Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Indiana.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Question Miami Correctional Facility

Can anyone tell me about MCF? My guy just moved there yesterday for the next ?? years. I know about the basic visitation and location, but does anyone have the inside scoop? Is it a bad or decent place? Any lessons? I worry so much about him.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Hi my love, welcome to PTO, my guy is not in MCF so I cant help you there...just wanted to welcome you to PTO...someone will be along to answer any and all of your questions...might take til monday, though, being as its the weekend a lot of people go visiting...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 04-08-2005, 04:15 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,928 Times in 951 Posts

I can tell you about Miami as I used to work there. It is pretty much controlled movement. They are alowed out from 6;30 until around 7;30 and then back out from 8;15 until around 10;30, now this is different on weekends and holiday. They are alowed out at 1;00 and I think until count again but dont' know. The food is lousy, and I mean real bad so you might want to send him money for commissary. They have several time cut programs that he can get involved in. but is he as a long time to go i would suggest he enter college to get the biggest time cuts. Any thing you want to know feel free to ask or PM me.
offenderlover
Old 04-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Hello I am also new to PTO, and my baby is in MCF, everything she said is very tru, my baby is in the college program and will be recieving a big time cut actually when he is done he will walk out the door as for visits i have not had any problems with it, they usually give me right at 2hrs. She is so right about the food, i send him money every friday for commin. So that is a good idea. Their phone calls are 30 min and where i am its $9.00 a call, which is really cheap compared to some of them. We are getting married soon, as soon as i find out all i need to do Goood luck to you! I may see you there and not know it
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 PM

Welcome to PTO. My man is in K block at MCF. He hates the place, but he has said that if you stay on good behavior its not so bad. The only thing is that they are only out of their cells from 6:16pm to 7:30pm and then again 8:15pm to 10:30pm. In his block there are only 5 phones for 150 prisoners and they have a schedule to go by that is hung up near the phones and they have to sign the sheet. If they don't sign, they don't call. I just got a letter from him yesterday telling me his block was on lockdown due to a fight, and that happened Monday night. I think maybe they are still on lockdown for I have not gotten a phone call all week and that's not like him, lock downs and hospital are the only things that keeps him from calling!! They have to pay for everything, like shoes, tv, radio, stamps, envelopes, etc. I know he has mentioned that there's a new way of doing commissary now. Pictures are taken once a month at visitation. My regular day of visits is Thursday, which I get there before 10:30am, if I don't and arrive between 10:30-11:30, you have to wait till head count is done before they can visit. My man has been there since Nov. and hasn't really complained much, only about the out of cell time and the phone problems but other than that he says its an ok place so far. Hope this helps, if you need any more info I will try and help as much as I can.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I have been visiting this site for the past couple of weeks, and I am so grateful that I did find PTO. Just seeing that I am not in this alone means SO much to me. Thank you PTO!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 AM

MCF to treat inmates addicted to meth, or, there goes the neighborhood

PERU, Ind. -- A north-central Indiana prison would soon be used to treat and rehabilitate inmates addicted to methamphetamine, correction officials said.

Miami Correctional Facility's 204 beds would be used for inmates who could have their sentences reduced up to six months if they participate in the treatment program, officials said.

"Methamphetamine poses a severe and urgent threat to public health and safety," said J. David Donahue, commissioner of the Indiana Department of Correction. "Our team is committed to any matters concerning the public safety and public justice, and will do everything possible to help find solutions."

Jackson County Sheriff Jerry Hounshel said Wednesday that meetings between Gov. Mitch Daniels and local officials whose communities have been hard hit by methamphetamine use and dealing helped come up with the idea. The prison is located about 60 miles north of Indianapolis off U.S. 31.

Hounshel and sheriffs and prosecutors from counties in western and southern Indiana met with Daniels earlier this year. During the meetings, Daniels agreed to lend state support to efforts to fight the manufacture of meth, Hounshel said.

Hounshel said that many of those arrested for meth use and making are repeat offenders and often claim the only way they have to make money is by making and selling the highly addictive stimulant.

"In the long term, our goal is to reunite these people with society," Hounshel said.

Methamphetamine production is a growing problem locally, statewide and nationwide, authorities say.

(til the next time)

Cyndi

Last edited by Wingy; 04-10-2005 at 04:13 AM..
Old 04-10-2005, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info Cyndi!! I had heard something about that program, but not much. I don't get the Peru paper or the Logansport paper. My man is in for meth, but for possession and they tried to get him for making it but couldn't. He was never addicted to the drug luckily.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:01 PM

Hey I'm not sure if you are aware yet about the commissary deal? they have to have the money on their books by thursday they can order up to 35.00 (it was just recently changed) a week in food. They just added some new things on their list too. My guy has been there for more than a minute now i was just there last week to see him the first day i went was cool no problems the second time (if you leave a certain distance away you can ask for a "special" visit, it can be a two hour visit and two visits within the 15 days) the co's at the table were giving me a real hard time - this was the first bad experience i had with employees there. When i told my guy he told me there is a lot of the co's who are on power trips they just act that way but then there are a lot of real cool ones who as long as you don't give them a hard time and listen they treat you with some kind of respect.
Hey did your guy get a tv yet? do you know about that yet? if not let me tell you real quick they have to purchase their own tv, there is no place for them to watch tv i think it's still 250. orders go out only once a month. He should speak to his counsler. if he doesn't have one he may get lucky and his bunkie might have o:ne my guy has one and he is nice enough to share it. oh and mail is during that 7:30--8:15 is when they get their mail. no mail on saturdays. they can use the phone during their time 6:15-7:30, 8:15 -10:30.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:15 PM

Wow! You all have been so GREAT! I'm going to call MCF this week but as long as you all don't mind answering questions, I'd like to continue asking. Do I have to wait to be approved on his visitor list to send him money? How do I send him money? How long before he was able to call to call for the first time? When I do go to visit can I take anything to him? Sorry to be such a pest, I just hate having to wait for the unknown.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 PM

My son was transferred to Miami in August. Orientation can take a week or two. He'll be able to call as soon as he's out of that. If you were on his approved visitor list before, that's still good. On visits, get there well before 10:30. You can wear NO jewelry except wedding ring. Be prepared to take shoes off and go through metal detector. You can take NOTHING inside with you except the key to the locker where you store everything including your car keys and up to $10 in quarters. They have changer but it rarely works. Poor selection in vending machines so don't go hungry. Food at Miami is worse than lousy and quantity is very small. I send money for commissary. You MUST send US Postal Money Order, all others will be returned. Commissary list was just revised. After my son ordered they advised most of the "new" items weren't available for ordering. Go figure! Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to help. Family visits are another story if you have children.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Anthony's love

i cant believe the phone calls are $9.00 per calls. in florida its only $1.75 per calls. and inmates are allowed to have up to $100 dollars a week in their account and visits are both saturday and sunday from 8 30 to 3 pm. its crazy how different prisons are in different states!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

My husband is in Medaryville and said there are about 20 guys moving to Miami to go thru the meth program there. They have a drug rehab program in Medaryville, but they are focusing on sending guys to Miami that are in because of Meth. Now, while the 6 month time cut is good (the same amount for attending the drug rehab at Medaryville), the guys in Medaryville are used to being able to wander the grounds and have the least amount of security I have seen since my husband has been incarcerated, so the transfer is not setting well with them. I saw on the news last night "That Man Mitch" talking about his involvement in the new drug program. I am so glad my husband is just one of those old hippies who had a pot habit and not with pills or meth! I believe the transfers are going to be happening fairly quickly. I will let you know if I hear anything else about the moves.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

Just the thought of going back to being searched and having to worry about my jewelry and clothing is a pain in the butt for me! And I well remember the old days when I could only take in $10 in quarters no matter how many were visiting. My husband would not like it either! He enjoys being able to take things back to his room that we purchase for him while I am visiting. He can have 6 drinks and 6 snack items to take back with him.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Make Sure That He Has All The Phone Numbers That He Is Going To Need Because He Can Only Update His Phone List I Think It's Every 90 Days. Money Has To Be A Money Order Make You List His Doc # On The Money Order It Goes On His Books Quicker. Oh And It Has To Be A Money Order From The Post Office Any Other Kind Will Be Returned. I Just Spoke To The Lady Who Handles The Account Today And She Verified That Has Not Changed. I "think" You Can Get Away With Wearing A Wedding Band As Long As It's Plan But I'm Not Positive But Nothing Else Also No Jackets And Sometimes It's Cold In There. All Visitors Including Minors Have To Be On His List He'll Mail You The Form And Then You'll Need To Return It To His Counselor - Minors Forms Need To Be Signed By A Parent/legal Guardian. He Can Not Take Anything Back So Whatever You Buy You Must Throw Away, Take Home Or Eat There. He Can Take Pictures At Visits But He Has To Buy A Picture Card Each Card Holds Up To 5 Pictures - They Are Polaroids - You Can Take It Or He Can Keep It, If He Does Not Have A Visit Within 6 Mths He Can Take Pictures During I Think Rec, Not Positive. I Actually Got A Copy Of The Offenders Handbook For Miami I Had To Pay For It And It's Not All Update Information But It Helped Out Alot I'll See If I Can Find The Address To Where I Had To Send The Money If Anyone Is Interested Just Send Me A Pm.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:34 PM

I know when my man first got to MCF, I was not on his original visiting list, so he sent me the form and I sent it directly back to his counselor. I waited a week and then went to visited him, he did not know I was coming for it took him two weeks before he got orientation because it was right before Thanksgiving when he got there. I visited him for the first time on Dec. 9th and did not receive my first phone call from him until Dec 15 because it took that long for his pin # to go into effect to use the phone. I know he mentioned a few visits back that you can now order tvs more often than before because of the new list they got. My visits have been fine, no problems. All of mine has lasted two hours. I wear my wedding band in, and I am able to take my inhaler in along with my quarters and locker key. First time I was there, I was scared with the search and all but now its a normal routine for me, but hopefully I won't have to worry about that much longer!!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 PM

It's funny that you say abou the searching because the first time it had me scared too i wasn't sure what to expect after a while it was like yeah whatever. the one time one of the female guards was asking me about the long ride - (i drive from nj) when she was patting me down i said it's worth it just for this she just laughed at me. they are all usually very nice there is a older guy very skinny with glasses who is usually there he is cool he lets us visit longer than our 2 hours.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 PM

Wow! Didn't even cross my mind about being searched. DUH! Oh well, guess I'll get use to it quick. So is the visiting in a large room with tables or what? Do you get to sit next to or have to sit across from them? Sorry for sounding so naive.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:54 PM

Smile Relpy to your thread for Miami Correctional Facility

It's a fairly large rooms, with vending machines. The place you every other table, and I have to sit across from him, but if you're in a group you can sit next to him. They have cards you can play and some other games. We don't play any, we always sit and talk and we usually get a full two hours, unless they are really busy. But it also depends on who is running visitation, some of them can really be jerks. My first time there was scary, with the search and all, but I got used to it. Know the rules and procedure by heart now....LOL!! Have fun at your visit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylove06
Wow! Didn't even cross my mind about being searched. DUH! Oh well, guess I'll get use to it quick. So is the visiting in a large room with tables or what? Do you get to sit next to or have to sit across from them? Sorry for sounding so naive.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:42 PM

I finally got the visitation form and mailed it today. Do you get a letter back stating if you were accepted or not? Do they mail you the rules?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:13 AM

Eddies got to send that stuff(visit rules) to you and he will let you know when you have been aprroved...or you can call...like everything else, they take their dangd sweet time...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 04-23-2005, 02:43 PM

My man sent me the visitation forms to fill out and I mailed them back directly to his counselor then waited for 5 days and went to visit him not knowing if I could or not. He wasn't able to call me to let me know if I was on the list or had any money for commissary so I took a chance. You may be able to call them and find out if you're on the list if you haven't gotten anything from him about visitation. Good luck!!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:36 PM

depending on who his counselor is they may not tell you if you've been approved. i know there has been a couple of counselor who have refused to tell me anything but then some really cool ones.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Oh Goodie! Well, I mailed it on Friday, but I won't be able to go for a couple of weeks. Hopefully someone will let me know.

I really appreciate everyone's help. YOU ALL ARE GREAT
Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 PM

Default miami

my name is joseph and i was just recently released from miami corrections facility. i am here to inform you guys of the horrible and in humane conditions of this prison. first i will say this if you have a loved one that is in prison and he is not in a program dorm then he is on lockdown. all idle dorms at miami is on lockdown. they are feeding these lockdown dorms sacks for breakfast lunch and dinner. my last 3 months i spent in "L" dorm which is the worst dorm on the camp. the living conditions in that dorm is outrageous and the smell is horrific the enter coms in the rooms dont work so if there is a medical emergency there would be no way for your loved one to get help. the windows are broken and the lights in the cells dont work it amazes me how the c/os get a true and accurate if you cant even see in the cells therefore they are cheating at count time because they know we cant move they keep us in the rooms for 72 hours and then on that third day we our allowed a shower this is in humane they dont even allow them to clean there rooms they dont even bring the dorms cleaning supplies no brooms no mops nothing. i need help myself a lot of my rights have been violated while i was there but no one wants to take on my case or go against the idoc. they are wrong at miami. and its like a lot of the c/os that start that job and a lot of them that have been there already have turned into inhumane monsters
The Following User Says Thank You to joseph1190 For This Useful Post:
cjc2934 (08-07-2020)