Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Kentucky that do not fit into any other Kentucky sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM

Default She doesn't have shoes or socks

My daughter has been incarcerated in a county jail for 2.5 weeks now, and has been barefoot during this time. I've tried to bring this to their attention, and inquire as to how she could get some shoes, or even just a pair of socks, but have not gotten anywhere with it so far. Has anyone else has similar experiences, or know what I could do that might work to get my daughter something to wear on her feet? Thanks.

Last edited by MaryAnn70; 10-30-2012 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: title goof
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Account Closed

Hi SandyH: I have never heard of that. Sounds inhumane to deny footwear. It seems like she might be able to order some from the commissary list or I would try calling someone at your local Government office. That usually ruffles a few feathers & get the ball rolling for you. Hope all goes well. GOD bless you & your loved one.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,042 Times in 16,605 Posts

The county facility that I was in took all your underclosthes (socks, undies, bra) at intake. These things had to be ordered through commissary...however, the other inmates are usually really really good about letting you borrow at least socks and long johns (its c-c-c-cold in there!) until those things can be pruchased. As for shoes, all that was issued was a pair of hard plastic flip-flops (those are worn everywhere, especially in the shower).

Depending on what day you went in, it may take a good 10 days (or longer) to get your first commissarry, as it was only ordered once a week then passed out a few days later.

Does your daughter have money on her books for ordering?

Welcome to PTO!

EDIT: is she in a Ky county facility?

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 10-30-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome. They took all of my daughter's underclothes at intake as well. I did put some money on her account so she would have some for things that she might need (shoes and/or socks would definitely be one of these things) But she hasn't been able to purchase any. Katlyn did have one single sock for two days that she would wear on one foot for a while, then on the other. I would be happy if she just had the hard plastic flip fliops like you mentioned, for shoes, but socks would at least keep her feet warm. Oh, and yes she is in a ky facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
The county facility that I was in took all your underclosthes (socks, undies, bra) at intake. These things had to be ordered through commissary...however, the other inmates are usually really really good about letting you borrow at least socks and long johns (its c-c-c-cold in there!) until those things can be pruchased. As for shoes, all that was issued was a pair of hard plastic flip-flops (those are worn everywhere, especially in the shower).

Depending on what day you went in, it may take a good 10 days (or longer) to get your first commissarry, as it was only ordered once a week then passed out a few days later.

Does your daughter have money on her books for ordering?

Welcome to PTO!

EDIT: is she in a Ky county facility?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I've moved your thread to the Ky forum

Most county facilities will take a % of any money put on an imate's books. This county takes 25%...some take more, some less.

The smallest size (tennis)shoes on commissary at the facility I was at was men's size 10. I never ordered any shoes for that reason and just wore socks (in the cell); socks with the flip flops (out of the cell) and the flip flops by themselves (in the shower).

I don't understand how they can not at least give your daughter (and all the inmates) at least shower shoes. Or that the other inmates haven't helped her out

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 10-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: add comment/sp
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't understand how they can not at least give your daughter (and all the inmates) at least shower shoes. Or that the other inmates haven't helped her out
I don't either. From what Katlyn has said, there is only one other girl that doesn't have shoes or socks either, but that everyone else has at least shower shoes and socks. Katlyn's feet are so dirty!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

The shower shoes should have been issued at intake, its mandatory that they wear something on their feet (besides socks) to leave the cell. She should have to go to Medical within so many days of intake. There are medical forms to fill out and a TB test to be taken. She can't go outside for rec w/o shoes. Has she asked the guards? What do they tell you when you call??

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The shower shoes should have been issued at intake, its mandatory that they wear something on their feet (besides socks) to leave the cell. She should have to go to Medical within so many days of intake. There are medical forms to fill out and a TB test to be taken. She can't go outside for rec w/o shoes. Has she asked the guards? What do they tell you when you call??
If it is rec, I know she goes barefoot in the common area and places. She said something to one of the staff once, and they said that they would try to see if they had any [shoes] and then joked that her feet might be too big.. They've told me that the matter would be checked into, but nothing has been done about it so far.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I'd be on the phone with everyone I could think of....the Jailer, the County Clerk, the Mayor, the County Attorney etc. Its a health risk for her to run around the facility barefoot; its a health risk (mersa) for her to shower without shower shoes; its probably against their own freak'n policy for an inmate to be outside the cell with no shoes. Yep. I'd be shout'n it from the rooftop. Oh. And is she has an attorney, have the attorney send the Jailer a nice "give her some damned shoes" letter

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I miss my son!!!

When I had concerns about my son at county I would go to the jail during regular working hours. Then I would ask to speak to "Major so & so" who was over the jail. If my concerns weren't "heard" I would go to the sheriff as he is over the jail as well as the "major". If I'd had to go higher I would have with no problem but didn't need to do so.

To each his/her own though so do what's comfortable to you.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using PrisonTalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler's Momma For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I miss my son!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli
I'd be on the phone with everyone I could think of....the Jailer, the County Clerk, the Mayor, the County Attorney etc. Its a health risk for her to run around the facility barefoot; its a health risk (mersa) for her to shower without shower shoes; its probably against their own freak'n policy for an inmate to be outside the cell with no shoes. Yep. I'd be shout'n it from the rooftop. Oh. And is she has an attorney, have the attorney send the Jailer a nice "give her some damned shoes" letter
I agree. My son was there for punishment for his choice he made but he is still a HUMAN BEING as others are too.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using PrisonTalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler's Momma For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-30-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Where's my mail ! lol

WOW! I hope this all gets resolved for her sake. Sorry to read these cruel intentions.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Boone County doesn't issue socks or shower shoes (unless you are ICE and being deported) and you can wait a week or more before you can get them off of canteen.
Sometimes you get a "welcome" bag with a little packet of shampoo, toothpaste and a mini bar of soap. (ICE people get them weekly for free)
I ended up ordering 15 pairs of socks (7 for me, and handed out the rest to people who had none) and shower shoes where under $2.
Boone County let you go to indoor rec without shoes, go to visits and medical without shoes or socks (I know I had to see my lawyer the first time that way.) and if you had to go to court, you wore your shower shoes (the only shoes you were allowed to have unless brought from another jail, and only then, slipper types) if you had no shoes and went to court, you got a pair from a big box of used old saddles by the booking door, and when you got back you had to toss them back into the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to vampyr1313 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-01-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,091 Times in 568 Posts

Surely this has gotton resolved by now. I don't have alot of experience with the county jails in Kentucky, but the justice system are real interested when it comes to safety. This is a big health hazaard as well as safety issue.

I remember once on a visit to KSP, I was sitting at the table and I was playing with my shoe as it was hurting my foot. Just kind of flipping it on and off and the CO came up and told my hubby to tell me I had to stop or leave. So of course I stopped.
Hopefully this lady is out of jail by now and rest assured in any prison in Kentucky she will be issued state shoes.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 10-29-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyr1313 View Post
Boone County doesn't issue socks or shower shoes (unless you are ICE and being deported) and you can wait a week or more before you can get them off of canteen.
Sometimes you get a "welcome" bag with a little packet of shampoo, toothpaste and a mini bar of soap. (ICE people get them weekly for free)
I ended up ordering 15 pairs of socks (7 for me, and handed out the rest to people who had none) and shower shoes where under $2.
Boone County let you go to indoor rec without shoes, go to visits and medical without shoes or socks (I know I had to see my lawyer the first time that way.) and if you had to go to court, you wore your shower shoes (the only shoes you were allowed to have unless brought from another jail, and only then, slipper types) if you had no shoes and went to court, you got a pair from a big box of used old saddles by the booking door, and when you got back you had to toss them back into the box.
Youre right about them not issuing shoes or socks, I spent 6 months at Boone county jail in Burlington, Kentucky. At intake they never even issued me underwear. That was my first and only time in prison, i was scared. Wasnt really sure what to do. Or how canteen worked. Anyways long story short i was barefoot (and underwear-less) the entire 6 months i was in there. I will say too, there was SEVERAL of us who were barefoot in there!!.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Hi Michael_78, socks, underwear, and bras had to be ordered through commissary at the county facility I was in....but shower shoes were issued at intake.

County jails that house state inmates are supposed to be held to certain standards. I understand trying to keep complaining to minimum while locked up, but once released I truly wish folks would contact KY DOC's The Division of Local Facilities

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-02-2019, 11:22 PM

It wasnt really that bad being barefoot in there. Like i said there was several of us barefoot in there. They gave you shoes if you had to go to court like the other person here said, but once you got back to the prison you had to take them off and put them in a box. I imagine the womans wing was probably the same in that there was several woman woman inmates barefoot in there too. I can say for certainty there was atleast 10 of us barefoot when we were in there. The floors in there were surprisingly clean (but cold!). In my 6 plus months in there barefoot the entire time not once did i or any of the other inmates who were barefoot in there contract any sort of fungus or whatever else people worry about in prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael_78 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-03-2019)