Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Parole, Probation & Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM
Полезный дурак

Default Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Help

Canada forum is dead, so perhaps not worth it to post here, either.

When the Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals legislation became law, it brought with it the amendment that foreign nationals could not visit Canada if they had an inadmissible relative due to security reasons, human rights violations or organized crime.

A fact sheet noted that this had not yet been implemented [2013] cause it needed additional regulatory changes to do so.

Since that time, has any thing changed? Direct me to any relevant changes? Is it implemented strongly? I know that Trudeau took office in 2015, did that matter at all? Seems not so cause a letter from the Canadian Bar Association dated 2018 continues to demand remedies to other areas of that legislation.

Should I just make a legal appointment, and look dumb if information is readily available?

I would like to organize a visit by my in - laws, but it would truly suck if they were deemed inadmissible for such a reason.

As a side, I know I have faced more stringent examinations traveling since my husband’s sentencing, but I am a legal resident, and not deemed inadmissible, at least up to this point. I chalk it up to my citizenship and ISIS in the mountains there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (11-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 12:38 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,996 Times in 7,659 Posts

Don,t worry about looking dumb. Attorneys would much rather you ask questions of them rather than make assumptions or wander into incorrect information available on the web.

I am not a Canadian lawyer, so I really cannot help you other than to encourage you to buy an hour of an attorney's time and get answers you can rely on rather than random interpretations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
maytayah (10-17-2019), Ne Plach’ (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Полезный дурак

Hi and thank you, yourself.

Yes, we [well, my husband] has 2 immigration attorneys here and •embarrassed• they have done a lot of hand holding over the last year for me. re : dumb questions from me. Of which I am grateful. . .

So, this may simply be another case of that. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,996 Times in 7,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
Hi and thank you, yourself.

Yes, we [well, my husband] has 2 immigration attorneys here and •embarrassed• they have done a lot of hand holding over the last year for me. re : dumb questions from me. Of which I am grateful. . .

So, this may simply be another case of that. Thanks.
No worries. We would much rather answer a simple question than try to repair the damage or expectations caused by misinformation. Makes us feel like we actually know something and all that education was worth it.

Don't feel like it's a dumb question. It,s a question, a legal question. Asking the attorney is the smart thing to do, especially when it comes to how and when new legislation is getting implemented.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ne Plach’ (10-18-2019), patchouli (10-18-2019), sidewalker (10-18-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,556 Times in 645 Posts

I've also noticed Canada thread is relatively quiet the last year or so. I just saw this thread. Never knew about this act. Tightening requirements on who is allowed to visit Canada and more authority to deport permanent residents who have committed a crime. I see what you are worried about. Foreign nationals are inadmissable to Canada if they have an inadmissable family member.

I have dual citizenship. I receive scrutiny I should not be subject to when traveling into Canada. Didn't get that in the past. Unfortunately new restrictions and new laws like this on travel, visiting, living elsewhere is becoming a trend in all countries around the world. It will impact those of us who have connection to / involvement in criminal justice system more than others. I don't like it.

I hope you can find a lawyer who can give you good opinion on whether you should organize that visit or not. That is a tough one.