Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics & Discussions relating to prison & jail visitation, phones, packages & mail.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Default New phone company in Walla Walla?

My fiance told me that they are changing phone companies from GTL to some other company. Anyone else know anything about this? I can't seem to find any info on Washington State Penitentiary's website. Our funds are about to run out at the end of the month and I don't want to send more off to GTL and have to wait on a refund from them if this is true. He said it is supposed to happen at the first of the year. It seems the website is usually pretty up to date and informative, so I'm surprised this isn't on there yet. Any answers would be greatly appreciated... I hate having to go days without hearing his voice, so any timely replies would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by HisSweetPea; 12-23-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Hi,

well, my boyfriend isn't in Walla Walla, but he did have a paper saying that you can get a refund for the Advance pay account from GTL and that from January first it will be Value Added Communications.
I was also surprised the DOC website didn't have anything on there about this. But this is what I've just been told. So maybe you can call this company and ask them.

Hopefully this will help.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSweetPea View Post
My fiance told me that they are changing phone companies from GTL to some other company. Anyone else know anything about this? I can't seem to find any info on Washington State Penitentiary's website. Our funds are about to run out at the end of the month and I don't want to send more off to GTL and have to wait on a refund from them if this is true. He said it is supposed to happen at the first of the year. It seems the website is usually pretty up to date and informative, so I'm surprised this isn't on there yet. Any answers would be greatly appreciated... I hate having to go days without hearing his voice, so any timely replies would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

My son told me this was also happening at Shelton beginning the first of the year. He wasn'[t sure of the company they were switching to. It would be nice to know. My advanced pay is out and I don't wasnt to put anymore on either if they are changing.

Last edited by JMP's MOM; 12-30-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,660 Times in 762 Posts

As of Jan 2010 all Washington DOC collect advanced pay customers will be required to set up a new advanced pay account with Value Added Communications (VAC)
If friends and family have monies remaining on their currantAdvanced Pay account they will need to call GTL at 1-866-230-7761 in regards to obtaining a refund. GTL will no longer be a long distance provider.

VAC will not be responsible for refunding any remaining funds from GTL. If you want to hear anymore information you can call 1-877-824-8311.

VAC will offer a one free 60 second phone call to allow inmates to imform loved ones of this recent change. An automated system will interrupt the call after 60 seconds and allow the called party to set up a pre paid accountso that future phone calls may go thru.

hope this helps!!

ann
The Following User Says Thank You to MurphyGirl For This Useful Post:
Seattle118 (01-09-2010)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
RESPECT MyMind & MyGrind

THANKS for this thread!!

EDIT:
I called 1-877-824-8311 and you can set up an account early at www.myvconnect.com

Last edited by DisneyPrincess; 01-09-2010 at 10:25 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:
Seattle118 (01-09-2010)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Donation Award 

Thanks everyone, I'm going to request my refund and set up my VAC account right now.
-Matthew 25:36
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
RESPECT MyMind & MyGrind

UGH! Okay, so I went to set up a VAC account this morning because my Global Tel Link Advance Pay ran out last night. Well, I guess they haven't switched yet? The guy said the RUMOR is it will happen tomorrow (the 12th) I'm just going to put money on Global Tel Link because this is annoying. Also, I called Global Tel Link and they lady said she hadn't heard ANYTHING!

Grrr.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM

my guy heard rumors it was gonna switch on the 15th, i hate not knowing i hope they give them at least a day or 2 notice!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

On the DOC website it says that on January 13th 2010 the long distance service provider will be changed from GTL to VAC. The date is subject to change. If you have funds with GTL after Jan. 13th you can call 1-866-230-7761 to receive a refund.

To make phone calls you can either put money on a V-direct account or you can open a V-connect account for your phone number.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
From Beginning to End

gtl won't refund your money if you have a low balance. so i have seven dollars left on the phone with gtl in order for them to give me a refund they charge five dollars to do this transaction but they wont roll the rest of the money to the vac thing whatever it's called so you have to have enough to cover the transaction and to put on the other company's phone as well. well there goes my seven bucks.. lol..
Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,392 Posts

At McNeil Island we have been using the Vdebit account since August. We could still use global tel link if we wanted until Jan but I switched right away after using up my global funds. The phone system is no better - no worse as far as I have been able to tell. For him it is better because he can call any phone number he wants to. It doesn't have to be just my number and he can see the remaining balance on the account. I dont really like it because I can't see the remaining balance. I have to rely on him checking the balance and letting me know when it gets low. If he doesn't check and then it runs out of money I may not know until I miss his expected call.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Last edited by nevaeh2morrow; 01-25-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM

Twin rivers is having some phone trouble right now. At least in C unit. I hate that the phone system changed, always seems to be problems with changes, and we have to pay the price!

every moment together is a blessingand I have faith that he's coming home soon!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Donation Award 

I just got set up for VAC and had my first call. I'm being charged $4.43 per call! What's up with that? Whatever happened to $3.50 per call!?
I understand having to pay taxes, but that's almost $1.00 per call!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,392 Posts

MurphyGirl ~ I don't know what's up with that! Mine has stayed the same. You might want to check on that.

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

momstime

When you use that phone service is there a way to access the account on line to look at his phone activity, calls made and time remaining? Kind of like a cell phone account.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Donation Award 

momstime,

I think we have different companies here. With VAC, I just set up the account with my info. It is only good for one phone number, but any inmate can call.
I used this link www.myvconnect.com to create my account. If there is another, cheaper one then please post the link and I'll use that when the funds run out on this account!

EDIT!!!

I'm such a goof! My math skills suck! I used the calculater this time and it came out to $3.63 per call.

Last edited by MurphyGirl; 02-02-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

The prison industry is sure getting profitable. Regular phone service to inmates is selected by the highest bidder so they charge whatever they want. These are multi-million dollar bids. Then mini phone service providers sell "discount" access plans to the families of inmates with a big profit. In the end they are buying line access to the phone networks for pennies.