Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Default The 1/3 rule does not apply to my gf

I have a couple of questions; however, from reading all the posts, I'm guessing that there are no easy/quick answers. My Girlfriend has been incarcerated at Lee Arrendale State Prison for about 9 years. Her original sentence was for an arson conviction that was a twenty year sentence. The original sentence was suspended and she was placed on probation/parole. Over the next few years, she struggled with a drug addiction. She racked up a few burglary and breaking and entering charges over the next few years. She was sentenced to prison in 2003. On the GA Department of Corrections website it lists her actual release date as being in 2022. That would be the completion of her original sentence, since she served some time prior going to trial.

I checked with the GA Department of Parole last week. She became eligible for parole at the beginning of this month. I know the process takes AT LEAST 6 months. I have a few questions that I have been struggling with and thought maybe some one could help me with.

Why did she have to serve half her sentence before being eligible for parole? None of her offenses were for drugs, weapons, or of a violent nature such as assualt or manslaughter. In fact none of the crimes involved another person. The arson was a fire that was started by accident, no one else was hurt or even involved. The rest of the crimes were burglary and B&E.

Does the fact that she has served half of her sentence already, as opposed to the usual 1/3, help her out in any way. Could the process be faster in her case because of time served? I figure probably not, but a guy can hope,

I realize you can check the website for updates. But what if I call an actual office or go in person to one of the GA state parole offices, can I demand to know what the actual status of her case is? I mean at least certain aspects of the process are in the realm of public record. They should be able to tell me if the Parole Board has at least heard her case or when it should... Well may be not.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part. Thanks in advance...
The Following User Says Thank You to RICH1313 For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (10-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1313 View Post
I have a couple of questions; however, from reading all the posts, I'm guessing that there are no easy/quick answers. My Girlfriend has been incarcerated at Lee Arrendale State Prison for about 9 years. Her original sentence was for an arson conviction that was a twenty year sentence. The original sentence was suspended and she was placed on probation/parole. Over the next few years, she struggled with a drug addiction. She racked up a few burglary and breaking and entering charges over the next few years. She was sentenced to prison in 2003. On the GA Department of Corrections website it lists her actual release date as being in 2022. That would be the completion of her original sentence, since she served some time prior going to trial.

I checked with the GA Department of Parole last week. She became eligible for parole at the beginning of this month. I know the process takes AT LEAST 6 months. I have a few questions that I have been struggling with and thought maybe some one could help me with.

Why did she have to serve half her sentence before being eligible for parole? None of her offenses were for drugs, weapons, or of a violent nature such as assualt or manslaughter. In fact none of the crimes involved another person. The arson was a fire that was started by accident, no one else was hurt or even involved. The rest of the crimes were burglary and B&E.

Does the fact that she has served half of her sentence already, as opposed to the usual 1/3, help her out in any way. Could the process be faster in her case because of time served? I figure probably not, but a guy can hope,

I realize you can check the website for updates. But what if I call an actual office or go in person to one of the GA state parole offices, can I demand to know what the actual status of her case is? I mean at least certain aspects of the process are in the realm of public record. They should be able to tell me if the Parole Board has at least heard her case or when it should... Well may be not.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part. Thanks in advance...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news; but, you can't go to the GA state parole office and talk with anyone. Even when you call the number for pardons and parole the only people you'll be able to talk to are the "customer services reps" (not sure what they are called) and all they can really tell you is what's on the computer.

It might be useful if you look at the "parole handbook" that's on the GA Pardon and Parole website. It gives you general information on what they do when determining parole.

I'm not sure if she is eligible for the Performance Incentive Credits but that helps when it comes to moving up the date of parole. There is a link to that on the Parole website.

I wish you luck and hope she gets out soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brown9121 For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (10-17-2012), RICH1313 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM

In GA Burglary is treated harshly even more so if a residence was involved. The Parole Board does not "hear" cases per se - each member is given files to review and upon which to make a decision. The files move from one member to another for review and decision - the board does not meet to discuss the cases nor do they interview the inmate. This process is one of the reasons why the telephone representatives cannot share any information not on the site - they truly do not know which member has the file and the decision results until the process is completed and forwarded to the appropriate individual to update the site and process the paper works.

Good Luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laneyb For This Useful Post:
pipeliner (10-17-2012), RICH1313 (10-15-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM

laneyb is exactly right, residential burglary is a biggie. You really can't do anything but wait and hope....and pray.

As for parole procedures, there seems to be no hard and fast rule. I'm a male. I had a 10-do-2 sentence. A guy with a 7-do-3 served less time than me and was paroled. When I was inside, generally in the 2-3 year range you would not get parole, it's considered a "short sentence" (didn't seem it to me). However, I've heard lately that's being changed and some are being paroled out early.

Generally you get reviewed at 1/3. If they find something they like, they will "put you off" until a later date for parole review, but she should be informed of that date. About the only thing you can do to help her out is make sure all of her information is up-to-date. Parole address, contact numbers, etc. That will speed the process when it happens, and every little bit helps. I've heard of people going to Atlanta, creating "parole packets" and such but in my experience that really does little to help. The look at official documentation to make the determination, they do not care what the family provides.