Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Visit denied because I did not know him prior to incarceration

Hello Im new here is having visitation denied an emergency? It is to me cus I wanna c him soo bad. Denied becus I did not know him prior. Why let then reach out for penpals for them to deny u from having and even better relationship with visits. I love this man, I jus wrote letter I plan to send to the warden. Forrest city medium anyone have advice or suggestion, I am determined to see him and will not stop trying.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,872 Times in 17,014 Posts

Sorry sweetie, but that's standard procedure for Federal facilities You can send the Warden that letter, but prepare yourself for another denial.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
forhimIwill (09-15-2016), Sarianna (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,643 Times in 13,583 Posts

Your best chance to eventually be approved to visit him is to appeal your denial to the warden. Some people finally got approved even though they didn't know the prisoner before incarceration in federal prison, but it didn't happen quickly.

Another consideration is if he doesn't receive other visitors, so be sure to point that out if it pertains to your MWI.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 6,385 Times in 2,373 Posts

The prisons themselves do not advocate or promote pen pal listings. They are, obviously, made on behalf of inmates usually by friends or family or through snail mail forms since inmates don't (well, shouldn't) have internet access.

You can write to the warden but if the facility has a policy in place you might not get anywhere....

Good luck.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. He has had only 1 visit in 6 yrs and I think there should b an exception Im sending letter to warden its better then lying on the app.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forhimIwill For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2016), patchouli (09-14-2016), Sarianna (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanked 11,109 Times in 6,008 Posts

The reality is that MOST penpal situations do not move towards visitation. As such, there is no reason for an agency to have a carve-out exception simply because penpal contact is permitted through the mail. The law of unintended consequence is that they will simply go the path of least resistance and curtail the ability of federal offenders to have access to penpal websites...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
forhimIwill (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 PM

I have seen people in the same situation you're in now appeal the denial to the warden asking for a special visit (like a one-time visit). If that went well, they were (in some cases) approved and put on the inmate's list.

To answer your question, communication through letters or email is VERY different than having access to face-to-face communication with them. It's a security issue. Whereas your situation may be different, you have to understand that many of these relationships are not built with the best of intentions on the inmates' part. The inmate may have intentions of turning the girl on to bringing in contraband or something along those lines. I've seen it happen a lot. Is it just as possible with those that met before prison? Sure, but there is a logic behind why these rules exist.

Kudos to you for telling the truth on the form. I've seen tons that just lie through their teeth just to get approved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretzellogic79 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2016), priceam (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,473 Posts

The fact that he's only had one visit in 6 years is just the type of information that may eventually lead to your request for getting approval.

Be sure to keep all communication with the prison official calm and respectful. If the appeals are denied, he can still re-apply further on down the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
forhimIwill (09-15-2016), patchouli (09-21-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 AM

Thats what Im hoping, me and him both will be writing the warden and some people at FOB regional office. Its a sad misfortune he has really only had 1 visit in 6 yrs I will not give up and Im gonna get my visit. He deserves it.
The Following User Says Thank You to forhimIwill For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,975 Times in 4,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forhimIwill View Post
Thats what Im hoping, me and him both will be writing the warden and some people at FOB regional office. Its a sad misfortune he has really only had 1 visit in 6 yrs I will not give up and Im gonna get my visit. He deserves it.
I would advise that in the first instance you write to the warden and appeal the decision. I would not recommend that you write to "some people" at the regional office at this stage.Its important that you follow the chain of command and only go above the wardens head if your application is rejected again .
You main reason for appeal is that he is not getting regular visits. You could ask for a special visit its at their discretion and if that goes well and without incident they may allow you to be on his visitors list it worked for me. however this not guarantueed

Be respectful and keep in mind that you do not have the right to visits its a priviledge and they do not have to allow you to visit.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.

Last edited by maytayah; 09-15-2016 at 11:54 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2016), forhimIwill (09-15-2016), Sarianna (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forhimIwill View Post
not to sound completely rude but you thinking just because you write some letters you will get your visits clearly shows how uneducated and unfamiliar you are about this system. It is not an emergency that your visitation got denied and emergency is when your loved one is sick or injured and medical hasn't seen them for days, weeks, and months.

You met your boyfriend a few months ago so you really haven't had along term investment into this person. The system does not owe you any visit especially if you do not fall on there rules. If you think the system is going to bow down to you because you write a couple of letters and have known an inmate for a few months you have a harsh reality coming to you becuase it will be a slime chance you are apporved. There are people that have years invested in long term relationships with their MWI's still fighting to see their loved one, there are MBI's that are still fighting to see their loved one because they have been denied.

If the warden doesn't care about letters complaining about maggots in food, infestations in the cells, medical emergencies being ignored, and abuse from their COs against inmates I am sure your little letter won't mean anything. Better get used to this reality that you don't get what you want because they have the control and if you get anything you are lucky. But nothing is owed to you just because you want it.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Struck
not to sound completely rude but you thinking just because you write some letters you will get your visits clearly shows how uneducated and unfamiliar you are about this system. It is not an emergency that your visitation got denied and emergency is when your loved one is sick or injured and medical hasn't seen them for days, weeks, and months. You met your boyfriend a few months ago so you really haven't had along term investment into this person. The system does not owe you any visit especially if you do not fall on there rules. If you think the system is going to bow down to you because you write a couple of letters and have known an inmate for a few months you have a harsh reality coming to you becuase it will be a slime chance you are apporved. There are people that have years invested in long term relationships with their MWI's still fighting to see their loved one, there are MBI's that are still fighting to see their loved one because they have been denied. If the warden doesn't care about letters complaining about maggots in food, infestations in the cells, medical emergencies being ignored, and abuse from their COs against inmates I am sure your little letter won't mean anything. Better get used to this reality that you don't get what you want because they have the control and if you get anything you are lucky. But nothing is owed to you just because you want it.
My husband and I had known each other for three months when my visitation application was denied. I wrote a letter to the Warden requesting a special visit and specified as to why I should be granted a special visit. Three months after that, my husband and I met in person for the first time. After that, I was able to get a second special visit and then finally, I was put on his visitation list. All in all, it took 10 months between my husband and I first made contact until I was on his visitation list, so writing a letter to the Warden can absolutely help.

OP, write the letter to the Warden only. Make sure to point out the lack of outside contact your boyfriend is having since he doesn't get any visits. Highlight the positive influence you have had on him and give specifics.
Make sure you're well-spoken and courteous in your letter. Address the letter to Warden XYZ, so it's addressed to him by title and name. Good luck.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-21-2016), forhimIwill (09-23-2016), WG406 (12-01-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
My husband and I had known each other for three months when my visitation application was denied. I wrote a letter to the Warden requesting a special visit and specified as to why I should be granted a special visit. Three months after that, my husband and I met in person for the first time. After that, I was able to get a second special visit and then finally, I was put on his visitation list. All in all, it took 10 months between my husband and I first made contact until I was on his visitation list, so writing a letter to the Warden can absolutely help.

OP, write the letter to the Warden only. Make sure to point out the lack of outside contact your boyfriend is having since he doesn't get any visits. Highlight the positive influence you have had on him and give specifics.
Make sure you're well-spoken and courteous in your letter. Address the letter to Warden XYZ, so it's addressed to him by title and name. Good luck.
Thanks I sent out letters this week and he has been at them also. Seems likely it will get approved they see he is serious about wanting to be with me and he does not get visits. I put it all in the letter I am now his family and I am agood influence I have CJ degree and he will not be returning to prison. Fingers crossed hoping and praying.
fbopnomore (09-24-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,335 Times in 3,156 Posts

Quote:
I am now his family
Um, sorry but no you're not. You aren't married, nor are you related by blood or adoption. You haven't met him in person. Feelings for someone and titling oneself a boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance does not mean family.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
Um, sorry but no you're not. You aren't married, nor are you related by blood or adoption. You haven't met him in person. Feelings for someone and titling oneself a boyfriend/girlfriend or fiance does not mean family.
I didn't mean it literally but I am the only support and ties he has. He doesn't have family support and we have a great bond. We talk about marriage and I am his family and all that he needs to maintain in there and be successful when he get out.
joybubby (07-01-2018)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM

I'm glad you're wanting to give company to an inmate and cut through some of the loneliness they go through. The fervor may be a little bit misplaced though. Reality would contend this is a man you haven't met yet, and marriage may not be the right course to take. Unfortunately simply *willing* someone to never return to prison doesn't acknowledge all of the challenges and high recidivism rates. And NONE of this is an emergency hehe. Maybe coming off a bit kooky, if you know what I mean It may be best to tone some of that down when writing letters to officials. They're much more likely to respond to an articulate logical request than an emotional dramatic one making grandiose suppositions. Just relaaaax, things like this usually give lots of time to learn about and know the other person. It's cool that you've felt that initial spark and I hope you're able to get your visit!

Last edited by TawnyStar; 09-23-2016 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: sp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TawnyStar For This Useful Post:
forhimIwill (09-23-2016), patchouli (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TawnyStar View Post
I'm glad you're wanting to give company to an inmate and cut through some of the loneliness they go through. The fervor may be a little bit misplaced though. Reality would contend this is a man you haven't met yet, and marriage may not be the right course to take. Unfortunately simply *willing* someone to never return to prison doesn't acknowledge all of the challenges and high recidivism rates. And NONE of this is an emergency hehe. Maybe coming off a bit kooky, if you know what I mean It may be best to tone some of that down when writing letters to officials. They're much more likely to respond to an articulate logical request than an emotional dramatic one making grandiose suppositions. Just relaaaax, things like this usually give lots of time to learn about and know the other person. It's cool that you've felt that initial spark and I hope you're able to get your visit!
Thanks
I believe alot of it was very logical he only had 1 visit in 6 yrs and I am his only ties to the community. I have grown to love him and can and will give him all the support he has needed many yrs prior to prison. Believe I will get my practice in if this is denied I will be writing more letters until I get it right.