Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Donation Award 

Default Health Care after release ?

My LO in CA is getting nervous about his release in 2018, what happen's to health care, he has a severe medical condition, and yes someone told me on this platform that he should have thought about twice before going to jail
he is now anxious what will happen on his release.
Can inmates have access to MediCare if this is still in 2018? If yes, who applies, when and where? Is there anything other help he can get? I'm from overseas and have no idea how the system work in the US. Without a job and an employer who provides him with a medical system, what can he do? Someone has probably asked this question before but I was unable to locate it. And I need to try to help him control his anxiety as much as I can...
The Following User Says Thank You to arunabosphora For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (09-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,359 Times in 5,177 Posts

Medicare is a federal program for persons over the age of 65 or deemed disabled.

If his condition is serious enough, he can apply for disability, but it's not a quick process and he has to time his application appropriately. You can read more about that here.

Inmates released in California can apply for state health insurance, Medi-Cal, upon release. Again, no guarantee but it's an option.

Our current administration is trying desperately to cut healthcare coverage funding for programs like Medi-Cal and there's no telling what things will look like in a year. But it's worth applying. Beyond that, if he ends up with no coverage, he'll want to locate sliding scale or need-based medical clinics in the county his is paroling to.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
arunabosphora (06-07-2017), Crazychick12 (06-07-2017), fbopnomore (09-14-2017), Patrickj (09-23-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:45 PM

California is still active in the Affordable Care Act. It is managed through the Covered California Website.

http://www.coveredca.com

Within the site it will explain options. Including eligibility. Normally you must apply during an approximate two month period around the end of the year. Exceptions are allowed for applying at times outside that period for certain "life events". Like getting released from prison. He must apply within 60 days of release of that "event".

http://www.coveredca.com/individuals...g-life-events/

His income will be minimal on his release. So as he goes through application on the site it will put him into Medical.

He should be fine if he does this. Yes there is talk of repealing and replacing the law here. We'll see I guess. It won't happen fast and some kind of transition period will be put in place. Plus California is making noises about creating their own program / keeping ACA going even if the federal government moves ahead with plans.

Tell him not to stress too much. It is most likely he will have options. Just tell him to be sure to make a priority to apply and not delay on his release.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
arunabosphora (06-07-2017), Crazychick12 (06-07-2017), fbopnomore (06-07-2017), miamac (06-07-2017), Patrickj (09-23-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,250 Posts

There is no way of predicting what US Health care will look like in 2018, but CA is one of the best states for getting help. I saw in another post that you are thinking of moving here. If you get married, you could try to get a job that allows for spousal insurance for him.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:00 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,511 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunabosphora View Post
My LO in CA is getting nervous about his release in 2018, what happen's to health care, he has a severe medical condition, and yes someone told me on this platform that he should have thought about twice before going to jail
he is now anxious what will happen on his release.
Can inmates have access to MediCare if this is still in 2018? If yes, who applies, when and where? Is there anything other help he can get? I'm from overseas and have no idea how the system work in the US. Without a job and an employer who provides him with a medical system, what can he do? Someone has probably asked this question before but I was unable to locate it. And I need to try to help him control his anxiety as much as I can...

If he needs medical services and doesn't have any income or limited in come he can apply for MediCal You can find information to apply here Here you can find information on how to apply for SNAP (food stamps )There are changes taking place in these programs, so keep current with them

Last edited by Patrickj; 09-23-2017 at 04:02 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-23-2017), maytayah (09-23-2017)