Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Default TDD questions/How long does it take to hear from them? (Iowa)

So, long story short - my fiance/husband just got sent to Oakdale prison (Iowa Medical and Classification Center) last Friday (April 13th). I have mailed a visitors application, a money order along with the phone credit paper, a money order for his commissary and two letters to him. Today is Tuesday April 17th and I haven't heard anything at all from him other than a call from the county jail he was in saying I was appointed to come pick up his property because he was being transferred. How long until I get a phone call? How do I get on his call list? I am assuming he was add me to it. I sent the money but I figure maybe I am just being impatient with snail mail and the weekend. I just wanna hear from him, even a letter. ugh!

My other question is, his TDD is listed as 4/08/2020. which would make sense since he is being charged with a two year misdemeanor. However, he gets 5 months of time served from being in county jail plus the three days he spent there before he got transferred. I heard once you get down to Oakdale that it gets cut in half and with his time served, it should be another 5 months or so tops. I even confirmed this with his lawyer. So why does it say 2020 for a discharge date? Any help would be amazing on either question. I'm going crazy. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 PM

From your other post sounds like you finally heard from him. As far as the visiting form, that could take a few weeks before you get approved. He will let you know once you do. In Oakdale the rules are a lot stricter because it is the classification center... they are trying to figure out where these guys will wind up doing there time based on their crime, mental health issues, drug issues, etc. They also go through medical testing, etc. while there. His TDD date won’t change until he sees the board or gets a decision from them and it all depends on his crime. For example my guy got 25 yrs, he’s done 17.5 yrs (the mandatory amount of time he had to do before he could even see the board). His TDD has always showed 2022. His mandatory was up so he was presented before the parole board. They granted an early parole so now his TDD actually shows as tomorrow’s date because that’s his release date now (now we are waiting on a bed to open at the HWH).... but as of tomorrow he can be out any day now... will probably be another month or so though. So long story short, don’t put too much weight on his TDD unless he is told he has to serve all his time... he will know more about how much time once he is assigned to and sees his counselor.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Thank you for your reply. I did hear from him, about two hours after this initial post. It made me feel kind of silly. lol. His TDD has changed also. He is doing 2 years for an aggravated misdemeanor. They have his recall date listed as Oct 13th 2018 and his TDD as Nov 7th 2019. He did 5 months in county jail that he got credit for. So I am still semi confused on when he might be home, whether it's October of this year or November of next year. He doesn't have a minimum. I read online somewhere that they are reviewed a month before their recall dates? I am not sure how this all works. We weren't together when he went to prison the first time.

PS. I am SO excited for you that your guy will be home soon, if he isn't already!!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM

You won't know when he's coming home until he is reviewed as that determines if/when he will come home. If his recall is October 2018, he should hear something in late September. He will hear whether he is getting out or if they want him to do more time and will have to wait a few more months for another review. On an aggravated misdemeanor though, I doubt he will be in there that long. Just know that you won't know anything until around September, so try not to speculate or worry too much until then because there is nothing you can do about it right now.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LForney88 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I did hear from him, about two hours after this initial post. It made me feel kind of silly. lol. His TDD has changed also. He is doing 2 years for an aggravated misdemeanor. They have his recall date listed as Oct 13th 2018 and his TDD as Nov 7th 2019. He did 5 months in county jail that he got credit for. So I am still semi confused on when he might be home, whether it's October of this year or November of next year. He doesn't have a minimum. I read online somewhere that they are reviewed a month before their recall dates? I am not sure how this all works. We weren't together when he went to prison the first time.

PS. I am SO excited for you that your guy will be home soon, if he isn't already!!
Thanks for the support. My honey has to go to work release/HWH once he is out (because of his crime/amount of time served) but before he can go there a bed has to be available, so we have to wait for a bed to open up first which could be another month or two. Stupid IDOC! So today is hard, he should be out today but isn't...
Old 05-03-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddersgirl View Post
Thanks for the support. My honey has to go to work release/HWH once he is out (because of his crime/amount of time served) but before he can go there a bed has to be available, so we have to wait for a bed to open up first which could be another month or two. Stupid IDOC! So today is hard, he should be out today but isn't...
So I tried to private message you but it said you don't accept them, so here's what I wrote. haha.

Hi. I just noticed that you've commented on some of my posts and that you've also dealt with the Iowa DOC. and you probably already know this, but my husband is in Oakdale. He just got there on April 13th, for an aggravated misdemeanor. He did 5 months in county before being sent to Oakdale, his lawyer told me he had a few months left to do. Since sentences are usually cut in half when you get to Oakdale if you don't have a minimum. So he should have 6 or 7 months left to finish his "year". So, he calls me yesterday all types of upset because he "read somewhere" that 2 and 5 year misdemeanors have to serve their whole time and that he won't be home until November 2019 probably. I haven't been able to find anything or get a hold of his lawyer. I was just wondering if you'd hear anything about 2 and 5 year sentences being required to serve the whole thing in Iowa. doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. but I'd like to maybe ease his mind a little. Thanks for listening.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
So I tried to private message you but it said you don't accept them, so here's what I wrote. haha.

Hi. I just noticed that you've commented on some of my posts and that you've also dealt with the Iowa DOC. and you probably already know this, but my husband is in Oakdale. He just got there on April 13th, for an aggravated misdemeanor. He did 5 months in county before being sent to Oakdale, his lawyer told me he had a few months left to do. Since sentences are usually cut in half when you get to Oakdale if you don't have a minimum. So he should have 6 or 7 months left to finish his "year". So, he calls me yesterday all types of upset because he "read somewhere" that 2 and 5 year misdemeanors have to serve their whole time and that he won't be home until November 2019 probably. I haven't been able to find anything or get a hold of his lawyer. I was just wondering if you'd hear anything about 2 and 5 year sentences being required to serve the whole thing in Iowa. doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. but I'd like to maybe ease his mind a little. Thanks for listening.
Hi! Let me ask my guy when he calls. Heís been locked up for 17.5 years so he knows WAY more than I do. I will get back to you once I know something. Try not to worry too much.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Hi! Let me ask my guy when he calls. Heís been locked up for 17.5 years so he knows WAY more than I do. I will get back to you once I know something. Try not to worry too much.
I'm so sorry he's been in for long. My guy did 4 years on a 10 year charge before we got together, but now he's dealing with parole violation/misdemeanor. They're kind of hand and hand. I can go into further detail if you really wanna know. but basically I wasn't around when he was in the first time. He seems to think I'm going to leave him if he really has to do a year and a half. which is far from the truth, but that's why he's upset. plus he just wants to be home. Thank you for asking him. that's such a long time to be gone.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'm so sorry he's been in for long. My guy did 4 years on a 10 year charge before we got together, but now he's dealing with parole violation/misdemeanor. They're kind of hand and hand. I can go into further detail if you really wanna know. but basically I wasn't around when he was in the first time. He seems to think I'm going to leave him if he really has to do a year and a half. which is far from the truth, but that's why he's upset. plus he just wants to be home. Thank you for asking him. that's such a long time to be gone.
We had really bad weather here in Iowa yesterday (tornado/thunderstorm season) and the phones were down in Rockwell City do to a lightning bolt striking a pole. I sent him an omail with your hubby's situation so I am sure he will reply and said he will call today when the phones are back up.

Yes, he's been down a long time. I haven't been there (as his gf) the entire time but have loved him the entire time. We were together over 20 yrs ago, went through a tough situation, split up and moved on. He caught his case a few years after we split. We've always kept in touch off and on. About a yr and a half ago we reconnected and about 7 months into that we decided to give it another go. He will be home in the next month or two (his release / parole date was April 24th - now just waiting on a bed at the HWH). I'm excited to "date" the love of my life outside of those walls, no more 20 minute calls and 3-4 hour visits with strangers and CO's watching on. We both know there will be some adjusting for him (and me as well) but we are being realistic and optimistic. He never should have been there and certainly not for this long, but he believes that the time saved him from wasting his life and making some other mistakes that could have been extremely detrimental. His outlook on the time he has done is amazing. He has spent the last 10 years co-teaching classes (with counselors) and mentoring the mentally ill and first time offenders who are new to prison. He has even helped some guys over the years research and write up legal documents to help revisit their cases/charges. He use to charge for it but now just does it to help. He has used his time to help others and I know that is why he will succeed in the outside world. I'm so proud of him!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
We had really bad weather here in Iowa yesterday (tornado/thunderstorm season) and the phones were down in Rockwell City do to a lightning bolt striking a pole. I sent him an omail with your hubby's situation so I am sure he will reply and said he will call today when the phones are back up.

Yes, he's been down a long time. I haven't been there (as his gf) the entire time but have loved him the entire time. We were together over 20 yrs ago, went through a tough situation, split up and moved on. He caught his case a few years after we split. We've always kept in touch off and on. About a yr and a half ago we reconnected and about 7 months into that we decided to give it another go. He will be home in the next month or two (his release / parole date was April 24th - now just waiting on a bed at the HWH). I'm excited to "date" the love of my life outside of those walls, no more 20 minute calls and 3-4 hour visits with strangers and CO's watching on. We both know there will be some adjusting for him (and me as well) but we are being realistic and optimistic. He never should have been there and certainly not for this long, but he believes that the time saved him from wasting his life and making some other mistakes that could have been extremely detrimental. His outlook on the time he has done is amazing. He has spent the last 10 years co-teaching classes (with counselors) and mentoring the mentally ill and first time offenders who are new to prison. He has even helped some guys over the years research and write up legal documents to help revisit their cases/charges. He use to charge for it but now just does it to help. He has used his time to help others and I know that is why he will succeed in the outside world. I'm so proud of him!
You don't have to apologize to me. I'm in Iowa too. lol. The thunderstorms broke my windshield wipers so now I have to work on getting those fixed. I am not sure where Rockwell is. I'm in Waterloo. We're both from Waterloo. Thank you for helping me out. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me why 2 yr and 5 years would be required all of a sudden. He has a recall date in October, like I said before. So I just told him to stay out of trouble until then so he can be approved. and he claims barely anyone on 2 year charges get approved at hearings. We will see what happens. I can't wait until I can go visit him. I haven't seen him in person since April 12th, when I visited him at the jail. We were together together on April 9th still. (He got out on bail for 2 months - it was so nice) He is still in reception at Oakdale so I can't visit. REALLY waiting for the day I can go see him if nothing else right now! Thanks again.

I'm so glad to hear that also. Prisoners who take things well and decide to turn their lives around and do better for others and themselves are my favorite stories! I'm proud of him also.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Hey LForney, so I heard back from my guy. But first I’ll say that Rockwell City is in NW Iowa. About 30 or so miles from Fort Dodge, if you know where that is. I’m in Des Moines. Anyway, so I’m gonna paste what Chad said in here so I don’t miss anything:

“Hey babe! You can let that chick know that his counselor was right. He only has 3 months left if he did 5 months in county jail. An aggravated misdemeanor carries a 2 year sentence. With good time, it takes 8 months to discharge. So, he has less than 3 months left actually and he will be completely done with his time. The answer to someone doing all their time if they have 2 to 5 year sentences is totally false. Not sure what he was reading or hearing but that’s wrong.. I would just ask her if he only had one aggravated misdemeanor or did he have multiple convictions. If not, what I already said applies. If so, then find out all the charges and I will tell you what kind of time he will do. Cool?! Alright, love! I will talk to you tonight after you get back from the bar with Joanna Love you doll!”
Old 05-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Hey LForney, so I heard back from my guy. But first Iíll say that Rockwell City is in NW Iowa. About 30 or so miles from Fort Dodge, if you know where that is. Iím in Des Moines. Anyway, so Iím gonna paste what Chad said in here so I donít miss anything:

ďHey babe! You can let that chick know that his counselor was right. He only has 3 months left if he did 5 months in county jail. An aggravated misdemeanor carries a 2 year sentence. With good time, it takes 8 months to discharge. So, he has less than 3 months left actually and he will be completely done with his time. The answer to someone doing all their time if they have 2 to 5 year sentences is totally false. Not sure what he was reading or hearing but thatís wrong.. I would just ask her if he only had one aggravated misdemeanor or did he have multiple convictions. If not, what I already said applies. If so, then find out all the charges and I will tell you what kind of time he will do. Cool?! Alright, love! I will talk to you tonight after you get back from the bar with Joanna Love you doll!Ē
Thank you so much!! I will let him know. I'm sure anything will ease his mind at this point. I would let your guy know that he just has the one aggravated misdemeanor. He is on lifetime parole though, so he got his parole violated due to the fact that he got the misdemeanor. Although, they are hand in hand. I can explain in further detail his actual charge if you'd like. But I guess he is concerned he will have to do the whole thing because it's technically a parole violation.