Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Which FCIs have air conditioning?

I was wondering if anybody can list all the prisons in the country that have air conditioning.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,197 Posts

Generally speaking, most jail/prison housing units built since the 1990s are equipped with air conditioning, whereas older buildings are not.

So if you can find out when a particular facility was built, that can often give you a rough idea what to expect. But even in older facilities, you might have some newer buildings within that are air conditioned, alongside the older buildings that aren't.

That being said, it would be nice if someone could compile a master list, to assist those who are heat-sensitive. Although I do believe in the federal system, all FMCs (Federal Medical Centers) are air conditioned, so that's another option to look into, for those in frail health where excessive heat exposure might be particularly dangerous for them to endure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,742 Posts

I thought most of the federal prisons had AC. I know for certain that FCI Phoenix, USP Pollock and Victorville do.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,827 Posts

"all FMCs (Federal Medical Centers) are air conditioned"

This is incorrect.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,205 Times in 611 Posts

Duluth Federal Prison is NOT air conditioned. It's been rough over the past few weeks when they've had a few days in the 90s. Now it's finally in the 70s/80s.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,341 Times in 11,848 Posts

Older facilities are not air conditioned, but the newer ones are. FCI Petersburg Low is not, but FCI Petersburg Medium is. Loretto isn't air conditioned and the windows don't open either.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 08-18-2018 at 08:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:20 PM

Some units of USP Marion (it's a USP in name only, it functions as an FCI) are air conditioned. The last I heard, single man cells are NOT air conditioned. Three man cells (yes, three, not two, it's awful) ARE air conditioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSCHULZ789 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The 3 person steel bunk beds in most 3 inmate cells are so cramped that it is impossible to sit on your bed. They are absolutely the worst.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Older facilities are not air conditioned, but the newer ones are. FCI Petersburg Low is not, but FCI Petersburg Medium is. Loretto isn't air conditioned and the windows don't open either.

The windows in Central One & Central Two don't open as they are opaque glass. The other units, South, North, Northeast, and Southeast, do open as they are the original building that belonged to the old seminary that was there. Of course they have bars over them, but they did open.

Preparations were underway to install air conditioning units. That was 2017. Installation wasn't expected until at least this year. I'm going to check with people I know still on the inside there and give and update.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 AM

Most of the units at FCI Ashland are NOT air conditioned. I believe only unit H and R have air conditioning, and R unit only minimally. All of the gathering spaces (gym, chow hall, library, chapel, education, medical, etc.) are air conditioned.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM

FCI Greenville is air conditioned. I believe FCI COLEMAN Is too.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

When I was at Loretto, air conditioning was installed in the CO's office in the original building. There were 2 large fans in the main hallway, but they were chained to the walls so they could not be aimed at any of the rooms.

Have they ever installed microwaves for the prisoners, or is popcorn still contraband? It was the only bop prison I experienced with a paid inmate laundry room and no microwaves. It did have a great library and the only Chapel with stained glass windows.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Duluth Federal Prison is NOT air conditioned. It's been rough over the past few weeks when they've had a few days in the 90s. Now it's finally in the 70s/80s.
None of it is air conditioned?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanked 1,205 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBitcoins View Post
None of it is air conditioned?
The visiting room. So if you get visitors, you're in luck. But of course, that's only open certain days and hours of the week.

If you're in a top bunk, which is most likely, unless you have a medical reason not to be, you'll be worse off. My husband is in a bottom bunk and said that has been unbearable. Fortunately, the heat has broken so it's not as bad now. The windows do open also. He has good roommates so they also don't have any hygiene issues, but I do know of some rooms where guys don't even shower regularly and/or use deoderant. The education building may have a/c too but if you aren't in any of those programs, you can't be over there. So that is another issue altogether!

He has a short memory though because I think the cold is actually a lot worse. It is brutally cold, you have to walk everywhere between buildings, you have to walk every other week to pick up your toilet paper for the two weeks, you have to walk outside to the chow hall, you have to walk outside to the phone and email building, and those they keep the heat kind of low so it is frigid. I remember sitting in the visiting room freezing my butt off, and even now don't ever walk in without some sort of coat because you never know if it is going to be too cold for whatever shirt I am wearing.

In the winter you can buy long underwear, but they don't give it to you, so you want to make sure you have commissary $ for that. In the summer you need to wear your greens (the uniform) at certain times and can't wear shorts, so that makes it even worse in the heat. It's prison, so like I said previously, it is no picnic!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 PM

Sheridan camp was.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
When I was at Loretto, air conditioning was installed in the CO's office in the original building. There were 2 large fans in the main hallway, but they were chained to the walls so they could not be aimed at any of the rooms.

Have they ever installed microwaves for the prisoners, or is popcorn still contraband? It was the only bop prison I experienced with a paid inmate laundry room and no microwaves. It did have a great library and the only Chapel with stained glass windows.

I got out of Loretto in '17, and as of that spring, they did not have microwaves and I don't believe they plan on having them before the 2nd Coming. The individual laundries outside of the main one in the South breezeway were shutdown in March 2017. The company that was servicing them I think did not come to an agreement of terms with Loretto regarding a renewal contract. So, everyone now drops their laundry off in at the main laundry one morning, and picks it up another. I got out of there a few months after that began. I did all my own laundry before that. Glad I did, too.

Popcorn, if my memory serves me correctly, was contraband, but I KNOW that they have a small popcorn machine they wheel out during holidays to serve fresh popcorn. Not frequently, but a few times/year.

Last edited by cal1927; 08-26-2018 at 04:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I think both of those things were pretty unique (in a bad way) to Loretto. I imagine that the laundry was closed when the kickbacks fell short of what the staff was used to getting paid.

The prison factory made wiring harnesses for the military, so everyone used heating coils made there (illegally) to cook with hot water and to avoid tap water instant coffee.

Loretto was my worst bop prison, by far, and I was thrilled when I was able to finesse an early transfer by being accepted into the Life Connections Program.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Supportive Mom

FCI Terminal Island does not have A/C... it is scheduled for installation in 2020. (...apparently the entertainment lately has been watching the cranes life the a/c units onto the roof...)