Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Parole, Probation, Work Release & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Parole, Probation, Work Release & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in New York should be posted here.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Violation vs. Jail Time, Please Help.

If anyone can help or tell me where I can find information it would be appreciated.

My hubby is currently at Rikers Island and has been since April 2007 for violating probation. He is/was on 5 years of probation which was given to him in place of him not serving any jail time from a C Felony non-violent drug case (marijuana). The judge had offered a year but then gave him the 5 years probation instead. He was then violated on probation in March for resisting arrest. The probation judge is trying to give him 1 1/2-4 years (which we think is the maximum so he would still have to come out on probation) We go back to court on Oct 3. where we will not take that offer. We want to fight this as we believe he should really only be given a year. We are trying to just get the year and have everything run concurrent. I don't feel like the lawyer knows enough about probation, he agrees with us about the year but says it's up to the judge. We just want to fight this, plus I really, really just want my honey home. If anyone knows about this please respond or message me.

He is trying to come home without the probation by the way, and i know of someone where the judge offered 2-5 and then 2-3, 1-3 and finally 8 months. Please Help!

Thanks

At times you have to get through the pain to appreciate the joy!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM

My bf was charged with the same and was offered probation or treatment. He chose treatment, but later (long story) ended up being sentenced to do time. He got a 1 year flat bid, with 2 years post-release supervision. His lawyer wasn't great either, but the judge never offered any other options so we didn't have to "negotiate" anything. Just know that it IS possible to get a lower sentence than what you are being offered, so FIGHT!
The epiphany, there's nothing to fear!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two of Hearts
My bf was charged with the same and was offered probation or treatment. He chose treatment, but later (long story) ended up being sentenced to do time. He got a 1 year flat bid, with 2 years post-release supervision. His lawyer wasn't great either, but the judge never offered any other options so we didn't have to "negotiate" anything. Just know that it IS possible to get a lower sentence than what you are being offered, so FIGHT!
Hi Two of Hearts. Thank you so much for your feedback. It's good to hear someone he has had the same problem. Sorry I am just getting back to you but we have been working on a couple of things for his sentencing. Well his sentencing is coming up on Dec. 17th and we are praying that he is offered less time. We have gathered character reference letters, i also included time sheets for his job that was obtained two days before his incarceration in April and his painting license. I am hoping this will persuade the judge. My hubby feels confident so I am praying and praying that this helps.

At times you have to get through the pain to appreciate the joy!