Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:40 AM

Default NYC Jail Visits

I'm wondering if anyone here has information about visitation to NYC jails, namely facilities on Rikers Island. According to the nyc.gov website, visitation has been suspended since March 18th, but does anyone know if that is accurate? Was it brought back then suspended again?

Also if anyone has experience with televisits to facilities on Rikers I'd like to hear about that too. How hard is it to get a time slot?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlc View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here has information about visitation to NYC jails, namely facilities on Rikers Island. According to the nyc.gov website, visitation has been suspended since March 18th, but does anyone know if that is accurate? Was it brought back then suspended again?

Also if anyone has experience with televisits to facilities on Rikers I'd like to hear about that too. How hard is it to get a time slot?
You could probably call the jail and ask them if visiting is enforced again they probably never updated the system i no they are moving inmates from there to downstate
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
carlc (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,218 Posts

There is a form online for video visits. Visits have been shut down since March per their website.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
carlc (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:44 AM

I have been trying to get a video visit since November 4th , they called once to confirm a time for me and then when the time came said that due to covid they were canceling it (Idk why as it was a FaceTime visit ) . I haven’t gotten a call back since to confirm any of the times . I sent in a bunch of different forms with dates
Old 11-21-2020, 08:38 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,233 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstarburst View Post
I have been trying to get a video visit since November 4th , they called once to confirm a time for me and then when the time came said that due to covid they were canceling it (Idk why as it was a FaceTime visit ) . I havenít gotten a call back since to confirm any of the times . I sent in a bunch of different forms with dates
Remember that video visits also need staff, and if Rikers is hot then they are low staffed. Keep letter writing to keep lines open.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstarburst View Post
I have been trying to get a video visit since November 4th , they called once to confirm a time for me and then when the time came said that due to covid they were canceling it (Idk why as it was a FaceTime visit ) . I havenít gotten a call back since to confirm any of the times . I sent in a bunch of different forms with dates
thanks for sharing this...its what I figured one issue with the system might be.
Ms Sunny makes a good point about it possibly being a staffing issue.
I submitted a couple questions to the DOC press office about who monitors and regulates the calls and how many devices are in each facility. I can share that info here when I hear back (if I hear back lol)

I hope you get a chance to talk to your loved one soon!!
Old 11-21-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Remember that video visits also need staff, and if Rikers is hot then they are low staffed. Keep letter writing to keep lines open.
Thatís such a great point . I definitely didnít think about that , I was just thinking that we werenít in person so I wouldnít be exposing him or anyone else to anything but thatís also another factor !! . I was on the FaceTime and I saw the visiting room and chair where he was supposed to be and after a few the screen cut off and then I got a call from the officer or whoever it was . I was hoping they would assign me another slot since it wasnít my fault it was cancelled but I had to start all over again with the televisit requests
Old 11-21-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlc View Post
thanks for sharing this...its what I figured one issue with the system might be.
Ms Sunny makes a good point about it possibly being a staffing issue.
I submitted a couple questions to the DOC press office about who monitors and regulates the calls and how many devices are in each facility. I can share that info here when I hear back (if I hear back lol)

I hope you get a chance to talk to your loved one soon!!

Thank you so much !! You as well ! I can also send in some questions or whatever it is we need to get these visits back on . Iím new to this but Iíll help however I can