Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Alabama prison system.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 AM
DebAKirk

Question Rumors-Non violent releases?

I just this evening heard rumblings that supposedly Alabama is going to release 5,000 inmates incarcerated for non violent crimes sometime this year. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard it or how to find out if there is any truth to it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM

PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,565 Times in 6,759 Posts

Hi there, its actually 3000 prisoners that could be released. I have posted the link to the thread about it here. 3000 prisoners

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
Illinoisgurl70 (05-14-2011), sage26 (03-07-2012)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
DebAKirk

Thank you, I appreciate you very much!!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM

Just prison rumors, they spring up every few years.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cember View Post
Just prison rumors, they spring up every few years.

Not rumors it's been on the news and officials have been interviewed.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Donation Award 

It has been on the news and in the papers but no decision has been reached as yet. I hope it does come to more than just a rumour

Last edited by lisainengland; 05-15-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 AM

I have been involved in DOC for 12 years. I have seen many of these rumors come and go. The talk about letting non-violent offenders out isn't new, it's continual, it just only gets put into a newspaper article once every few years, which makes the inmates freak out (understandably so). What the governor will do is create a task force to examine the situation. They will suggest to the parole board that the inmate population needs to be reduced by 3,000 inmates over the course of the next 3 years. Then the parole board does whatever they well please with that "suggestion". In the past they have brought some non-violent inmates up for parole early when given such a "suggestion", but their job capabilities are proven when they seemingly only release the ones that re-offend within a short amount of time and come right back into the system. So what good did all that do? I have seen this cycle time and time again, trust me. I know I sound like a pessimist, but that's just because I'm experienced with all of this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cember For This Useful Post:
jblove (05-17-2011), KAREEMAHE (06-03-2011), Kelleysgirl (06-06-2011), lisainengland (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Donation Award 

Thanks for the input cember. I would like to see the rumour become true but I appreciate your experience.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Default 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigsGurl63 View Post
I just this evening heard rumblings that supposedly Alabama is going to release 5,000 inmates incarcerated for non violent crimes sometime this year. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard it or how to find out if there is any truth to it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
yes i here that too but the bill have not passed maybe next month my man is been lockup for 25yrs and was to get out last nov. but they said he lost good time in 1997 so he now is to get out in feb unless the bill is passed he is sick now with heart problems and need to get home so we are hopping soon he is 58yrs old he got 25 yrs for saling drugs 3strick law crazy but he have done his time i hate ALABAMA PRISONS I FROM FLA
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I have been involved in DOC for 12 years. I have seen many of these rumors come and go. The talk about letting non-violent offenders out isn't new, it's continual, it just only gets put into a newspaper article once every few years, which makes the inmates freak out (understandably so). What the governor will do is create a task force to examine the situation. They will suggest to the parole board that the inmate population needs to be reduced by 3,000 inmates over the course of the next 3 years. Then the parole board does whatever they well please with that "suggestion". In the past they have brought some non-violent inmates up for parole early when given such a "suggestion", but their job capabilities are proven when they seemingly only release the ones that re-offend within a short amount of time and come right back into the system. So what good did all that do? I have seen this cycle time and time again, trust me. I know I sound like a pessimist, but that's just because I'm experienced with all of this.

The bill has passed what do u think?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM

I think the proof is in the pudding.. we will see how the numbers pan out long-term
Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I think the proof is in the pudding.. we will see how the numbers pan out long-term

I know let's see if it's all talk... my boyfriend goes up for reclassification in the morning... i pray all goes well... ugh but idk
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Best of luck with that! It's easy for me to become a negative nelly after dealing with the DOC all this time, but you know, there is always hope and it's important to hang onto that.
The Following User Says Thank You to cember For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Did the bill really pass? If so when?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Best of luck with that! It's easy for me to become a negative nelly after dealing with the DOC all this time, but you know, there is always hope and it's important to hang onto that.

i havent heard from him today, but hopefully he'll call soon... i understand its hard to keep getting heartbroken over and over.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Donation Award 

I just read this article about the possibles releases and how they will work

Huntsville, AL -
Overcrowded prisons, an under funded corrections system, and too many court cases for judges to get to in a timely fashion - these problems have stacked up for decades.
Now there's a plan on the table to fix them, but not everyone is on board.

Corrections Crisis (Full story )

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
nia&long (06-17-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 AM

There isn't any truth in this... It's hypothetical, it's theoretical... There are no orders to review or release inmates. They have to have more probation officers to even consider early release. However, I personally feel that they will seek federal funding of some kind to build more facilities instead of releasing to solve overcrowding.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM

Well, from the way it looks if Alabama doesn't do something soon about it's prison overcrowding the feds are going to do it for them like they did in California! I think it's coming. The ADOC don't get in any hurry about anything, but if they don't fix this problem, they won't be fixing anything. That's for sure. California was only overpopulated by I believe 135% when they released 30,000 due to cruel and inhumane conditions. Alabama is now operating at 195% capacity. From what I hear, the feds have already warned them do something now or they will do it for them! I am looking for something to happen by the end of the end. And these so called "rumors" are being started by the lieutenants at the prison. It came from their mouths. I hope the feds come in and take it over since we have a bunch of incompetent morons running this state judicial system! But it's just going to happen again over and over as long as the judges don't stop worrying more about their reelections and what people say about them instead of people's lives!!! That is what infuriates me the most!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM

Those "Fed" rumors have been circulating the prisons since my husband was locked up 17 years ago. It's not going to happen unless there is some kind of major riot (that's what happened in CA) or the outbreak of some communicable disease. What they will do is use the overcrowding to ship inmates out of state to privately run prisons and get Federal funding for it (they did that 7 years ago, then again 5 years ago) or they will use it to get the funding they need to build more prisons.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM

The reason they did it in Cali was because so many lawsuits were filed by the inmates and family for cruel and inhumane living conditions and because of the lack of medical and mental health care from being so overloaded. But, yes, communicable diseases do go along with those type of conditions. That would go without saying, because disease can become an epidemic in such close quarters with so many people. Maybe more of us need to file lawsuits against Alabama, flood their desks with letters, or anything to get something done. But I know for a FACT that the feds were at Limestome CF about 4 weeks ago and the lieutenants at Limestone were in meetings in Montgomery a week ago for days and it was said it was Luther Strange (and no that did not come from the prison population, but a credible source), so something is up. I really don't see them building new prisons. Sue Cobb has already stated, before she resigned, that NOBODY on the committee is for building more prisons so it won't happen any time soon. But it takes forever to build one anyway. They have to do something about this problem now because there is NOWHERE else to put anyone and they are flooding into the county jails by the handfuls every day, even though most are on the most ridiculous charges I have ever seen! We already owe Louisiana for letting us use their prisons from years ago, so until that debt is paid they won't be going there for sure! Also, they will NOT get their fed funding if they don't do something about this problem first. They don't give fed funding TO do something about the problem. I have an idea, maybe they can come up with just "one more law" to offset all the other ludicrous laws Alabama already has just to put someone in the system. For a state that wants to get rid of their prisoners, they sure are making it so just about everyone goes in at one time or another. I believe that it's just a "pass the blame" game right now. None of the state's politicians want to make a decision and are wanting the feds to clean up their mess because then it won't look bad on them when it's reelection time as being stamped "soft on crime". Everyone worries about their reputation before they worry about human lives, and they all wonder why people don't trust a politician and think they are all liars and snakes. Pffff! It's sickening. To be honest, if the state is not going to change some laws for stupid stuff, then it really falls in the judge's laps to try and do something about this to alleviate some of the problem. They ultimately make the decisions and can do whatever they want. It's about time they start accepting responsibility for some of the problem they have created and adding to, but they are so afraid they won't be reelected if they just DO THEIR JOB! I could go on and on about this, but I'm just working myself up so I'll stop.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I don't disagree with anything you're saying. I've just been around long enough to have seen these "Fed" hopeful rumors pass through dozens of times. But I'm sure a lot of these guys need that hope to get them through the day, especially those far from their EOS date. If anyone does a forum search for the Feds taking over, you'll see it's been brought up again and again over the years. The officers are some of the worst culprits for starting the rumors.
Whenever it comes up now, I just smile and shrug it off. At first I got really hopeful when a glimmer of the Fed rumor was dangled in front of me. But all these years later, I don't believe for a second anymore that it will really happen and I just focus on the EOS date. However I hope that someday someone can tell me I was wrong.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Default Alabama to release inmates in January.....Is it true or just another rumor?

I talked to my husband today and he said he has been hearing that Alabama is gonna release alot of non-violent offenders in January 2012....Does anybody know if there is any truth to that or is it just another rumor?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Donation Award 

I hope it isnt another rumour but I havent heard or read anything confirming it

Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
His Ride or Die Ole Lady
Donation Award 

That would be AWESOME if thats true...my hunnys a non-violent offender!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM

That would be just lovely!