Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 10-23-2019, 04:08 PM

Default TRT -- Federal System: Is there any hope of continuing treatment?

I was recently sentenced, still awaiting designation; however it'll be more than likely Pensacola or Coleman Min/Low.

I have been on TRT for 6 years, with an active prescription for Testosterone as well as a letter of medical necessity that I submitted during my PSR period.

Is there any hope of continuing treatment even on some sort of scale while in the Federal system? I only received 12 months, but 12 months coming off Testosterone cold turkey will be a miserable experience and potentially a dangerous one.

From my understanding they offer hormone therapy for those who decided to switch genders, so it would hopefully be available to those diagnosed with hypogonadism as well.

Any input?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,849 Times in 13,142 Posts

Maybe yes, maybe no. Since it is in your PSI report, be sure to point that out to the doctor (probably a physician's assistant) who conducts the medical triage when you self surrender. That will determine what prescription meds you will receive until your call out to medical in a week or so, which is when your ongoing maintenance prescriptions will be set. Testosterone supplements are included in the bop's RX formulary, which is helpful, but the decision of if you will receive it or not will be decided by the local medical folks.

bop RX formulary.
https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/formulary.pdf

I have some experience with this issue. Initially, at FDC Miami, I received the topical gel while I was there. Once I arrived at my designated prison, (which is where you will probably self surrender), and also at the subsequent prison where I served most of my sentence, I was never again given that medication.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks a lot for the response, it's good to see on the formulary and hopefully I am able to receive treatment.
The Following User Says Thank You to TPA1990 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You are definitely your best, and probably only advocate, so don't give up easily.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:45 PM

I am very familiar with dose vs bloodwork yields. Would you advise keeping up with my current treatment up until entering or let everything crash in the hope they do bloodwork and see that my levels are next to nothing?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:15 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It's always a guessing game, but having your PSI report as verification is a plus. Stopping your medications now, or possibly later, is up to you to decide.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-25-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM

What do you think the likelihood of them running my bloodwork (for testosterone count) will be? I assume they run a standard blood panel on all new inmates, but I think I want to regulate my dosages to hopefully confirm my "medical necessity" despite the other supporting documents.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It may depend on where you self surrender. Some intake prisons, like the federal detention centers, do run additional medical tests, including X-rays, but none of the actual prisons I cycled through ever did. Prescriptions were determined during interviews with the medical staff, and never once did I have blood drawn at any of them.

The only consistent medical test was the annual "skin" test for tuberculosis.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It may depend on where you self surrender. Some intake prisons, like the federal detention centers, do run additional medical tests, including X-rays, but none of the actual prisons I cycled through ever did. Prescriptions were determined during interviews with the medical staff, and never once did I have blood drawn at any of them.

The only consistent medical test was the annual "skin" test for tuberculosis.
Thanks for the response, I did read about the TB skin test too. I already had to get them annually for work, and just did this last month. Guess I'll be getting tested again.
The Following User Says Thank You to TPA1990 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2019)