Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Oklahoma prison & jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Holding mail at Mabel Basset?

Does anyone know if in the last year or so at Mabel Bassett if the inmates weren't allowed to have their mail for some reason? I wrote my friend once, never got a response, then wrote her again. She wrote back saying she never got the letter. I wrote again, no response, again, but no response. I finally wrote to her a third time, and decided if I didn't hear from her again, then she probably didn't want to write back. I can see the mail getting lost in the prison system once, but not a total of four times. Could they be messing with her on purpose? Her ex husband is a police officer, and I wonder if maybe he got wind someone was writing to her, and is just trying to make her life an even bigger hell then it already is? He was abusive while they were married, and she finally ran off when he pulled a gun to her head. He'd hit her before, but she's a brawny, good sized girl and was getting toughened up to that, so he used his weapon. She then moved in with a man, and her and her boyfriend arranged the mans murder she moved in with. She got caught and isn't up for parole until around 2040.
Should I keep trying to write to her, or would it be considered stalking on my part? I'd like to think that if she didn't want to write to me anymore, which is unlikely, that she'd write me a letter saying so. I am just suspicious the prison isn't letting her have them, and I don't think I'd get an honest answer if I contacted them directly. I have ZERO faith in the justice system at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 02:59 AM

I wrote you in private - we might have the same pen pal. I don't know if they are holding mail at M.B., but I haven't heard from my friend in a long time.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +VERDE+ View Post
I wrote you in private - we might have the same pen pal. I don't know if they are holding mail at M.B., but I haven't heard from my friend in a long time.
I wonder if there's any way to call them and get even a remotely honest answer? I look up her info from time to time on the Oklahoma department of corrections website, and it doesn't have an updated photo as of yet, but it also doesn't have any of her stats as changed. Usually, if someone dies in prison, they'll either delete everything, or they will have something listed on there as inactive or some such thing. But literally nothing has changed on her info page. I sent her a birthday card for her birthday, and then wrote her one, maybe two times after that, but I haven't written back since August.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:20 AM

I really hope she's doing fine. It could be that she's simply out of stationary to write back. I will send her a card and I can see if I can make a little donation, I don't think she has anyone supporting her? As far as I could understand from her letters she and her kids are not close(?). But she always talked about them fondly. Let's keep in touch in case one of us succeeds in reaching her.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Donation Award 

I don''t know anything about your problem EXCEPT It's illegal for someone, Anyone to hold mail , including prison's! She may be just flat having a hard time adjusting or again No money !
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +VERDE+ View Post
I really hope she's doing fine. It could be that she's simply out of stationary to write back. I will send her a card and I can see if I can make a little donation, I don't think she has anyone supporting her? As far as I could understand from her letters she and her kids are not close(?). But she always talked about them fondly. Let's keep in touch in case one of us succeeds in reaching her.
We sent her some money back in the very beginning when we first started writing to her, but my husband hasn't had work in a few years now, so we're a bit strapped for cash. She's never mentioned it though. I just hope she's at least getting my letters. Someone on here mentioned that it's illegal for anyone, even the prison to hold back mail, but that certainly doesn't mean they aren't doing it. Don't know what it's like in your country, but in this country the law enforcement has gotten way out of hand with the "God complex" in thinking they can just make up laws or not obey them as they see fit. I'm going to write her again,and send her a Christmas card. Writing is therapeutic for me also, not just for her. Somehow, when I get down and depressed, writing to her helps me get back on proper footing in realizing that I really don't have it bad at all. No matter how much I want to mope around. Besides, I figure it doesn't have to be a two way street with her writing back. She might still enjoy getting the letters, and if the day comes she doesn't, she can write telling me to stop.