Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Default Networking while in federal Prison Camp?

Hello!

In a little while Iím self surrendering to a prison camp and I was wondering if this could be a sorta networking opportunity. At the holding facility where I was held before bail it was mostly while collar criminals: doctors, lawyers, real estate fraud, Harvard businessmen, and the occasional murderer.

I spent most of my time talking with the Harvard business guys and one of them said he ran a software company. Iím actually studying computer science and will resume when I get out.

Would people in there be real contacts? For reference Iíll be in for ďhackingĒ
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,550 Times in 11,004 Posts

I'd read through the post-release requirements; they usually require that you not be in contact with other felons, and they may limit your computer access drastically. You won't know for a while (you don't say how long your sentence is) what your precise requirements will be, but there will be some!
fbopnomore (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 02:11 PM

You will meet some great people that will help the time pass by a little easier. I got a number of peopleís contact information upon release but once I got out, I didnít reach out to any of them. So it is possible but baring any other restrictions, thereís nothing stopping you.

You will meet some of the greatest people..whose only crime is they made a mistake. That doesnít make them bad people.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,341 Times in 11,848 Posts

Supervised release after you serve your prison sentence will not allow you to associate with anyone with a felony conviction for as long as it lasts. One guy I know was violated and returned to prison for having lunch in a restaurant with a "felon".
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,197 Posts
Wink

How long is your supervised release term?

Once you are completely off paper (done with probation) that restriction will no longer apply, and you can once again freely associate with other felons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,999 Posts

There are lot of good people in prison there are lot of intelligent and capable folk in prison. Anyone can lose their way.
However, just a word of caution, be careful about what people tell you about who they are, what they have done and what they can do for you. Not everyone has good motives or your interests at heart.
Just follow your instincts and dont expect too much. Good luck.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army

Last edited by maytayah; 09-09-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
How long is your supervised release term?

Once you are completely off paper (done with probation) that restriction will no longer apply, and you can once again freely associate with other felons.
3 years but my lawyer thinks I can apply to reduce it since Iíve never tested positive for drugs or gotten into trouble since arrest.

Would I be allowed to associate with the associates of felons prior?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBitcoins View Post
3 years but my lawyer thinks I can apply to reduce it since I’ve never tested positive for drugs or gotten into trouble since arrest.

Would I be allowed to associate with the associates of felons prior?
Unfortunately, no. If they find out you've been associating with any felons, even ones you knew from before, that can earn you a violation and send you back to prison real quick.

But 3 years is a pretty short tail. Best to just play it cool and be totally careful until you are completely off supervision.

Your plan of going back to school is a good one. By the time you graduate, you should be completely off paper, therefore they will no longer be able to restrict what type of work you can do either.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 09-09-2018 at 02:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,341 Times in 11,848 Posts

Check with your probation officer on your chances for an early termination. US Probation Officer's handbook says that anyone who has completed all of their court ordered SR requirements should be released early. The truth is that I did, but still served every day of my SR because of an office policy.

It is possible for your lawyer to initiate an early release with the court, and the Judge will decide, but my experience was that unless you have the approval of your PO, it is far more unlikely.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:23 PM

This is a very strange post. I have no advice. I do wish you well!
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
safran (09-11-2018)