Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
CrystalandBrian

Default Visitation help at Putnumville

I was wondering how does visitation go at putnumville. I want to know everything from parking to leaving. This is my first time ever visiting a prison and I am so nervous and I just want to make sure I do everything right. I also want to know how the dress code it there from shirt to pants to shoes. I would like to know it all if someone could please let me know I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM

I feel your pain sister. I was scared to death the first time I went in. After your first visit it will be cake work and you'll get more comfortable. The good thing is, the guards/CO's will know you once you come back and be decent instead of buttheads. I don't know if you have ever drove by there or anything but when you get to the parking lot make sure you read the signs. You'll want to go left when pulling in. You'll park facing the road. The 'visitors lot' is down the hill but that hill is a monster and there is normally parking so you don't have to walk up.
w.in .gov/ idoc/2403. htm is the visitation guidelines website. Only bring in your keys, jacket, id, and money if you want to order food or anything. Literally once you get in the door, lock your keys (and any kind of jewelry, except a wedding band.) in a locker (Keep the locker key with you obviously.) Get your money changed out. They have a quarter machine and token machine. The vending machines take quarters (I normally do $10) and to order a burger or pizza they take tokens. (They're $1/token. I get $10-20.) You have to put them in the bowls on top of the machine and no green money can go in. Once you've got all this bring your ID, license plate number, and IDOC# to the desk. If they ask if your address on your id is right. Of course it is. They will then make you send everything though the scanner, shoes in one tote, jacket, id, and coins in the other. You'll walk through the metal detector and they will 'shake you down' (pat you down). Bottoms of your feet, pull your pockets out, and so on. Once they check everything they will stamp your hand and you'll be able to get your stuff and go to the walk through door. You push when you hear the lock turn. I was a retard the first time and thought it was unlocking and waited until it stopped. LOL. It happens. Once they let you in you'll show them your id and stamp under black light and they will open another door on the other side. You walk down the sidewalk until you hit the actual cross street. On your right there is a yellow building and I believe it says, "visitation" something. lol. It's hard to miss. Once you go in there, you'll have to wait for another guard to come shake you down. You'll lock up your jacket/coat and write your name/IDOC down. The guard will do shake down and will let you go to the visitation room. In the middle of the room, there will be guards sitting at a desk, they have to assign you a table so go check in with them. They'll ask who you are there to see and give you a number. The numbers are hard to find so ask if you aren't sure. The spot the "X" is on is where the inmate must sit, facing the guards, but you can sit anywhere else at the assigned table. And the worst part... You wait. You get 2 hour visits unless it's packed. Once they call your table you say goodbye/hug/kiss and walk out the way you came in. It's basically the opposite way without the shake downs and such. You'll go back out to the small building where you started, go through the lock doors and once you get to where they shook you down initially a guard has to open the door for you to get out.

When do you plan on visiting? I've only go up super early on Sundays because it's the fewest amount of people. I hope this helps. Sorry it's so specific, I just wish someone would have helped or let me know before I went. Message me if you have more questions.

Last edited by aRader2011; 01-10-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
CrystalandBrian

Thank you so much this has really helped me a lot. Im so happy that someone responded before i went up there. OMG now im really nervous.lol Once my papers go through im going im planning on tuesdays because thats my off day at work. Thank you so much again. So im worried about my jeans i dont want them to send me out because they are tight.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM

just make sure there isnt any tears in ur jeans and make sure u cant see through ur shirt or if its low cut they will make u change.. i always bring an extra outfit in my car otherwise u will b going to the gas station to buy something...

Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
CrystalandBrian

Ok thank u so much
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Banned

Oh and 1st shift viso CO's(in mornings) are more strict than 2nd shift which in my opinion is alot more laid back and tolerant. I like the viso CO with the glasses...idk his name but hes 2nd shift. He's pretty cool =)

They got a quarter machine and a token machine. Cant bring dollar bills back into viso room so make sure you either bring quarters or make change. U can purchase which 1 token is a $1 and this is for fresh favorites like pizza etc and u will see the order forms for that up at CO desk. Its kinda cool its like getting fast food. Always if u want pictures taken he has to come out with a pic ticket. They usually have an inmate(s)take the pix and print out 4 copies for ya If we left out anything please let us know. Oh and dont wear jewelry they will make u put it up in a locker. Not even small earrings.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
CrystalandBrian

So what is the thing about pictures????
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,926 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalandbrian View Post
So what is the thing about pictures????
he has to buy picture tickets on commissary and bring them to the visit, when he comes into the vr he needs to let the cos know he wants pics then they will come get him or let him know when they are ready to take them...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
CrystalandBrian

Oh ok thank u so much i dont even think he knows about that but i can let him know thank u so much
Old 01-21-2012, 03:35 PM

I go every other Tuesday to see my husband and yea the first visit was nerveracking but once I saw him it was all worth it. Now I don't stress at all. The hill is crazy. Didn't know that there was anywhere else we could park.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM
CrystalandBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora3329 View Post
I go every other Tuesday to see my husband and yea the first visit was nerveracking but once I saw him it was all worth it. Now I don't stress at all. The hill is crazy. Didn't know that there was anywhere else we could park.

So since you go on tuesday is it busy there and is there anything i should really know about dress code and the parking and everything. Im so scared just wanting to make sure i dont get turned away. Please help me out thank you.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM

Crystal. I have always gone on a Tuesday so don't have any other day to compare it too. But I have always got to stay the full time. Just make sure you don't wear anything really tight. No jewlery but a wedding band. Follow the signs for parking. There are lockers right when you walk in to put your car keys in. Only allowed 30.00. Change and token machines. Take your drivers license and know your licese plate number. Are you going this Tuesday. We usually get there about 1045.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM
CrystalandBrian

No not this Tuesday I'm still waiting on getting approved. Well all my jeans are tight fitting so that's what I'm worried about?is there signs that tell me which door to go in and where to go once I get in the building?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM

I think they are more worried about your shirts. No low cut. And yes everything is marked pretty well. And everyone so far has been nice and helpful.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
CrystalandBrian

Oh OK thank you so much. You have been really helpful. Thank you again
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Banned

Lol the hill to climb with all them STAIRS is crazy.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 AM

I hear you on that one. It bout kills me everytime I walk them.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

Luckily today me and my daughter found parking up top.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Hello everyone. Just got approved and love this page!! Thanks so much for posting! I plan on going up in the morning. Has anything changed or is this still the basics?? Thanks so much again!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM

Everythng is the same. I go every other Tuesday. Congrats on getting approved.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM

THX!! I can't wait for morning. Its a long drive, but worth every minute!!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Smile Just got approved!

Hoping to head to Putnumville on Tuesday. Any info on whats going on there currently with visits would be awesome! I have never visited a prison so I am pretty nervous. The whole dress code thing. Ugh!

Thanks in Advance

Julie