Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM

Default Can Felons Go to College On Campus?

I have been looking at colleges here in Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, and University of Michigan. I was wondering, some of the housing applications do not state anything about the felony background question. Can felons stay on campus at these schools?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,198 Times in 6,665 Posts

Generally, yes. If your conviction is for a sex offense, and you are on the registry, you may have problems, but even those are surmountable.

Btw, college aps are not like employment aps - they generally don't ask about your status as a felon.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:14 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Generally, yes. If your conviction is for a sex offense, and you are on the registry, you may have problems, but even those are surmountable.

Btw, college aps are not like employment aps - they generally don't ask about your status as a felon.
Generally true, and I was looking at a couple of apps with friends recently for various colleges (Cal State system, some of those for-profit private schools, etc.) However, I am researching attending law school and I also completed an MBA a few years ago and I can attest that while having a record won't disqualify you for either, at that level they do ask in my experience. (In law school I'm told it doesn't disqualify you but it may be something that you have to address with the bar association as far as your ethics and character are concerned.)

Just food for thought.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Scott (05-16-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,198 Times in 6,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Generally true, and I was looking at a couple of apps with friends recently for various colleges (Cal State system, some of those for-profit private schools, etc.) However, I am researching attending law school and I also completed an MBA a few years ago and I can attest that while having a record won't disqualify you for either, at that level they do ask in my experience. (In law school I'm told it doesn't disqualify you but it may be something that you have to address with the bar association as far as your ethics and character are concerned.)

Just food for thought.
Law school is different. Getting a license is different. This means getting a license in anything - social work, medical, teaching. Generally, they won't admit to a program anybody who can't get a license - it screws up their post graduation licensure and job placement statistics.

From what I know about classmates from law school - it all depends. If your conviction was recent or was for a crime involving moral turpitude or lying, then you're going to have a major problem with the bar. So, if you kited some checks, were convicted of perjury, or were involved in something they consider morally reprehensible, you're going to have major problems being allowed to sit for the bar. You cannot lie on your bar ap, nor can you prevaricate.

Now, if you have a DUI, or a drug conviction, or even a murder long ago, you may be allowed to sit for the exam. You can expect the bar to have problems with you and to set up some additional requirements for you, but you're probably going to be allowed to sit for the bar.

Sitting for the bar is quite different than being allowed into law school. Law schools themselves tend to be quite liberal, quite into allowing second chances. Especially now. Especially if you score well on the LSAT and have a good GPA. Many do not ask about criminal convictions, especially if you get down to tier 3 and tier 4 schools.

But, remember, this is different from matriculating in a college as a freshman after doing a stint in prison for almost any reason. Sex offenders who are on the registry and on parole can generally find a college that will take them. Again, most colleges are after a diverse student population, including in this population people who've been convicted of major crimes. Many very good colleges are working within the prison system offering courses of study that give students credits from their institutions as part of their overall philosophy of what higher ed is all about. grinnell in Iowa even offers a degree to students at one Iowa prison, and Grinnell is considered a highly selective college.

Please make that distinction between an undergrad degree and a professional degree. Please make a distinction between being allowed into a university and being allowed into a program that ends in licensure. Somebody interested in a particular licesence, say psychology or architecture, should check with the state licensing board about their requirements. When on campus, a student should check with his/her advisor about these matters and formulate a plan to deal with any problems. This is one of the nice things about brick and mortar schools - they have people to talk with who know this stuff flat and can actually help you navigate your path to a profession, or help you find a profession that will embrace you with your particular criminal background.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2017), Scott (02-24-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:36 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Dude, just go. Find a school and apply. Be it Michigan State, Northern Michigan, or University of Michigan, just apply and go. Might help if you apply with the state Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
The only exception I know of is drug crimes. A drug conviction will make it difficulty to get financial aid.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered View Post
Dude, just go. Find a school and apply. Be it Michigan State, Northern Michigan, or University of Michigan, just apply and go. Might help if you apply with the state Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
The only exception I know of is drug crimes. A drug conviction will make it difficulty to get financial aid.
It is not all drug convictions that make it hard to get financial aid, the only question asked on financial aid applications is if you have been convicted of trafficking illegal drugs, and if answered yes I have been told it will disqualify a person from receiving financial aid. I have been out almost 2 years now, I have drug charges, and I had absolutely no problem getting financial aid.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeHoldsMyHeart For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,543 Times in 626 Posts

I believe the drug conviction thing only applies if it happened while you were receiving PRIOR financial aid, as well.

So if you just have a drug prior, but weren't actually getting federal (FAFSA) funds at the time of your crime or conviction, you should have no problem getting future aid.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM

I was receiving when i was convicted. Never effected me. They know the whole backgrohnd and said as long as I answer the trafficking question honestly I would have no problems. Maybe it depends on the actual charges? Maybe mine aren't ones they are looking for? Could be, but I lnow the FAFSA app when I last filled it out only asked about drug trafficking.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeHoldsMyHeart For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (05-17-2017)