Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 AM

Default Healthcare in prison?

My father was having vertigo issues and not feeling well. He ended up going to the doctor at the prison and found his EKG to be abnormal so the doctor advised him to be seen at a local hospital for further testing. He went to the hospital to get a cardiac stress test I believe to see why his EKG was abnormal. It was found that his arteries have a 70% blockage. He does have heart disease and suffered a heart attack when he was 40 (he is now 65). He is scared that he won't receive the medical care he truly needs to get better. My aunt is worried sick about him and she keeps asking me if my sister knows how sick he is, as if she can do anything about it. I don't want to upset my sister more. Part of her feels guilty he is in there and she always says if anything happens to him it's her fault and she's killing him. So no. I'm not going to reach out to her and tell her how sick he is. I don't think that's fair to her. She can't control this. He told my aunt that the prison will not pay for the surgery he may need. I'm not even sure what surgery that would be. Has anyone's friends or family had an illness while in prison and how were they treated/taken care of? Who pays for it? Are they inhumane?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,326 Times in 7,495 Posts

I moved your post to this forum for the reason that it pertains to the health of your father.

First of all, your father needs to sign a HIPPA release to somebody in the family so that they can have access to his medical records. He's going to need to be persistent with the facility in putting in requests to see the doctors.

Is he in a state facility, or federal?

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
I moved your post to this forum for the reason that it pertains to the health of your father.

First of all, your father needs to sign a HIPPA release to somebody in the family so that they can have access to his medical records. He's going to need to be persistent with the facility in putting in requests to see the doctors.

Is he in a state facility, or federal?
Okay, thank you. He is in a state facility.
The Following User Says Thank You to SugarMags For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,920 Times in 13,725 Posts

In addition to the HIPAA form which allows the prison, and any treating hospital, to discuss his medical conditions with whoever is listed on the form, research the State's prisoner's medical policies, especially how to appeal any denials of treatment. Dealing with partial blockages of cardiac arteries is common, with implanted stents or sometimes with heart bypass surgery. Once he (or you) can access his test results, along with his diagnosis and prognosis, there will be an available method for him to demand the appropriate treatments, regardless of cost.

Even so, if the State doesn't want to pay for an operation, it may be difficult to have them agree. He needs to file any appeals that are available to him within the allowed time limits. If denied, he needs to appeal each denial, also within a limited amount of time. The end game may require him to hire a lawyer to move the issue into the State courts, but if he gives up objecting, that will allow the State to continue warehousing him without ever providing the medical intervention they are required by law to supply.

If he is in a Pennsylvania prison, here's a starting point.
http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Dis....html&d=reduce