268(?) level communications course. This will be his 6th class. I spoke with someone else during visitation and their son has taken 6 classes for far, which included math, accounting and geology for him. So, don't let them pool the wool over your eyes!!! Good luck but make sure he knows to take the placement test!