Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:52 AM
things are great againl..

Default Husband Asked Me To Post This

HI. My husband asked me to post this, in hopes that someone may know who to write to about this.

During my incarceration AT A.C.I. I have seen a lot of things going on. One of the most upsetting is the defrauding of the federal Government. The most blatant way they do it is by using the Pre GED and GED school programs. My friend wa just "released" to Pre GED. He has a high school diploma and also diplomas from different trade schools. A.C.Il. knows of them. He isnot the only one, Several inmates got released to school so that the institute can qualify to get more federal money. After they recieve it, the inmates are then released back to their prior positions. I know of one gentleman who has a masters degree, who was released! I understand one institution does not equal a large sum of money. Just think of all the prisons across the country that are doing the same thing. How many millions of dollars is this costing us? Think about it. If it upsets you like it does me, findout who you can write or contact to have yourself heard. I sure as heck am....when I get out........

Loving one another for eternity....!!

:love:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2005, 12:46 PM
waiting for him

Wow, Linda I had no idea this was going on. It is a real eye opener! My best to you and Jeff, always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Boss

Who is getting the money- the prison or the school?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:29 AM

The prison

Old 11-03-2005, 05:23 AM

I'm sorry but I am thankful that they have these GED programs. They are bringing man man home 5 months sooner than what he was supposed to come home. He had nott had a high school diploma when he went in. Also when they are released (at least in Indiana) they will pay for them to go to Ivy Tech State College. I am very thankful for this type of program.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Account Closed

Are you stating that these diplomas are fraudulent?

I am all for education. It not only relieves stress and occupies their minds but is the one thing that has been proven to rehabilitate. Those inmates will need job skills when they are back on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddawgsluv
HI. My husband asked me to post this, in hopes that someone may know who to write to about this.

During my incarceration AT A.C.I. I have seen a lot of things going on. One of the most upsetting is the defrauding of the federal Government. The most blatant way they do it is by using the Pre GED and GED school programs. My friend wa just "released" to Pre GED. He has a high school diploma and also diplomas from different trade schools. A.C.Il. knows of them. He isnot the only one, Several inmates got released to school so that the institute can qualify to get more federal money. After they recieve it, the inmates are then released back to their prior positions. I know of one gentleman who has a masters degree, who was released! I understand one institution does not equal a large sum of money. Just think of all the prisons across the country that are doing the same thing. How many millions of dollars is this costing us? Think about it. If it upsets you like it does me, findout who you can write or contact to have yourself heard. I sure as heck am....when I get out........
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Recieving education is fine and we are all for it as well, but these are guys that already have high degrees of education.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM
I miss my honey!!

I think what he is saying or what I got from it is that basically the prison system gets so much funds from the state for each inmate that is signed up to get a GED. But the prison is basically giving false information to the state by signing a inmate that already has a High school deploma up for the GED program and once they get the money that inmate of course does not take the GED program/class because they do not need it and the prison keeps those funds...??? that is what I got. If that is correct then that is not fair to the state or any tax payer because where is that money going... I am all for the prison system having the GED program available for inmates but I do not think they should be scaming the state and tax payers out of money not needed...Just my thoughts...

Old 11-03-2005, 03:56 PM

THANK YOU SHANES KITTY KAT. That is exactly wht he is trying to say....!!!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM

My husband and I are all for education in the prison system, but thta is not what is happening all of the time. They are taking educated people and enrolling them in this program, and then when they get the funding for this program, they take them back out of it. If theyre wer using the program for the right reasond it would be great...!!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:12 AM
waiting patiently

Post thats crazy

well what do you expected its a prison the man who runs the show usually belongs in a uniform just like the rest he probly more croocked then anybody in there and thats a shame!!!!

I love my bad boy!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 PM

I am all for education,but "fraud"no.My son has a hard time just trying to get in a program.Our prison systems stink.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM
My Baby Loves Me!!

i dont know about this but good luck in finding out what u need
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

I have heard a little about this on other threads, so it goes on at other places. I would like to know what they do with the money, if they are putting it back into the educational program, they may be scamming, but for good not evil. If not, then something should be done.

CATHERINE
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

Scamming is scamming, no matter what they are doing with the money. I did not think they got the money unless the inmate passed the GED. I may be wrong about that, but if this is going on, someone should call the governor's office and report it. Be prepared to have specific information with names and dates. You have to have that to be credible. And be prepared for the possible backlash from the prison. I can imagine that would happen too. Make sure you let the governor's office know there may be some trouble. As a tax payer, this kind of stuff really makes me mad. Especially since most of us try so hard to follow all the rules set for us.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Donation Award 

I just have to share this little story. My husband who is 56, high school and college educated, Vietnam vet and entrepreneur who self-surrendered to La Tuna in El Paso, had to meet with his counselor and she told him that he will have to go through the GED program because they can't find his high school diploma but... they did find his college transcripts. Hmmmmm My husband asked her "how could I have gotten into college without a high school diploma?"

This system is so screwed up!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

Thats the system for ya....!!!! Your husband makes a valid point...thanks for sharing......