Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the South Carolina prison system.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Missingmyman76's Avatar
Missingmyman76 Missingmyman76 is offline
Michael's Fiancee
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south carolina usa
Posts: 516
Thanks: 384
Thanked 271 Times in 198 Posts
Default Sanford signed reform bill June 2,2010

My bf called and told me that Sanford signed it today. So I looked it up and he did, but what does this mean for our loved ones already in? Anyone know? Some of the prisoners seem to think it means they are getting out early, but what I found does not say this. Has anyone seen anything different or that might tell us more? I have looked and can't find anything else. Thanks, Nikki


http://www.scgovernor.com/news/releases/default.htm
__________________

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
muffinhead's Avatar
muffinhead muffinhead is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina, USA
Posts: 77
Thanks: 33
Thanked 64 Times in 26 Posts
Default

I could be wrong, but, I am under the impression that there is no grandfather clause. Meaning anyone sentenced before the Bill was signed has the same sentence. At least as far as a non-violent becoming a violent crime. I don't have anything to back this up, just what I've heard. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am interested to know.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Missingmyman76's Avatar
Missingmyman76 Missingmyman76 is offline
Michael's Fiancee
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south carolina usa
Posts: 516
Thanks: 384
Thanked 271 Times in 198 Posts
Default past info

Muffinhead when they first started talking about it-- they said nonviolents would be let out first and sooner than they were suppose to but don't know when that is going to start-- before i had heard he was not even suppose to sigh it til this coming jan so just want to know when they are going to let them start getting out early. But like i said it did say before that they would be letting non violents go after it was passed just dont know when. Nikki P.S. i went back and looked at some of the earlier posts on the subject and some of them had news report links on them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM
magnolia17's Avatar
magnolia17 magnolia17 is offline
magnolia17
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Thanks: 20
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Does anyone know how and if this will have any effect on our loved ones inside and an early release? I have read everything I can find and it doesnt seem clear to me. My Husband is a first time, noviolent offender , serving time at Kirkland. I have been watching this bill for awhile and I am wondering if this will help him and other nonviloent offenders get released early. If anyone can help me with information about this, I would be so grateful.
My Blessings to you all. Thanks
Re: Sentence Reform Bill Mark Sanford signed today, June 2, 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 AM
bigcat22's Avatar
bigcat22 bigcat22 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hilton Head SC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia17 View Post
Does anyone know how and if this will have any effect on our loved ones inside and an early release? I have read everything I can find and it doesnt seem clear to me. My Husband is a first time, noviolent offender , serving time at Kirkland. I have been watching this bill for awhile and I am wondering if this will help him and other nonviloent offenders get released early. If anyone can help me with information about this, I would be so grateful.
My Blessings to you all. Thanks
Re: Sentence Reform Bill Mark Sanford signed today, June 2, 2010.
Existing sentences will stay as they are, No early release. This bill only applies to crimes from today foward. However, I believe parole will be easier to get for non violent offenders.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigcat22 For This Useful Post:
magnolia17 (06-03-2010), Missingmyman76 (06-03-2010)
  #6  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
magnolia17's Avatar
magnolia17 magnolia17 is offline
magnolia17
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13
Thanks: 20
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Another Question If you dont mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat22 View Post
Existing sentences will stay as they are, No early release. This bill only applies to crimes from today foward. However, I believe parole will be easier to get for non violent offenders.
My husband has Muscular Distrophy and has a physical handicap. Does the bill cover any early release nonviolent, 1st time offenders with medical issues? Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
bigcat22's Avatar
bigcat22 bigcat22 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hilton Head SC
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia17 View Post
My husband has Muscular Distrophy and has a physical handicap. Does the bill cover any early release nonviolent, 1st time offenders with medical issues? Thanks so much for your help.
There are provisions for terminal illness. I understand ther are other bills for early release working there way through congree. I don't know about their status. Parole should be easier to get. You might want to call Monica Wallace at State Classification. She might be able to help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics