Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in South Carolina should be posted here.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Default thanks

yeah i hear they screw up a lot-they can call but only when the co lets them isnt that lovely. but he said on tues and thurs they can call between 6-8 pm if the guard lets them --so please pray with me that i get that call its been too many days since ive talked to him. thanks, Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to Missingmyman76 For This Useful Post:
inmatemama (04-13-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 AM
inmate Mama

I just said a prayer for you, so if it's Gods will, you'll be getting a call tonight!
I don't know why some guards can be so irritating.. It's almost as if they WANT the guy to lose his temper and start trouble! I know it's hard when you haven't seen, or spoken to your guy in so long.. Just hang in there... It can't be too much longer..
I know a stint with SCDC is a nightmare, but you will both get through it... Believe me.. Alot of people are praying for us, and God says trials and tribulations make us better and stronger people, so hang in there..
Missingmyman76 (04-13-2010)
Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Default No phone call

Well no phone call again tonight i think ill start crying yet again. If my life aint screwed up enough with the love of my life being in prison. I went and got a loan today to pay my bills to keep a roof over our heads until i get paid. My mom is living with me so i tell her that im going to get it even though i cant really afford it-- she says nothing.. later i get home and she says im thinking about moving in with your sister--b/c my sis told her all she had to do was keep her house clean and cook no money involved. i just said whatever. b/c me and my mom cook and clean here bc i need help with money but thats fine let her see how it is living with my sis. good luck to u . Have a good night its off to bed for me b/c my allergies are driving me nuts and so is everything else. Nikki

Old 04-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Yes, I have heard this. Is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2005 View Post
Yesterday the S.C. Senate passed the early release bill. The way I understand it, the are going to release drug offenders and non violent offenders early to make more room in the prison's for violent offenders. Has anyone else seen this? Please let me know if you have. Thanks!!
I have a son in the SCDC and he has told me that word got around about this being passed. I agree with it. Although my son will not get out early because he is doing straight time, it will release some of the other non violent inmates that deserve to come home. It seems to me that S.C. gives the longest sentences of any state I have heard of. If the SCDC had more programs for rehabilitation our loved ones might benefit some. I know that when someone does a crime they must pay for it, and I agree it should not be a vacation, but in the SCDC there is no help. No money, no one cares. If they don't want the offenders to come back they need to appropriate some funds for rehabilitation. Or let the family's that can afford to help, help. PLease keep me informed if you hear anything else about this. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheilaturman For This Useful Post:
inmatemama (04-23-2010), jacmac12 (04-23-2010), magnolia17 (09-14-2010)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Question

My boyfriend is up for his 1st parole on Oct. 13th 2010 He has sent in his letter to the parole board and I have gotten 6 other people to send in letters. He has NO violent charges on his record, no drug charges and no sex charges. He has taken and passed the work keys program and he also works in the kitchen 7 days a week. He has been in NO trouble during his year in prison. He wants to obtain his CDL when he gets out and has a letter of support from a friend that has had his for over 12 years now and he's going to help him if he gets out. My boyfriend has a slight disability and has been receiving disability checks for the past 2 years and will receive them once again when he gets out. So my question is does that qualify as him having income/a job when it comes to the parole board's decision? Also, someone from the parole board has been to the prison to talk to him over 2 months ago, but no one has contacted me as of yet....we are wanting him to be paroled to my house. When will someone be contacting me? I fully own my mobile home, I have nice furniture, a very clean home, a car, and a job. I also have no criminal record and have lived in my home for almost 11 months. What do you think his chances are to get paroled? Thanks you so much for any input.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Parole

Sorry, I forgot to add that I lived in South Carolina and that he is an inmate at MacDougall Correctional Institution.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 AM
inmate Mama

Sounds like he's good "Parole" material!! And if he's on disability, I don't think he'll need to have a job, unless it's not 100%... If not, then a part time job will probably be in order.
No-one can say whether or not he'll be paroled, except the parole board, but according to what you say about him, he sounds like he may be approved! Good luck with it, and may God bless!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
magnolia17

Red face Just wandering

Quote:
Yesterday the S.C. Senate passed the early release bill. The way I understand it, the are going to release drug offenders and non violent offenders early to make more room in the prison's for violent offenders. Has anyone else seen this? Please let me know if you have. Thanks!!
Hi!
I am pretty new to this site. My husband is a 1st time,non violent,offender ai Kirkland. He has been in prison sinnce Feb. 1. 2008. He hasnt gotten into any trouble and he is teaching GED classes on the inside and serving on the inmate council. He is serving time on a breach of trust charge, and his max out date is Sept. 1, 2011. Since the Early Release Bill has been passed recently, and if and when it it is signed by the governor, could this bill being passed help him to max out early. I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Any help. answers, knowledge you could offer me would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much Blessing to you....
Thamks Again, Magnolia 17
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Default early parole

Quote:
why do they let the drug offenders off when there are men in there for something they did not do why don't they let them out first.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,841 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia17 View Post
Hi!
I am pretty new to this site. My husband is a 1st time,non violent,offender ai Kirkland. He has been in prison sinnce Feb. 1. 2008. He hasnt gotten into any trouble and he is teaching GED classes on the inside and serving on the inmate council. He is serving time on a breach of trust charge, and his max out date is Sept. 1, 2011. Since the Early Release Bill has been passed recently, and if and when it it is signed by the governor, could this bill being passed help him to max out early. I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Any help. answers, knowledge you could offer me would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much Blessing to you....
Thamks Again, Magnolia 17

Given everything you've stated your husband is a prime candidate for early release
The Following User Says Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
magnolia17 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I have heard this, but I cant find out anything on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mathiswife For This Useful Post:
magnolia17 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin123 View Post
I believe the above "NEW" bill is for ALL inmates for GOOD behavior, from what I've read... In S.C., according to the S.C.D.C. site, we already have a "good time bill" I'm still trying to find anything recent from the above bill H.R. 1475

7. Will inmates be rewarded for good behavior or work in prison?

Yes, South Carolina laws allow SCDC to award inmates with credits for good behavior and participation in work/educational programs. These credits can be applied towards an inmate's sentence(s) to establish an earlier release date, unless the inmate was sentenced under the Truth-in-Sentencing statute and must serve 85% of his/her sentence. Good time credits can be applied towards establishing sentence expiration date. Good time credits cannot be applied towards establishing parole (conditional release) eligibility. On the other hand, work/educational credits can be applied towards conditional or unconditional release criteria
My fiance is serving a sentence of 85% but its non-violent. Im trying to find out if any of this release stuff applies to him. He works everyday and has never been in any trouble...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
LOST AND ALONE

My question is this: Is there a difference between the "Early Release" bill and the "Sentence Reform" bill. If I remember correctly and reading over some old post and news paper articles from earlier this year that was talking about "Releasing" some non-violent inmates early. Then there came the "Sentence Reform" and there was no more mention of an early release. "The Sentence Reform" does not affect those already incarcerated before the bill was signed. I'M CONFUSED????????
magnolia17 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmac12 View Post
My question is this: Is there a difference between the "Early Release" bill and the "Sentence Reform" bill. If I remember correctly and reading over some old post and news paper articles from earlier this year that was talking about "Releasing" some non-violent inmates early. Then there came the "Sentence Reform" and there was no more mention of an early release. "The Sentence Reform" does not affect those already incarcerated before the bill was signed. I'M CONFUSED????????
Jacmac all i have heard is starting in Jan if u r going up for parole and are nonvilent you should get it-- that is the only way it helps our inmates already in.. Supposedly it is set up to keep minor criminals for serving time for ex: possesion of a substance. Hope this helps but Im still confused some myself

The Following User Says Thank You to Missingmyman76 For This Useful Post:
magnolia17 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
LOST AND ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyman76 View Post
Jacmac all i have heard is starting in Jan if u r going up for parole and are nonvilent you should get it-- that is the only way it helps our inmates already in.. Supposedly it is set up to keep minor criminals for serving time for ex: possesion of a substance. Hope this helps but Im still confused some myself
Then I also heard that in Jan that they were suppose to get 6mos taken off their sentence. But Mac said that no one is even talking about that now cause so many rumors are going around. I just think it's messed up how "They" got our hopes up earlier this year and now we are left confused.
magnolia17 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmac12 View Post
Then I also heard that in Jan that they were suppose to get 6mos taken off their sentence. But Mac said that no one is even talking about that now cause so many rumors are going around. I just think it's messed up how "They" got our hopes up earlier this year and now we are left confused.

I think how all of this works is if they are:

(1) 6 months within their max out without any disciplinary charges prior to that, they'll be release early to complete the remainder of their sentence through DPPP.

(2) up for parole or probabation they could be released "early". Understand that these releases do not mean they are "free" they're just released from SCDC into another law enforcement agency's custody and they will be expected to fulfill the requirements of their release ASAP (fees and all even if they do not have a job). I hope this helps everyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
inmatemama (09-23-2010), jacmac12 (09-23-2010), magnolia17 (09-24-2010), Missingmyman76 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
I think how all of this works is if they are:

(1) 6 months within their max out without any disciplinary charges prior to that, they'll be release early to complete the remainder of their sentence through DPPP.

(2) up for parole or probabation they could be released "early". Understand that these releases do not mean they are "free" they're just released from SCDC into another law enforcement agency's custody and they will be expected to fulfill the requirements of their release ASAP (fees and all even if they do not have a job). I hope this helps everyone.
Ok Chocs heres one for u bc I am even more confused now. michael goes up for parole end of Jan but his max out date is June 1st so still less than 6 months from Jan. So will he still go up for parole or will he get out??? Its really messing with my head!!! Like I aint got enough to try and figure out.I hope u r doing good. Sending prayers your way, Nikki p.s. Can they get out on parole if they do not have a job lined up???

Last edited by Missingmyman76; 09-23-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyman76 View Post
Ok Chocs heres one for u bc I am even more confused now. michael goes up for parole end of Jan but his max out date is June 1st so still less than 6 months from Jan. So will he still go up for parole or will he get out??? Its really messing with my head!!! Like I aint got enough to try and figure out.I hope u r doing good. Sending prayers your way, Nikki p.s. Can they get out on parole if they do not have a job lined up???

I can understand the confusion because it took all summer for us to figure out my love's release situation. It was very stressful and most people will not want to help. Honestly I think they could try to release him six months early and avoid the parole hearing base on his max out but that would be up to the institution/caseworker and him contacting someone there about his case and release. It's up to those in charge at his institution to provide headquarters with the information, and they will tell you that anytime you call the offices in Columbia. The chaplain was very helpful in our case, he made as many calls and got what basic information he could get for us. If you both are prepared to work (stay in frequent contact with each other without getting overwhelmed and stressed) to get information, he should start asking questions as early as the end of October about the six months release not the parole hearing.

No one has to have a job, but DPPP wants the money for the fees the day they report to their assigned agent. That was the first question my love's agent asked each time and they can violate them for not paying. One of his requirements was to look for work, but it didn't seem to be a priority because a lot of people who reported on the day he was assigned were out of work/on unemployment.

I hope I answered your question and thanks again for the prayers, we're still waiting to hear something...no news is good news I guess. We just have to get through next week *sigh*.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
magnolia17 (09-24-2010), Missingmyman76 (09-24-2010)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
I can understand the confusion because it took all summer for us to figure out my love's release situation. It was very stressful and most people will not want to help. Honestly I think they could try to release him six months early and avoid the parole hearing base on his max out but that would be up to the institution/caseworker and him contacting someone there about his case and release. It's up to those in charge at his institution to provide headquarters with the information, and they will tell you that anytime you call the offices in Columbia. The chaplain was very helpful in our case, he made as many calls and got what basic information he could get for us. If you both are prepared to work (stay in frequent contact with each other without getting overwhelmed and stressed) to get information, he should start asking questions as early as the end of October about the six months release not the parole hearing.

No one has to have a job, but DPPP wants the money for the fees the day they report to their assigned agent. That was the first question my love's agent asked each time and they can violate them for not paying. One of his requirements was to look for work, but it didn't seem to be a priority because a lot of people who reported on the day he was assigned were out of work/on unemployment.

I hope I answered your question and thanks again for the prayers, we're still waiting to hear something...no news is good news I guess. We just have to get through next week *sigh*.
Chocs thanks so much for the help. Michael is very quiet in there so not to sure what good he can do. I have tried calling parole in Columbia several times to no return call. But will start back over again Mon.I'm just trying to make sure they have my right phone number for when he goes up for parole b/c one pto member said they had already called her for her bf's parole hearing and he goes up at beginning of Jan and michael goes up toward the end. Michael has a job lined up that he could prob start a day or so after getting home, but I cant have them write a letter b/c they dont know hes locked up. When michael went to court i told them his mom got sick and they called last week and i told them he had to go back to take care of her and we dont know whats going to happen right now. I mean seriously they must be needing people bad b/c that was late feb when he put his app in and they are still calling wanting him to come to work for them. Well Thanks again for all your help. I have been really down in the dumps lately and feel like crap so Im going to bed. Keep us informed about your loved one and good luck to u both. Sending prayers, Nikki

Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Has anyone heard if the early release bill passed. My hubby called me today a d said it passed on jan 3rd of this year and that he thinks he will be getting g out 6 months early....any info will be more than appreciated!! Anyone who knows anything about this please message back! I've scoured the internet and can't find anything about it anywhere...its supposedly 6 months off sentences for non violent offenders.....please help......
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
WIthoutHim

Maybe that will happen in Alabama as well. We are already 195% over capacity!! I am ready for my man to come home!!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 PM

I too,have heard all the above.Then some people tell me not to hold my breath.My son is non-violent,hope things go good for him in May.
Good luck to all who have loved ones comming up for parole.Wish we could ALL get together and get something done!!