Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM

yes what can be done about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

WA DOC is purchasing and serving inmates food clearly marked "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

How many insitutions are serving our loved ones food not fit for animal feed?

How can the DOC get away with this?

Not only how can they get away with this, what can be done to stop it????

You may want to consider contacting the local office of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). In 2008 the ACLU in Arizona filed suit because of the deplorable conditions in the Maricopa County Jails, including the rotten food being served to detainees. The case is ongoing. It seems the wheels of justice sometimes turn slowly.
ACLU In Court Today Challenging Conditions At Maricopa County Jail

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Seeks To Evade Federal Oversight Despite Inhumane Living Conditions And Lack Of Medical And Mental Health Care
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM

I don't know if anything can be done about it. And it's pretty much nation wide.. my hubby said in his last term, the news came in because of that and inmates death, and the whole time the news was there, they were feed good food and everything, as soon as the news crews left.. guess what?? It was right back to nasty

I think 49 hours should send someone under cover in there or something.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~ ( I have this tatooed on my bod for awhile, fitting now)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM

[quote=JJT;571063]I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

WA DOC is purchasing and serving inmates food clearly marked "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

[/quote
well, there are many things i agree on any many i do not. i worked in max. prison for over 10yrs. and everyday that i worked i ate the same food the inmates ate and it wasn't that bad. yes, it is bland without much spices but very good when thinking about where you dining it's at least better than some restaurants you'd pay good money for

Last edited by gramspin; 03-15-2011 at 05:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gramspin For This Useful Post:
CraigsWife (09-06-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,536 Times in 13,758 Posts

Nope. Sorry. I bet you didn't eat any the bar-b-q sandwiches that were served to the inmates at the couny jail My Mr was initailly at.....they were 6 months past the expiration date and black. I'll bet none of the employess there were served the same thing. Several inmates were sickened. And that should be illegal.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 AM

I'm confused here, since this is an old thread. My friend asked something about this, so I was wondering what is it about that. is there currently an issue about food not fit for human consumption, or it that more a rumour?

as such serving food not fit for human consumption is illegal: both domestic and international law require that inmates
be provided basic human needs including adequate food.

Last edited by moony; 03-31-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Hello everyone my man is currently @shelton prison in washington and has only been there for a week. He said the food there is 100 times better than oregon. four yeas ago he did thirteen months in OR prison system and worked in the kitchen and he told me the same thing, the food boxes said " not fit for human consumption". H is a chef by trade and is trying t get a kitchen job so i will ask him to check the food boxes at shelton. this is crazy to me they can get away with this. Good job on persuing some resolve on this guys.!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Default What can be done.

Quote:
I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

You should definately write the ombudsmen's office in your state. They will do an investigation. Also the Federal Prison Bureau regulates many of the conditions in the prisons of every state. You can write or call there. If you vote, call your representatives, or go see them if you can spring the trip, your inmate does not vote, but you and 12 other family members do. Even if the practice is normal, or "regulation", if you make it uncomfortable, you might stir up some change. Be very careful about calling the Warden or local officials, your inmate could very well be retaliated against. Lastly, if you can afford it, send him money for commissary.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 AM

My son has celiac disease and he too, passed out and cracked his head on a concrete floor from lack of adequate nutriton. He basically has to feed himself out of the commisary and that is very limited. It took about a year for him to get some alternative foods served to him, and still that is very limited. He has seen the boxes of small, deformed chicken parts that is served occaisionally, and he said it has Cyrillic writing on the boxes. So either it came from out of this country, or was intended for shipment overseas. So probably not fit for human consumption, as per the USDA.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM

I served time at KCIW, and honestly, I thought the food was pretty good. It was gourmet compared to the county jail I was at. Some meals were better than others. The pancakes they'd serve once a week were especially good, but you'd have to rise at 5:45 and trudge to the chow hall in freezing temperatures. One night they had meatloaf and mashed potatoes that were just wonderful - as good as anything you'd get from Cracker Barrel. I guess it depends on the facility. They would serve bologna sandwiches and pinto beans on occasion, and I always skipped that meal.

Last edited by miniplicity; 09-04-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Life,love,stress&setbacks

In Oregon too...packages of meat and fish that say "not fit for human consumption" Like they feed them fish bait and dog food. Yuck...

Last edited by VinnysGirl; 09-04-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Hmp styal- manchester- uk! Chickens- hairy, chickens that cudnt b sold in supermarkets! I neva touched it, it was horrible! Mash- had peppers n shit in, wasnt nice! We had sunday dinners with hairy past sell by date chicken, veg that was rock hard that was left ovas frm places, and the mash with peppers! Breakfast- we wud get a pack with super the night before, it contained, rice crispies- 2 sugars- 3 tea bags and a 100ml carton of milk. Every night we ad that given us. Lunch wud b ham, cheese or noodles- noodles u had to make with hot water. Dinner- mainly pasta shit that looked like sick. Didnt eat it! I liked the curry, the homemade flapjacks and thats pretty much it, i used to by ready brek with my spends and crisps n live of that, we was locked in our cell for a hour to eat, then sent bk to work round the prison. Everyday 7.30 wake up and banged up 7pm. Lunch bang up was 12 til 1. Dinner bang up was 5 til 6. I wudnt let my dog eat prison food, it aint fit for humans, no wonder ppl droppin ded in them!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Just saw my son in Burlington CO....getting me a label that says not fit for human consumption. He works in the kitchen and wont eat most of the food. It cannot be id'd by most. He didnt say anything about anyone getting sick, but the guys in his pod seem to have acess to the commissary better than others. Shouldnt this still be illegal to feed it to our guys/gals in prison.??? I dont understand how they get away with it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM

my baby said the food is real nasty at ventress(alabama), but he was at st.clair and he said they had better food, he said the meat taste like kerosene and half of the time the kitchen dont even have water, i mean OMG! thats so nasty..
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 PM

I hear what everyone is saying,, I don't agree with it all,, I'm laughing about nutrition,, have you seen what they fed the kids in public schools? There isn't much in the way of nutrition as far as I see it but they say it's balanced and healthy,, I ate prison food for 19 months,, fact is I lost weight,, but I was healthy,, I didn't load up on the carbs,, and there is plenty to go around in there,, Canteen,, my husband orders 60 soups (top ramen) a month,, what he orders on canteen is not healthy at all,, junk food! I'm thinking if there is any truth in "not fit for human comsumption" that it just might have more nutrition than fit for comsumption foods! His cellie swore to him he read the same thing in their kitchen,, They have a lot of mouths to feed in prisons,, He writes and tells me what he has for dinner,,seems to be quite a variety and balanced,,, wish someone would feed me some of those meals,, It just isn't moms cooking,,bland,, and the guys that do the cooking aren't exactly gourmet chefs! Sorry if I am offending anyone but just needed to express my view on the prison food issue.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Theresa

It is true . My son was in prison at Elmore in Alabama and worked at the meat processing plant . He said the boxs clearly state NOT FOR HUMAN COMSUMPTION !! He said the beef meat patties are cow hearts ground up with the arteries and all in to supposed to be hamburger patties . If I am not mistaken Ventress , Staton and Elmore are on the same road . Sure they have the same food ..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason'sMama For This Useful Post:
gagirl09 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Buddy loves Shar

I have heard many horror stories from my guy about the food. It is terrible that they feed this slop to our families in prison. What can we honestly do?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 AM

In hmp styal i put alot of weight on, i went in size 6 cum out size 12 thats not cuz i eat alot, thats cuz the food is plastered in lard n stuff, everyfin has that much grease on it, its so unhealthy, suprised ppl ay avin heart attacks cuz it ay good for ya, mays well eat few tubs of butter and few boxes of lard
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,682 Posts

If they have commissary, then you give them enough money for a full buy of food. My lil girl says the same cooks at prison are at her school-most things are undercooked, overcooked or don't look right-thats just food cooked in any kind of institution. They are trying to save money and cut cornors. It's not like what you would buy for yourself.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Forrest City FCI Low also is serving food "not for human consumption"....so my husband tries to eat as healthy as he can through commissary. Can't say I blame him!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Heart broken sister

Default Me to

[quote=gramspin;6027002]
Quote:

[/quote
well, there are many things i agree on any many i do not. i worked in max. prison for over 10yrs. and everyday that i worked i ate the same food the inmates ate and it wasn't that bad. yes, it is bland without much spices but very good when thinking about where you dining it's at least better than some restaurants you'd pay good money for

I also was a correctional officer in medical/mental health and I ate the same thing the inmates did. Yeap, its not biscuits and gravy but it wasnt always bad. Now my brother is in prison and the oats they eat is the same thing they give to horse to eat ... guess what, its oats. The meat they eat is soybean ... guess what, thats on the outside to. Its blah, and bland, and plain ole nasty tasting. But its food.

And you know what else ... there are inmate cooks. THEY get the best of what comes in. THEY get to eat more. And DOC does it cause it costs less. OH .. someone said that when the news people where present the food was great but as soon as they left it was back to "normal". Thats what happened to the prison where I worked, when the "big wigs" of DOC showed up..great food, when they left .. same ole crap. BUT that crap wasnt all that bad.

One of the problems is that they have a certain amount of time to eat and its most likely not enough. At least at the prison where my brother is they have food weekends 4 times a year where we can bring in "real food" and the inmates can eat all they want while visiting but cant take it back with them.

I dont like this either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hywesley1 For This Useful Post:
cornered (03-06-2017), Franbake (09-21-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Grade D meat in CT and anything spicy is power washed roadkill deer.
The "prime rib" or "Roast" every other Sunday is 100% slaughtered old horse!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
28 and counting down

Default Maggots in the Kitchen at SCCC - MO

Breakfast served week before last I believe it was, or maybe early last week even though maggots were present in Kitchen A, serving HUs 3 & 4. Kitchen not shut down until after breakfast line. Then kitchen A closed for remainder of day and those 2 HUs had to eat out of Kit. B, where HUs 5 & 6 also eat, for the remainder of the day ... when in reality the ENTIRE KITCHEN (BOTH SIDES) should have been shut down to assure no infestation and proper cleaning and food should have been brought in.

NO MEALS WHATSOEVER should have been served out of the kitchens, let alone breakfast from Kit. A. Is there ANY WONDER AT ALL why there are usually weekly deaths at SCCC and medical care languishes, even when family members have to write Senators, Representatives, outside sources, and now it seems there is need for the press??

When does it end ... is what we really need the DOJ ... another "Ferguson" type movement with those scathing reports? These are our loved ones and "WE" are the taxpayers who PAY the wages of ALL - legislators, state workers, and everyone who contracts with the state. Forget, did ya? .

F-L-A-M-I-N-G MAD-------------------------
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM

I worked in the kitchen for a private contractor at the facility I just left. Even without the roaches and rats, I was appalled at the food. Not nutritionally balanced at all!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Oh and nutraloaf... I hate the idea of forcing someone to eat something gross as punishment!